Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Pipes Pipes and more Pipes...

Comments

• Options
    @RockyMountainBriar I love those tobacco jars, and that 4th gen pipe looks great. 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    @Zouave
    I like the 4th gen, but it smokes wet as hell.  I have the smooth orange contrast ball F,F&F from a previous year too.  The older orange contrast one smokes wet as hell also🙁.  I only have a few bowls through each though, so I am hoping they dry out.  I’m still looking at this years smooth orange contrast rhodesian, but there are only a few, not so good grained ones, left.  I just don’t have the cashola at the moment.
    Over the years I have acquired six of those tobacco jars and I am always on the lookout for
    more.  Usually they are over priced though.  Only thing about having them all exactly the same….I don’t know what tobacco is in each until I open them.  I really need to make some little, easily removed/transferred labels for them.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar good to know about the 4th. Gen pipes. I keep looking at them, but couldn't make up my mind on them.  
  • Options
    Just giving someone a heads up; here's a Sav Canadian for a good price ($65 unsmoked). I own several and they are all great smokers.

• Options
    Some jamoke/s bought up the last two natural and brown Savinelli 2019 Collection pipes on SPC today.  I have been looking at them in my wishlist for awhile…apparently 2-3 years.  They were just a bit too spendy.  I missed out on the last Savinelli 2016 Collection pipes a few months ago too, snooze, ya lose.  It sucks not being independently wealthy.

• Options
    Somebody buy this pipe for me and I'll pay you back over the next year :D I LOVE THIS PIPE!!! This is the best one I've ever seen CC make!

• Options
    edited September 2022
    @vtgrad2003
    You bastard, quit eye-ball’in my pipe😬
    If I got it, I’d straighten the stem.
  • Options
    @vtgrad2003
    I like these two….and many more.  My SPC “favorites” list is waaay too deep to find them all.  I actually prefer this Dublin to the danish-esq billiard.  I’m not a big fan of a Danish type tapered bowl (narrow top) on a billiard.  I also want a nice cherrywood/poker, and this one would have fit the bill.

• Options
    That's some DAMN fine grain.
  • Options
    My big problem is that I have to stay under 2 ozs or clenching starts to hurt my teeth but most of his are over 2 ozs, so I really drool when something like that billiard comes out at well under 2 ozs.

Hands down Cavicchi gets the best briar out there and knows how to exploit it. The story is (and whether it's true or not I don't know) he's childhood friends with someone that supplies Sav with briar, and after a harvest, that guy always calls him first so he can come take his pick before he sells the rest. Again, I don't know if that's true or not, but I can't see how a small carver can get the best briar on the market and sell his pipes at those prices if its not. 

• Options
    @vtgrad2003;
    If I sold all my pipes, my pickup and my Tobac Tin collection, I might be able to afford that beauty. 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    I’m getting excited.  The release date for the Peterson CPG/PPN (Certified Pete Geek/Peterson Pipe Notes) limited edition pipe is drawing near.  It is going to be a sandblasted deluxe system D18 Oom Paul with the “Harp” line bowl stain and a vulcanite P-Lip.  I’m not a fan of the “Harp” line stain without the red/black Cumberland stem, but I couldn’t pass up the first edition CPG/PPN run pipe.
    https://petersonpipenotes.org/2022/08/28/299-announcing-the-cpg-commemorative-deluxe-system-pipe/
  • Options
    mapletopmapletop Master
    edited September 2022
    So we had out monthly pipe club meeting last night and the Chicago pipe collectors club has a number of very well known pipe carvers in it ranks, I mention this only because we have a newer member who revealed last night that he is a carver (10 years) also.
    He brought a number of his latest creations with him last night (sold one) to show us his work, I was impressed by his work and creativity and took some pictures to share with you..

I thought this next one was creative, an acorn wrapped in an oak leaf.

• Options
    @mapletop
    He’s not satisfied with the mundane, that’s for sure.  Those wild ones must have took some time.
  • Options
    I saw these and thought they were kinda cool.  Looks like a Savinelli 320/321.  I’d buy one, but my pipe budget is all used up until I pay for my PPN/CPG pipe.
  • Options
    I'm not buying any more pipes! I'm not buying any more pipes! I'm not buying any more pipes! Let me put it this way, I'm not buying any more pipes!
  • Options
    @opipeman  You just keep repeating that mantra; till, and then you own another pipe, but the up side is you will be happy
  • Options
    @Zouave
    That is my little sister and her hubby exactly.  Except his passion is Radio Controlled airplanes,  including real fuel burning real jet engine models.  Those things are hella expensive.  I think he has one that is close to, if not over $20K….yep, those are US dollars too😳.  All it takes is a little mistake or another AHole with the same frequency turning his radio on and down in flames…actual flames….it goes.  Although nowadays I think the radio receivers filter out unwanted signals better than when I used them.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar  Yeh, they are cool though difficult to watch (small and fast), they must be very difficult to fly as well.
    At that price point I'd rather double the funding a get a gyro-copter, actually I'm soft peddling the price; they are more than that and when you include flight training you over 100K
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    I’m not sure where this should go, but it should be ok here.
         Anyway, I received my brand spanking new Peterson 2022 Halloween pipe yesterday.  When I purchased it, I had an “idea” in mind.  Normally, if I’m looking at buying a sandblasted pipe, I would look for some nice ring grain, barring that, a least an even, symmetrical ring blast L/R of some sort.  I’m not a fan of the “moon crater” blast look, unless it’s on the Neerup “Harvest Moon” special edition pipes.  This time I specifically picked a non-symmetrical pattern, “moon crater” on the right side, partial ring on the left side.  I saw a pattern🙂
         Now, hopefully my idea will work.  I took a chance and started sanding on a brand new pipe😳. It worked and it looks as I wanted it too.  I just took the very top stain off of the ring grain.  Surprise!  A “spider web” on the ring grain side just as I had hoped, without completely thrashing the pipe or finish👍🏻 
         After chamfering the tenon, taper drilling the stem airway, clearing the pipe airway to 4mm, drilling a small well in the shank, and removing the bowl coating, I loaded it last night with some C&D “Espresso”.  It smoked very well on it’s inaugural bowlful.  I’m ready to load it again this morning to have with my Java.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar that's a great looking pattern. I'm not a huge fan of the Peterson rustication, but the Peterson sandblasting is pretty spot on. Nice work making that stand out more!
  • Options
    May you get a quick return to health, @KA9FFJ