Home General

31 Days Of Halloween - A Pipe And A Movie

Comments

• @paulwansing Post away. I just bumped this back up hoping others might like to celebrate Halloween as well - in a similar fashion. I really enjoyed the photos you posted last year.
  • jfreedyjfreedy Master
    edited October 2018
    My family and I just finished watching Victor Frankenstein tonight. Really good movie with a significant twist on the Igor character (played by Harry Potter). Great show for the season. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIlvV_gjOlQ

• @motie2 I listen to plenty creepypastas and no sleep stories while at work. They definitely help speed up the time spent in front of the computer. Check out LazyMasquerade on youtube for some good supposedly true stories. Otis Jiry is another great creepypasta/horror story narrator that would appeal to a lot of posters here.
  • @thebadgerpiper -- Thanks for the suggestions.

• Just watched a perfect movie for oldtimers like myself who enjoy a good zombie movie with a little humor and a quirky oddball cast. The film is "Cockneys vs Zombies". And although the title may put many intelligent members off - it's a real hoot. Instead of a group of sex starved teenagers or your typical cast of characters pitted against a horde of flesh eating zombies this film finds the heroes of the film to be a group of feisty 'pensioners' in an 'Old Folks Home'. Since these are the original slow moving zombies George Romero gave us in "Night Of The Living Dead", and not the sprinters we've seen in newer films,  there is a humorous sequence where an eighty year old with a walker is able to outpace and escape the zombie horde. A chase scene to be remembered. Honor Blackman, the actress who played Pussy Galore in Goldfinger is quite good - and funny - as one of the battling residents. I took a chance and asked my wife to watch it with me ... and she genuinely liked it. So I though other intelligent members might find it entertaining as well.    

• Most recent decent "space monster" movie is LIFE.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgOGqWHtjP0
  • @motie2 "Life" turned out being the movie I hoped "ALIEN: Covenant" would have been. It was a complete surprise to me - and a pleasant one at that.
  • Interesting left turn towards the end...... :p
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Whl7QMTlHm8

Saturday Night Live stopped being funny for me several years ago. As of late it just seems to revolve around mean spirited political humor devoid of any real humor. But this particular clip from several season back featuring Hugh Laurie was laced with the kind of toilet humor a juvenile geriatric like myself can appreciate. And it pretty much summed up a majority of the 'Ghost Hunter' type paranormal reality shows on TV, claiming to be an open window to the world of the supernatural. Every creaking floorboard is a signal from the beyond. Floating particles of dust are 'ghostly orbs'. And the sound of a team member's gurgling stomach will eventually be deciphered by EVP 'experts' as the phrase "Get out while you still can."  

For the life of me I've never been able to figure out why they turn out all the lights before going into a pitch black room to experience paranormal events. Prior to any investigation the team talks to witnesses who have experienced the hauntings first hand, and they relate detailed accounts of sightings of Victorian garbed women walking down the stairway, or ghostly children roaming the halls looking for their parents, a headless Civil War soldier ... or any number of similar things. But all these astral visitations the witnesses claim to have seen were either in daylight ... or with the lights on enabling them to see the apparitions with such clarity and detail.

So armed with this knowledge the ghost hunters immediately turn off all the lights and stumble around in the darkness looking for something that - if it was there - would be much easier to see with THE LIGHTS ON. Never once have I seen a team of investigators work with the lights on so they ... and we ... can actually see what's happening.

How anyone can claim to see a shadow in a pitch black room is beyond me. I'm currently sporting a broken toe as a result of crashing my foot into the leg of a chair. A chair which has been in the same location of my bedroom for about two decades. Yet somehow, while stumbling around in the dark while trying to make my way to the bathroom for a 3 AM pee - I slammed my foot into the chair leg, breaking my toe. So if I can't judge the location of a  bloody chair, which I already know is somewhere in the room, how could I possibly see an ominous dark shadow pass before my eyes in pitch blackness?       

• YohananYohanan Master
    edited October 2018
  • @ghostsofpompeii, don't sugarcoat it....tell us how you really feel about those shows  ;)
  • edited November 2018
    I ended the month by celebrating Halloween with a bowl of Russ' Monthly Blend "Candy Corn" in my Peterson Jekyll & Hyde pipe, while watching the movie "The Wolfman".
  • @ghostsofpompeii Love the way you live it and celebrate it, good on you.
  • @ghostsofpompeii

I saw an interesting (?) discussion on TV about Candy corn. Which end is the top; which end is the bottom? The narrow end or the wide end. It's something nonsensical to think about rather than throwing the remote at the screen.

• @motie2 - If you look at candy corn as being corn, the pointy end would be the part that goes into the cob and the fat yellow part would be the outside. Therefore, it should be eaten sideways instead of top to bottom. 

If you look at candy corn as being a pyramid, the top would be the skinny point.

Or, you could look at candy corn as being vampire teeth. The fat part would be the top and the pointy end the bottom of the fangs.

Is that nonsensical enough for you?

• @PappyJoe -- Your thorough analysis is better than the TV discussion I mentioned.
  • Halloween humor

A cabbie picks up a Nun. She gets into the cab, and notices that the VERY handsome cab driver won’t stop staring at her. She asks him why he is staring.

He replies: “I have a question to ask, but I don’t want to offend you.”

She answers, “My son, you cannot offend me. When you’re as old as I am and have been a nun as long as I have, you get a chance to see and hear just about everything. I’m sure that there’s nothing you could say or ask that I would find offensive.”

“Well, I’ve always had a fantasy to have a nun kiss me.”

She responds, “Well, let’s see what we can do about that…

1) You have to be single and

2) You must be Catholic.”

The cab driver is very excited and says, “Yes, I’m single and Catholic!”

“OK” the nun says. “Pull into the next alley.”

The nun fulfills his fantasy with a kiss that would make a hooker blush. But when they get back on the road, the cab driver starts crying.

“My dear child,” said the nun, “why are you crying?”

“Forgive me, but I’ve sinned. I lied and I must confess, I’m married and I’m Jewish.”

The nun says, “That’s OK. My name is Kevin and I’m going to a Halloween party!”

• @ghostsofpompeii — I saw this and thought of you. If only they made pipe tobacco. 

• First they released (unleashed?) pumpkin spice early, and now, Halloween already.

Arrrrrgh :s

But the pipes are kind of neat from an artistic/craftsmanship point of view...... 
  • COMING SOON

Christmas displays at you local Home Depot......it is referred to as marketing
  • I can deal with/ignore it all except.... for the love of God.... they're making pumpkin spice SPAM......
  • Gentlemen
    I am sure that I have eaten more Spam than the average neighborhood kids. Ate it as a kid, ate it in the Navy, ate it often for dinner, and I STILL love it (although the family thinks I am nuts). Nothing better (or worse for my health) to fry up a few slabs of the "mystery meat" with a couple of eggs. And before you judge me I HAVE made it this far. However, I will NEVER eat "Pumpkin Spiced Spam"......never. That would be sacreligious.
  • @pwkarch -- I also, shamefully, admit that I love SPAM. And I agree with you. I will NOT eat this stuff. However, I may slice it thin, dry it out, and try to smoke it.  ;)
  • Not on a plane, not on a train? You will not eat pumpkin spice spam. Try it, try it; you will see. You will like pumpkin spice spam.
  • @ghostsofpompeii I am horrible at embedding and linking to youtube, it never works right. Last year I said I would post photos from the Salem, MA halloween parade but I ended up doing video instead. My youtube name/page is "newenglandpapa" and I posted three parts of the parade each about 10 mins long if you are interested. I will be posting this years as well.