Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Pipe refinishing

Comments

• Options
    @RockyMountainBriar
    Agreed. A zulu to me can be a very simplistic example of elegance...
  • Options
    Started another pipe. The stem on this one is chewed up pretty badly, so I did an initial cleaning and fills... I'll also have to partially rebuild the button as well...
  • Options
    Oh, the pipe is a JOST'S Olde English Deluxe. The stamping is very thin, but I should be able to save it... although the last half of "Deluxe" is actually gone.
    I have cleaned the stummel, including the charred rim. I will give it a near matching light stain and, after waxing and buffing, I'll see how it turns out... 
  • Options
    Stummel completed. Now I'll start filing on the stem. When completed, I'll show the final...
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited January 2021
    3 files, 500 grit, 800 grit, and 1000 grit later, here's the repaired button and stem...
    I'll show the final after stepping through the micro pads, buffing and polishing...
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ;
    Another masterful job, brother!
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ Had a question regarding the St. Louis pipe show, as I fugue if anyone knows you do.
    Wanting to know it the show is still scheduled, (not canceled)  and if it is still scheduled do you think it will still go on based on what id happening in your area?

Appreciate your input, thanks

• Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited January 2021
    @mapletop
    I received my usual invitation to secure a table at the St. Louis pipe show. However, I could not get a definition of the CDC guidlines that were going to be in place (social distancing, mask wearing requirements, etc.
    After discussing it with my wife, we both came to the conclusion that I will pass attendance this year. It grieved me to make that decision, but there are several factors of which I'll name a few:
    There may be last minute changes that would leave my table investment jeopardized, not to mention greatly affect attendance ( which will probably happen anyway).
    There would be people handling my restored pipes, which could result in  chances of Covid contamination. ALL my pipes are Covid free, and I want to keep them that way. I'm sure there may be ways around these problems and risks, but it just isn't worth it to me.
    So now I have over 55 restored pipes, and no show to offer them up for sale.
    Well, I've said it before, these pipes don't eat or drink anything, so we'll see what happens.
    But as far as the show, I'm waiting until next year...😔😪😔
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ

Have you considered online sales? I would think that members of this site would PM you to aquire a piece or two that they've seen return from the ashes.
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ  Thanks so much for the response and insight, went on to check if the status of the show had been updated and found that it had, its been Canceled
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ I have been wanting to ask, what's the best way to get such a glossy shine on the briar? I use the carnuba wax, but is it good to use a high speed polishing wheel,not simply polish by hand? I know it's may seem like a silly and simple question, but your finishes look amazing. I have been able to get it close, but nothing like the level you achieve. 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    @Zouave
    Hope you don’t mind if I chime in, hard block carnauba on a buffing wheel at a “slow” speed, too fast and it melts and deposits chunks on the briar, they will remove easily enough though.  I use the rub-on Paragon wax sometimes when I want a quick shine and don’t want to take it to the buffer.  The Paragon does not shine as much, it also fills in the stamping and turns white.  It is a “biotch” to get out.  Sadly, I don’t remember the surface speed of my buffing wheel, maybe 800 rpms on a 3” wheel.  Chucking a pipe across the garage into the wall will make you cringe a little if it “catches” at high rpms.  At low rpms, it’s not much better.  It’s really scary when I’m buffing the blades on straight razors even at slow speeds.  I definitely pay attention to the angle of attack and direction of the sharp edge of the blade in case it folds.  So far, I have not injured myself....at least not with the buffing wheel😬
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar thank you for the input. That's why I love this group
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited January 2021
    Good stuff @RockyMountainBriar
    @Zouave
    Another tip, after buffing, sometimes a hand buffing with... wait for it... a paper towel can, at times, bring that shine to an even higher gloss.  Many don't realise that a paper towel can be used as a super low abrasive polishing cloth. 
    There have been times I have hand buffed and the results were positively surprising...
    Try it, it can't hurt... especially if your wheel might have too high a speed...
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ thanks for the tip. I'm thinking the RPMs on my polishing wheel may be too high. 
  • Options
    @Zouave
    I use a soft cloth (an old cotton sock) to do a final buff.  As @KA9FFJ says, paper is like a micro-buff.  I sometimes use a piece of brown paper sack on a flat surface to strop my knives if one of my leather strops is not handy.
    Another little “trick” I found that works for buffing silver accoutrements, stems, and briar finishes is an old sock with some (NOVUS step 2 Fine Scratch Remover) in it.  I found out that even after it dries, it will still polish.  I think that the NOVUS 2 is the same or similar to the Brebbia Stem Polish?  but less expensive.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar;
    Nice work! We may have another KA9FFJ in our group.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar;
    Nice work! We may have another KA9FFJ in our group.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar;
    I posted the above over a month ago. I have no idea why it has shown up again and twice.
  • Options
    Just finished some preliminary work on this JOST deep-bowled billiard. Have quite a ways to go, but here's the "before" pics...
    So far I have reamed the bowl, patched some heavy teeth marks and did some initial filing on the stem...
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited January 2021
    Ok, I've made a little progress today:
    Cleaned the stummel with Murphy's Wood Soap...
    LIGHTLY sanded the stummel with 500 grit...
    Made good headway with the stem - only have 2 more micropads, a polishing and buffing to go...
    So far:

• Options

This is a little off category, but I gave my granddaughters some old pipes and asked them to make some art that I can display in my den. A little paint and 15 pounds of glitter and here is the result.
  • Options
    @opipeman
    Smoke those at a pipe club meeting and you might get beat up... 😏
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ;
    I'll never try to smoke them anywhere. They are special as only a grandfather of girls can understand. Besides, if they smoked good at all I would have kept them.
  • Options
    I can hardly wait to see the challenges and progress of your newly acquired pipes @RockyMountainBriar
    From what I can see, it looks as if they were neglected, but at least not abused...
    We will be waiting...😊
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar that's a nice score. Can't wait to see you work some magic on them! Looks like fun.
  • Options