Home Tobacco Talk
Options

What are you guys smoking right Now?

Comments

• Options
    I started the day with GH Balkan Mixture in an MM Diplomat with Ethiopian Yirgacheffe on the side. Follow up; GH DVC in an MM Rory with Columbian coffee.
  • Options
    Cold weather and all the Latakia talk made my give it another try. EMP in a Chacom. Still don’t like it and I don’t like this pipe either. Guess it was a bust all around.  
  • Options
    @Beetleman
    I hate Latakia, so I sympathize; I hate perique as well, lol. As they say, "onward and upward"
  • Options
    vtgrad2003vtgrad2003 Master
    edited January 2022
    @Balisong
    Good luck with that one!  :D
  • Options
    Low Country Santee in a Sav Venere Canadian, and still waiting on the cigars I ordered which appear to lost in the USPS system right now (go figure). 
  • Options
    For a change of pace I had C&D Yale Mixture in an MM Diplomat. It claims to have some Latakia, good luck finding it! Now I'm enjoying GH Balkan Mixture in an MM Pride and a cup of coffee while watching the Pittsburgh/Baltimore game.
  • Options
    CRF in a grabow grand duke
  • Options
    Griffin’s robusto 

• Options
    String Duster in a Grabow Grand Duke using something I've always been curious to try, the Savinelli charcoal filter
  • Options
    @vtgrad2003
    Do you find that the flavor is sapped out of the tobacco with filters, especially the charcoal type?  My guess is, probably not, it seems I have heard you speak of filters before?
    They do for me, just wondering.
  • Options
    An after dinner smoke of Newminster “Blackberry Brandy” in an MM Apple Diplomat.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar

I've been using balsa filters for a long time but this is the first bowl I've tried the charcoal filters, especially the Sav charcoal filters which are supposed to be "better" than other charcoal filters (I don't know why), that said, here is my experience with them and this is just how I see it, obviously everyone will have their own analysis/opinion as well. You also have to realize that I sometimes inhale--retro, through the nose, and directly; not always, mind you, but out of every bowl's worth probably 3 or 4 drags (I don't inhale aromatics though, only non-aromatics), so tar, especially, is of concern to me. I could care less about stopping any nicotine or anything else...I have way too many vices to be concerned about nicotine, and nicotine doesn't cause cancer.

Balsa filters:

Pros:
    There is certainly a reduction in the bitterness caused by the tar. Even though most say balsa filters are only good for moisture, that's a load of crap, especially when you pull one I'm using after only a few bowls and its jet black and covered in tar. Granted, it's not a 'mesh' or fiber filter like a cigarette filter, so some of the smoke and tar does go around the filter, but a lot of it does get trapped on it and to me, that's probably a good thing (less tar is always good).

Other than that, I notice zero change in the flavor of the tobacco itself, sans tar. 

Cons: 
    Some of the smoke does go around the balsa and therefore the smoke isn't "filtered" per se, and that is the reason for trying the charcoal filter. Balsa trees in Indonesia caught covid (they should have gotten vaccinated or wore masks  :D ) so there seems to be a shortage of balsa right now.

Charcoal filters:

[Keep in mind that I've only smoked 4 bowls using a charcoal filter so far.]

Pros:
    Fits nice and snug in the tenon so all the smoke is being filtered. Greater reduction in moisture than the balsa. A "cleaner" tobacco flavor so to speak. What I mean by that is now nearly all the tar is gone from the smoke so all you taste is pure tobacco. By definition, then, the blend does taste different than before, but different in a good way or bad way would be in the eye of the beholder. To me, the jury is still out on that one--I'll have to smoke more bowls; it certainly didn't 'wow' me but also wasn't bad at all, just different. One effect I was not expecting was the ability to smoke through a gurgle. Some smokers smoke right through a gurgle without doing anything about it, I can't though mostly because to me, it changes the flavor of the smoke with all that moisture in it. Once my pipe starts to gurgle, I usually do something like slightly blow through it (without blowing the tobacco out of course) to try and clear it or use my poker to move the tobacco away from the draft hole. Last night, though, my pipe started to gurgle and I smoked right through it without any change in the flavor of the tobacco, which was odd I thought, but most likely related to the fact that the filter is doing such a good job catching the moisture, so the smoke is much dryer than it would be with balsa or none. The last unexpected thing I noticed was how cool the smoke was, and how cool my pipe was over all.  

Cons: 
    More expensive than balsa, but also more readily available. It not only catches the tar, but I can also tell that it catches a little (and I stress "little") of the casing and toppings, which makes sense (i.e., all the smoke is being filtered, unlike balsa). So the tobacco is slightly 'less sweet' if that makes sense. But the most noticeable effect is that the draw is reduced (which also makes sense). This gets some getting used to for sure, but I got over it fairly quickly and it wasn't really a bother anymore. But for those smokers that prefer a wide open draw, they may need to redrill their airways if they switch to these filters; I prefer a restricted draw though like with my cigars, I don't cut the end of the cigar, I punch it in order to better 'focus' the draw and smoke, so to speak. 

That's my two cents. Again, let me get through a few more bowls of using these before I pass judgement on overall flavor--again, it is different, but in a good or bad way, I don't know yet.