Home Pipes & Tools

Pipe refinishing

Comments

• edited December 2020
    I use painters tape on the shank as well, right up to the band though,  then I use white polishing compound on the buffing wheel that I have dedicated for metal.  For the final buff, I take the tape off and polish it with carnauba wax on a (different) soft buffing wheel.  I'm too lazy to use sandpaper and micro-pads much. I sand to 600 if needed, then use the buffer with 3 or 4 steps of compound depending on the need.  I have a pretty course (green) compound that works to sand off the black under-stain on pipes that I am contrast staining very quickly without the need to go back and smooth out the finish again.  The pipes end up pretty smooth and shiny, especially for a smoker and not a "rack queen".  All of my pipes are smokers, I have not smoked them all yet, but I'm working on it :)
  • @KA9FFJ thanks again. I'll have to check the grit of the papers I have.
  • KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited December 2020
    Oh, almost forgot. 
    Two things:
    This is a RONA pipe ( please no "rona" virus jokes) 😏 But I could use some history info on this pipe.
    Also, failed to mention that this one is a sitter...
  • Anyone out there with info on RONA pipes? 🤔
  • Going to start on a Savinelli Oom Paul #604. I won't know much about my course of action until I give both the stem and stummel a thorough cleaning...
  • @KA9FFJ

When you think of it, you’re in the resurrection business....
  • Stem is 2 micro pads and a buffing away from being finished. I was BARELY able to save the stamping. It was very shallow and I had to use an eye loop while I worked on it. 
    The stummel has now been cleaned and I think it will wax and buff nicely. 🤞
    Anyway, here's the stem so far...
  • @KA9FFJ

Like @Corey562, you, Sir, are a true craftsman.
  • @motie2
    Thank you brother, much appreciated...
  • Another beautiful restoration! I have a 313 with that same carving, is there any way to get a rough idea of when they were made?
  • @Balisong
    Automatically I would say:
    @motie2
    @PappyJoe
    or @RockyMountainBriar
    not necessarily in that order, should be able to help you out with that.
    I'm sure there are others here at TPL, but these were the first to come to mind. Try checking with them...🙂
  • Just finished sprucing (or should I say cherrying 😏) up this ROPP Supreme.
    I used to have a cherry wood pipe YEARS ago, and as I recall, it smoked pretty good. 
    Anyway, another one ready for the show (if it happens)...
  • @Balisong

The Savinelli Roma 313 seies ?

<<The Roma is one of the most perennially popular series of the venerable Savinelli company, and a quick look at the pipe will show why. Classic, hand friendly shapes, top notch rustication, a vulcanite bit as well as a pretty band of smooth briar on the rim. This is a solid lineup upon which to expand a rotation.

The Roma Series is one of the most famous Savinelli pipes in the world. Dark rusticated finish with both rim and bowl stained using the same natural burgundy color. A little brass band adorns the ebonite stem. Model 313 is a half-bent model known as Prince. A rounded bowl shape.>>

• @Balisong
    One of the great mysteries of the pipe world is why 99.9% of the pipe manufacturers have never attempted to provide a means of dating when a pipe is made - the lone exception was Dunhill. (I don't know if White Dot, as Dunhill is now known, has continued the dating.)

I think the number one reason for this, is that the pipe carvers/manufacturers don't look at pipes as being collector items and therefore don't take the time and expense to make the effort. That being said, collectors have been able, in some cases, to date year ranges when certain pipes have been made. Kaywoodie, for example, started out with two digit pipe numbers and then in the mid- to late-50s, switched to a four digit system which lasted until the late 60s/early 70s when it switched to a three digit system. Enterprising collectors also noted that the number of holes in the metal stingers of a Kaywoodie could also be used to identify a date range.

Anyway, I know of no way to identify when a particular Savinelli pipe was made. The best you could do would be to email Savinelli.it and ask when they started making that pipe shape. They will put you in contact with the U.S. rep (I can't remember which company it is.). I went through this method to find out information on a Savinelli Giubileo D'Oro 510KS I found at a antique/flea street sale in 2014. The best they could come up with was it was one of the first generation Giubileo D'Oro pipes made for the golden anniversary Savinelli. 
  • Thanks for the input @KA9FFJ, @motie2 and @PappyJoe. I bought some interesting estate pipes for short money on ebay 8 or 10 years ago. It has bowl carving/lines like the Savinelli @KA9FFJ had just restored. Based on the design it has the look of what seems like the late 60's early 70's. Savinelli calls it a Prince but it's not the classic Dunhill Prince, of which I'm not a fan. When it come to pipes I'm a pragmatist, I not would spend big money on a pipe when I'm going to clench one end by my teeth while applying fire to the other end!
  • @Balisong
    The Savinelli “Alligator” series has the same type of carving.
  • Thanks @RockyMountainBriar! I  came across those on a blog site. It's just a weird pattern that has no reason to be on  pipe.
  • Just by-the-by, here are Savinelli's such as you have never seen.....

https://www.savinelli.it/rw_en/pipe-freehand.html
  • Next project:
    Kaywoodie Century Model, no #, but it does have the old cloverleaf KBB. The stamping is extremely light, and I'm hoping I can save it.
    The stem and button will have to be redone to fill in the missing areas.
    Anyway, here it is the before:

• @KA9FFJ
    Ahh, you were messing with me🙂 I thought🤔 I had never seen a Kaywoodie with a circle stem logo?  I had to go looking, then I realized it could be a Yello-Bole.  I finally saw that was the case after I “punched-in” on the shank nomenclature 🙂
    Great shape, maybe a little devoid of grain?  I am looking forward to seeing the end result though.
  • @RockyMountainBriar
    You are exactly correct. I had just inspected a Kaywoodie and obviously still had that name in my head when I posted. As you said, it is in fact a Yello Bole.
    Tnx for the observation. 

• KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited January 2021
    Phase 2:
    Stummel completed. Managed to save the very light stamping on the shank.
    Cleaned, lightly sanded (had varnish, Ugh), stained, polished and buffed...
    Now I need to wait at least until tomorrow for the stem to totally dry. Once completed, I'll post the final...
  • @KA9FFJ

And, I see you have superb taste in Private Stock tobaccos....
  • @KA9FFJ
    Well, Yello-Bole is made by Kaywoodie, so you’re good 🙂👍🏻