Home Pipes & Tools

Estate Sale - Flee Market - Garage Sale Finds

Comments

• @KA9FFJ
    No problem. I've been doing estate pipe restorations for around six years and I found it pays to be knowledgeable about the pipes before you go into the shops or at least have reference sites bookmarked. I've been burned a couple of times buying what I thought were Sasieni's or Dunhill's that turned out be lesser brands. 

An interesting connection between Dunhill and Sasieni exists. When Dunhill first got into the pipe and tobacco business, they just did pipe repairs and sold briar pipes that were made in France. Alfred Dunhill wasn't happy with the quality and started having Dunhill pipes made by Charatan, where Joel Sasieni worked. Around 1910, Dunhill convinced Sasieni to come work for him making the first of the famous Dunhill pipes. The White Spot first appeared on Dunhill stems in 1912.

Sasieni left Dunhill around 1919 and started his own pipe shop. He thought he could improve on some of the processes used at Dunhill, one of which was how he cured the pipes by baking them in an oven to remove all the moisture instead of using an oil cure treatment. He also decided to use a single blue dot on the stem. This caused numerous lawsuits filed by Dunhill.

There are a lot of other pipes out there with a single dot. I don't know the history behind them or why Dunhill never sued them.

• @PappyJoe VERY interesting.
    Tnx for sharing. If I would have bought it under the pretense of being a Sasieni second, I would have been upset. As it is, I just bought the pipe as a package deal, so no harm done.
    Again, thanks so much for setting me straight... my wife is right, I need it...🥴
  • Only slightly off topic:
    I recently bought two restored estates from Bishop’s Pipes on Facebook and IG. I was pleased with the product, the prices, and especially the customer service. Cherry on top: he gave me a military discount when I gave him my address (I didn’t ask for it. He’s just a kind American)

I really would like to get into cleaning and restoring estate pipes. Seems therapeutic and satisfying, but it also seems like an enormous learning curve to identify and price the finds. 
  • @ChaplainCorey
    When I started restoring estate pipes, I bought cheap estates at the antique junk malls, usually for $10 that had stems I felt I could deal with. Many of them were low end Italian or drug store pipes. I figured if I screwed up a $10 pipe, I was only out $10. 

Then I started reading blogs by professional pipe restorers like Steve Laug at rebornpipes.com. He has some very good articles on techniques and what works or don't work for him. 

Most of what you need is (or was, under the current conditions) readily available - 91% isopropyl alcohol or 190 proof drinking alcohol, micro sanding pads put to 20,000 grit (Hobby Lobby), finishing sandpaper (Lowes or Home Depot) and various polishes and cleaners on-line at smokingpipes.com. 
  • @ChaplainCorey I think I may have said this before. The only trouble with refurbing pipes, is that I never want to get rid of the pipes I refurb. 😁 Be careful is an addictive practice.
  • @ChaplainCorey Replied to your post yesterday in the PIPE REFINISHING thread

• @KA9FFJ nice patina on the third pipe. Can't wait to see the end results
  • KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited April 2020
    @Zouave refurbed and smoking it now. Showing some pics on PIPE REFINISHING...
  • I have four estate pipes available for sale. 
    A Stanwell Jubilee 37

A Comoy Russet 215

A Comoy Castleton 215

And a Savinelli Punto Oro 812 rusticated

Anyone interested can message me for more information.
  • I just listed two more pipes for sale on eBay. 
    A Charatan's Make Executive: https://www.ebay.com/itm/164177895674

and
    a Charatan's Make 483DC Perfection: https://www.ebay.com/itm/164177805198

I'm asking $45 for each on eBay but will sell to a TPL member at a discount. Just message me if interested.
  • @PappyJoe
    That Comoy’s Castleton #215 is a good looking pipe, especially if there is similar bird’s eye grain on the opposite flank.
  • @PappyJoe
    I have a pipe rack just like that, well a little better shape maybe.  Great little wall rack.
  • @RockyMountainBriar
    I'm going to have to clean it up a bit and replace the knob on the drawer but it's in good shape.
    I was surprised it was made using dove tail joints and glue. Not a nail in it. 
  • @PappyJoe
    Yes, I think they were a kind of expensive (well made) pipe rack.  Mine has the mfg. sticker on the back, but I do not remember the company.
  • @PappyJoe
    Not sure if you care or not, but is was/is just a simple wooden knob.
  • @RockyMountainBriar
    It's a shame that the same workmanship doesn't seem to exist anymore. 

I think it would be too hard to find a plain wooden knob that matches without sanding down to bare wood and restaining everything. I'm probably going to find a drawer pull I like at Hobby Lobby or some other place that has fancy pulls. 
  • I dunno, @PappyJoe, I think a small porcelain knob would look nice.
  • edited September 2020
    @PappyJoe
    I will have to take a look at mine.  I might be able to turn one out on the lathe.  I don't think it is any kind of special hardwood, maybe poplar, or birch?  Probably just a hardwood dowel.
  • @RockyMountainBriar
    Thanks for the offer but I'll be able to find something I like. I can get wood ones but I may just go with a nice porcelain pull.

• I may go with one of these.

• @PappyJoe that's a great score. I love the look of that rack!