Home General
Options

31 Days Of Halloween - A Pipe And A Movie

Comments

• Options

Day Twenty-Eight: When British author Clive Baker arrived on the scene he did it in a big way with a collection of short story anthologies published as "Clive Barker's Books Of Blood". Clive Barker is equal parts H.P. Lovecraft, Edgar Allen Poe, Stephen King, Dante Alighieri, and The Marque de Sade. The series originally published in Britain consisted of 30 deeply disturbing macabre tales of dark fantasy spread out over six volumes. By the time the US market was finally introduced to Clive Barker his series retained the original title - "Clive Barker's Books Of Blood" for volume one through three, but for volumes four and five US publishers inexplicably changed the titles to "In The Flesh" and "Inhuman Condition", before once again returning to the original "Books Of Blood" title for the sixth and final volume. These brilliantly written dark twisted fantasies were so imaginative and disturbing that Stephen King proclaimed, "I have seen the future of horror ... and it is named Clive Barker". Barker's tales not only pushed the envelope of propriety and good taste but used that line of demarcation as a starting point, shredding the envelope into a million bloody shards with each opening salvo, broaching subject matter once considered taboo, peeling back the dark underbelly of man's primordial fears and insatiable desires. From these six short story collections at least eight motion pictures have been adapted for both the big screen as well as television including the movies: "Underworld" (Transmutations) 1985, "Rawhead Rex" (1986), "Nightbreed" 1990, "Candyman" 1992, "Lord Off Illusion" 1995, "Quicksilver Highway" 1997, "The Midnight Meat Train" 2008, and "Book Of Blood" 2009. All are amazing horror films well worth your time. But in 1987 Clive Barker put his stamp on filmmaking with his directorial debut "Hellraiser", adapted from his novel "The Hellbound Heart". From that movie a franchise was born and the legacy of an iconic new screen villain PINHEAD and his demonic Hellspawn horde of inhuman monstrosities known as the Cebonites. As well as the mythos of the intricate Chinese puzzle box known as the Lament Configuration, which opens the portal to Hell and a world of unimaginable pain and pleasure. Eight sequels followed Barker's original, each successively worse than the other, with a new reboot of the series currently in production.

"Hellraiser" stars Sean Chapman as Frank, an obsessed sex addict with an insatiable appetite for deviate carnal pleasures. In his quest for the ultimate sexual experience his journey leads him to a mysterious individual who presents Frank with The Lament Configuration Chinese Puzzle Box, which when solved will open up a world of sadomasochistic pleasures beyond his wildest imagination. After solving the puzzle Frank gets far more than he bargained for as is literally skinned alive by a race of demons from the pit of Hell called the Cebonites, led by a fiendish creature we come to know as PINHEAD. Doug Bradley has since made a career assuming the role of PINHEAD, becoming the pivotal lead character in the subsequent films, expanding his minor role in the original film to become the face of the franchise in much the same way as Robert Englund did after assuming the role of Freddy Kruger in The Nightmare On Elm Street series. The movie also stars Andrew Robinson, Clare Higgins, and Ashley Laurence as an already troubled household who find themselves victims of Frank's obsession and fodder for the sadistic Cebonites which he unleashed upon our world by his actions. The Cebonites are played by Nicholas Vince (Chattering Cebonite), Simon Bamford (Butterball Cebonite). and Grace Kirby (Female Cebonite). The film is not for the squeamish as it can get quite messy, so I'll give it a 3 1/2 bowls rating out of 5.

Today's featured pipe is my Italian made Molina Bent Rhodesian. A beautiful ebony pipe and a superb smoker. It's got some weight to it so it's more of a holder than a clencher. Tonight's blend I'll be looking to increase the chill factor so I'll be smoking Sutliff Frosty Mint. That minty menthol kick is sure to bring down the temperature and kick-start the goose pimples.             

• Options
    @ghostsofpompeii

I just need to know, not being nosey or anything......but do you have a warehouse or storage cubicle somewhere to store all of this stuff?

Once again, GREAT job.

• Options
    @pwkarch No, it's all located somewhere on display in my house. The majority of it is my extra bedroom which doubles as my museum of collectibles and movie memorabilia, the computer room, and my music studio.  Talk about making the most of an 8 x 10 room. Not to mention the closet houses a good portion of my jarred aromatics. We keep talking about moving to a condo, but I'd probably need an additional condo for my movies, CDs, tobacco cellar, and all the other collectible junk I'm accumulated over the years. But believe it or not you can come over to my house anytime of the day or night and it's not cluttered or messy. My wife keeps a tight ship, and before we buy something new we make sure there is a place for it, otherwise it's a no go. I think it drives my sisters insane that the house is always neat and tidy as if we're expecting company. That's why they tend to drop over unannounced from time-to-time expecting the place to have the 'lived-in look' with clothes and munchies wrappers scattered around. Just yesterday my son was joking with me and commented on how he's getting his apartment organized to make things easier to find. And he said ... "A wise man once told me the key to success is organization." Knowing full well that I was that wise man. And to this day it's something I've try to live by.
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii
    WOW.....creative and organized. I have to admit I am a neat freak as well as my wife. EVERYTHING has to be in its' place and organized, or we are uncomfortable. My office is almost the same size as your work space. I am lined with 2 desks, 3 computers, and wrap around bookshelves. There is a small closet that was initially a storage closet for office supplies which now is predominantly my "cellar" for pipe tobacco, and a spot for my humidified cigars. Then there are an additional 30 some quart Mason jars under the desks in boxes. But it all fits and works well.
  • Options

Day Thirty: Halloween is almost upon us and the 31 Days Of Halloween are drawing to a close, and as might be expected I've saved the best for last. You couldn't possibly think I'd feature the third and fourth film in the ALIEN franchise without including the film many deem to be the best science-fiction sequel in cinema history, James Cameron's 1986 "ALIENS". Whereas Ridley Scott's "ALIEN" was a sci-fi horror opus set in the claustrophobic confines of a space ship with a single horrifying alien stowaway on board; "ALIENS" expands the battlefield to include an elite strike force of Colonial Marines, a hive of ALIEN Warriors - plus an egg laying Queen. "ALIENS" is filled with enemies from within as well as without. Including an unscrupulous corporate executive with his own agenda. 

The original screenplay for "ALIEN", written by Dan O'Bannon, borrows heavily from the 1958 sci-fi thriller "It The Terror from Beyond Space" as well as Italian filmmaker Maria Bava's 1965 stylish "Planet Of The Vampires". Another influence seldom mentioned is the 1958 low budget thriller "Night Of The Blood Beast" in which an astronaut becomes the unwitting host to a bellyful of alien embryos once infected by an alien spore. "Alien" is said to be O'Bannon's homage to these early films. And with his story, coupled with the twisted imagination of conceptual artist H.R. Giger and visionary director Ridley Scott they presented a groundbreaking film far grander in scale, scope, imagination, and panache than any 50s' sci-fi film could ever hope to achieve.  

"ALIENS" is a nail biting, testosterone driven roller coaster ride that will have you on edge of your seat and occasionally peering sheepishly between your fingers. All the blood drenched face hugging, chest bursting shock and awe from the original returns in addition to a few nasty unexpected surprises. The film stars Signourney Weaver reprising her role as Lt. Ellen Ripley - now fifty years older but none worse for wear since she was in hyper-sleep; Paul Reiser as corporate shrew Carter Burke who oversees the rescue mission to Planet LV-426 to locate a missing colony of terra-farmers (a incident possibly triggered by his actions); William Hope as Lieutenant Gorman, an officer with no actual combat experience to lead the team into hostile territory; Lance Henriksen as Bishop the artificial person (robot) assigned to the team; Carrie Henn as Newt, a 10 year old girl and the only living survivor of the colony; and a surly group of bad-assed Colonial Marines who soon learn who the real apex predators on the planet are ... and it's not them: Michael Biehn (Corporal Hicks), Al Matthews (Sergent Apone), Bill Paxton (Private Hudson), and Jenette Goldstein (Private Vasquez) are cast as leading characters, seeing a majority of the on-screen action; and rounding out the squad in supporting roles are Mark Rolston, Ricco Ross, Colette Hiller, Daniel Kash, Cynthia Scott, Rip Tipping, and Trevor Steedman.

"ALIENS" is not just a sci-fi classic - it's one of my all time favorite films so naturally I'm awarding it a 5 bowls out of 5 rating. And if I could go higher I would.

Today's featured pipe is an American made classic - a Dr. Grabow Starfire. The pipe is an old friend that has served me well for the better part of 30 years or more. A sturdy work pipe that has taken much abuse over the years, but still smokes like a champ. Tonight I'll be packing it with East India Trading Compnay "Royal Challenge".           

• Options
    @ghostsofpompeii -- Are you a Stranger Things fan? Hands down my favorite Netflix SciFi/Horror genre series.
    Slight spoiler alert!!!
    - Season 2 has a some pretty obvious nods to Aliens that I thought were really cool. If you have not seen this series I'm pretty sure you'd enjoy it.
    Happy Halloween!
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii
    WOW.....creative and organized. I have to admit I am a neat freak as well as my wife. EVERYTHING has to be in its' place and organized, or we are uncomfortable. My office is almost the same size as your work space. I am lined with 2 desks, 3 computers, and wrap around bookshelves. There is a small closet that was initially a storage closet for office supplies which now is predominantly my "cellar" for pipe tobacco, and a spot for my humidified cigars. Then there are an additional 30 some quart Mason jars under the desks in boxes. But it all works well.
  • Options
    Hey, off topic, but if you like military shows, check out FAUDA (Arabic for Chaos) on Netflix. It is excellent and shows the humanity/inhumanity on both sides of the Israeli/Palestinian conflict.
    97% positive rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
    www.imdb.com/title/tt4565380/
  • Options
    @jfreedy Thanks for the heads-up. I'm a fan of the show but didn't realize Season 2 started already. I'll have to check it out. Don't know if you buy the CDCs or Blu-Rays but I saw the Season One set on a YouTube Channel and it looks great. Since the show is a nostalgic look back at the horror flicks of the 80s' they made the packaging look like a VHS tape.
  • Options
    Still a great series you have going.
  • Options

Day Thirty-One: The 31 Days Of Halloween comes to a close with John Carpenter's 1978 perennial holiday Classic "Halloween". 

Flashback to Halloween night, 1963 - A typical Halloween night in the picturesque Norman Rockwell-like setting of Haddonfield, Illinois where we find young six year old Michael Myers returning home from a night of trick or treating. As he approaches his house, through the window he discovers his sister and her boyfriend necking on the sofa. The pair eventually disappear into her upstairs bedroom. Michael enters through the back door just as the boyfriend is leaving. Michael then casually walks into the kitchen, opens a drawer and pulls out the longest knife he can find. He slips on his Halloween mask, walks into his sister's bedroom, and proceeds to brutally murder her. We then jump 15 years forward to find Michael a resident in a mental hospital where his doctor Sam Loomis is in route to Michael's evaluation hearing. It's clear from his discussion with the nurse traveling with him that Loomis views Michael as Evil Incarnate, and has no desire to ever see Michael let loose upon society. But as Loomis and his nurse approach the asylum they realize something is terribly amiss as patients wander aimlessly about the grounds. Without warning Michael Myers pounces on the roof of car, forcing the nurse from the vehicle and makes his daring escape. The destination - Michael's home town of Haddonfield, where he plans to continue his murder spree on the very night he committed his first murder ... Halloween night.

John Carpenter was only 29 at the time of filming what would become the most successful film of his career. After viewing Carpenter's "Assault On Precinct 13" independent producer Irwin Yablans and financier Moustapha Akkad we so impressed with the young filmmaker that they contacted him to direct an idea they'd been tossing around about a psychotic killer who stalks babysitters. Carpenter and his then girlfriend Debra Hill drafted the story tentatively titled "The Babysitter Murders". After presenting it to Yablans he suggested setting the movie on Halloween night - and after 10 days the pair had written the final script for "Halloween". Carpenter agreed to a meager salary of $10,000.00 to write, direct, and compose the score for the film with a promise of 10% of the film's gross. And were it not for that additional 10% of the profit it would have been the worse financial decision of Carpenter's life. Because upon it's initial release "Halloween", which was made on a budget of $300,000.00, grossed $47 million on a sale of 30 million tickets. By todays standard that would equate to $269 million.  "Halloween" was selected for preservation in the United States Registry by the Library of Congress as "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".

The cast includes: Jamie Lee Curtis (Laurie Strode), Donald Pleasence (Dr. Sam Loomis), Charles Cyphers (Sheriff Leigh Brackett), Nancy Keys (Annie Brackett), P.J. Soles (Lynda Van Klok), Kyle Richards (Linsey Wallace), Brian Adams (Tommy Doyle), and three actors are credited as Michael Myers ... Nick Castle (Michael as "The Shape), Tony Moran (Michael unmasked), and Will Sandin (Michael at 6).

Rob Zombie's 2007 remake failed to capture the sheer terror of Carpenter's original. By trying to humanize Michael with a backstory suggesting he was the product of a dysfunctional family, abused and bullied at school only tarnished the mystique of the Michael Myers. I didn't need to know the psychology of Michael Myers. That final scene in Carpenter's version doesn't leave the audience wondering "who" Michael Myers was ... but "what" he was. A man - or a supernatural force of nature? Or as Doctor Loomis suggested "Evil Incarnate"? And with that I'm giving "Halloween" my highest honor, a 5 bowls out of 5 rating - and highly recommend everyone end the evening's festivities by viewing "Halloween". 

Today's featured pipe was a gift from my good friend Woodsman (Frank), a beautiful Bruyere Garantie Czechoslovakian-Style Hinged-Cap Pipe. And in it I'll be smoking Sutliff Pumpkin Spice ... a perfect blend for the occasion.               

• Options
    @ghostsofpompeii
     Once again, so very well done. For the last couple of weeks I have been wondering HOW and with what you were going to go out with. Very appropriate indeed. And I want to let you know as much as I have enjoyed the photo shoot designs and setups, I congratulate you on the wonderful narratives that you have written.

So after "working" this morning and going to our local school to see the "Halloween Parade" with 3 of my grandkids involved, we now get ready to go to my daughters' house and hand out what is always a 'truckload" of candy. Happy Halloween my friend.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
  • Options
    edited November 2017
  • Options
    edited November 2017
  • Options
    edited November 2017
  • Options
    edited November 2017
  • Options
    edited November 2017