Home General

What are you Drinking while smoking your pipe today?

Comments

• motie2motie2 Master
    @RockyMountainBriar
    Sure, and even before I began drinking rum. My family growing up made eggnog with DARK rum, and Meyers was the dark rum of choice
  • @motie2 - Have you tried any of the Pusser's Rum? When it comes to a dark or black rum, I prefer Pusser's Gunpowder Proof over Meyer's. I understand they even make a spiced rum, but I personally don't care for spiced rums so I don't buy them. 

I do like to explore the variety of rums out there though. I have two bottles at the moment: A Venezuelan dark rum, Pampero Aniversario and a Louisiana Estate Rum, Parade de la vie. The Louisiana Estate Rum is distilled in Baton Rouge from sugar cane solely grown and processed by the Alma Plantation and Sugar Mill just a few miles northwest of Baton Rouge. The soil in the area is basically the same as in St. James Parish where they grow perique.
  • motie2motie2 Master
    @PappyJoe
    Yes, I tried Pusser's -- two kinds as I remember. I found it to be one of many. Nothing special IMHO.  But to each his own, neh?
  • @motie2 - That's how I feel about Meyers. I just like Presser's more than I like Meyers. I actually prefer rums distilled in the Windward and Leeward Islands for some reason. The rums I refuse to buy are those made in Puerto Rico. I just can't stand Bacardi. 
  • motie2motie2 Master
    I only "drank" Meyers when I was living with my folks and having eggnog. I would not buy it today. BTW, I agree that Pusser's is better.
  • motie2motie2 Master
    BTW, I've found I do NOT like rum distlled from cane. I prefer molasses-based rums, in keeping with my lack of good taste in rums and soy sauce, mentioned above.
  • @motie2 - I'm not a molasses expert but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express....

Seriously though, part of my formative years were spent in the sugarcane belt of Louisiana along the west bank of the Mississippi River. A big treat for us poor kids were to pick up raw sugarcane that had fallen from the big trailers used to haul it from the fields to the sugar refinery. Forget chewing on cinnamon flavored toothpicks, chewing a a sliver of raw sugar can was way better.

Technically, all rum is made from sugarcane since molasses is byproduct of the sugar refining process. The difference between a molasses based rum and sugarcane juice based rums, in my opinion, is that the molasses based rums have more depth of flavor. I think this is because the sugarcane juice basically gets boiled three times. The first time produces the cane syrup which become sugar crystals. The syrup not used after the first boil, is boiled a second time and I think that is used to make brown sugar. The leftovers are then boiled a third time and that is the blackstrap molasses. 
  • motie2motie2 Master
    Thank you. Your post taught me some things I did not know about the differences.
  • @PappyJoe
    We kind of did the same thing here with the raw sugar beets that fell off the trucks.  I have never had raw sugarcane, but I imagine it being better.
  • Well being a Rye drinker I don't venture off that path too often, but when I do, it's generally at a Holiday Inn...while I'ma playing a doctor on TV. When Ole'Pops sips on rum it's gonna be Kraken Black Spiced Rum. My son got me started on that stuff after he proved to me that Sailor Jerry's wasn't fit to pour in a Harley tank, and hell, I had an ole' panhead than would run on piss and vinegar.
  • WintonWinton Master
    Unsweeted ice tea is often in my garage with my pipe. 
  • motie2motie2 Master
    @OlePops
    I went in reverse order: I drank the Kraken, then Sailor Jerry, then Jonah's Curse (for a couple of years, now Jonah's Curse and Brinley's Shipwreck Spiced Rum
  • Ron191Ron191 Master
    Ya'll convinced me (along with the ache in my bones) to try a glass of rum tonight. I've got some Admiral Nelson Spiced Rum on the rocks with a couple of drops of bitters just to spice things up some more. I've got Sir Walter Raleigh on a can keeping it company. 
  • Okay. Forget the spiced rum. Go buy a bottle of Special Club Premium Pecan Praline Whiskey. I normally don’t like flavored whiskey.  I’m not a bog fan of Canadian Blended Whiskey. I was given a bottle of this and it even smells and taste like a pecan praline. I paired it with a bowl of Sam Gawith 2015 Limited Edition.  

http://selectclub91.com/select-club-pecan-praline/
  • motie2motie2 Master
    I like a squeeze of lemon in about two fingers of rum.
  • Maxpwr12Maxpwr12 Apprentice
    A nice a nice bourbon or scotch. 
  • Londy3Londy3 Master
    Hey y'all crazy pipe smokers!
    Samoookin some LL7 in my Molina bent apple with some Shiraz & a touch of bourbon. Brings out the wood/oak that I like.

• edited July 2019
    @Londy3
    Sounds interesting.  I do like a cap-full of bourbon in hot tea, no more, it can overpower the tea.  If it overpowers the tea rather than complimenting it, one might as well drink straight bourbon....which I have been known to do :)
  • Londy3Londy3 Master
    edited July 2019
    @RockyMountainBriar, agreed.  It's all about what you like.  I like full bodied bourbon straight maybe with one ice cube. Same with tea, coffee and wine. 

I did this to try and make an inexpensive red wine improve and it worked. Adding a small amount of bourbon brought about more wood or oak notes from the wine that are naturally present in both drinks durning the aging process in the barrels. Give it a try. 

Then, go ahead and pair it with your favorite tobacco blend for even more flavor.  I did this with LL7. I actually went as far as to light my pipe and blow the smoke into the wine glass, covered the glass and let it sit for a moment.  I was puffing away for a few minutes while letting the smoke mix in with the content and aroma of what is in the glass.  Remove cover and take a sip. Mmmm pure heaven. 
  • Having a glass of Select Club Pecan Praline over chipped ice with a bowl of Peterson Special Reserve 2016. Good pairing.

• motie2motie2 Master
    @Londy3
    Gave you my first Genius comment.
  • edited July 2019
    @Londy3
    I have wanted to try the “smoking the glass” technique.
    -Lighting a favorite tobacco on a tile or other non-flammable surface and turning a drink glass over on it while burning, thus leaving a residue of the smoke on the interior of the glass.  Then fill with your choice of beverage (usually a hard liquor of some sort).
  • Londy3Londy3 Master
    @motie2, thank you sir. I am honored.

@RockyMountainBriar, you should try this on your next happy hour. I like matching wine, blending and experiment with Bourbon and to tobacco.  

I primarily drink bourbon so give this a try as well.

As I mentioned, I like a full bodied bourbon. You can try this with an old fashioned but please use Luxardo cherries when making an old fashioned. Next, cook up some bacon well done and use one strip ad a stir stick in the old fashioned. Pair with your favorite Tobacco and blow smoke into the glass and cover quickly.  Let stand a few minutes and enjoy!  

One last option you can use takes a bit more time but pays be off hugely.  I usually like to have a cocktail while cooking so, if you are grilling you'll want to give this a try for sure. 

I use a propane grill but use a tinder box when grilling, this turns your gas grill into a smoker.  Get your favorite wood chips, I like to use charred oak staves from bourbon barrels. Before you cook your meal, get the grill good and hot till it starts smoking the chips. Turn one of the burners off.  Next, use a grilling basket and place the fruit you will use to make your old fashioned in the basket on the smoking grill on the burner you turned off.  Let it cook for a few minutes but don't burn the fruit. The smoke will roll inside grill and around fruit. 

After several minutes in the smoker, remove fruit and let stand to rest while you make preparations to make the old fashioned. Once cooled, use the now smoked fruit and muddle as you would normally.

The smoked fruit, bacon and tobacco filled glass makes this the best old fashioned in the world. This is a mans drink!

This will definitely make you feel as cool as Frank Sinatra stepping out of a helicopter with a drink in his hand cool.

• @Londy3
    Grill-check
    Smoker box-check
    Hickory, Mesquite, Alder-check
    Bourbon-check
    Bacon-check
    Tobacco-check

Luxardo Cherries - Never heard of them 🙁
  • Londy3Londy3 Master
    @RockyMountainBriar, you gotta get em.  They are not cheap but make a massive difference.
  • Londy3Londy3 Master

Luxardo cherries
  • @Londy3
    Hmm, I’m betting we don’t get those up here in the “northern sticks”.
  • jshaferjshafer Newcomer
    Coffee in the morning, Bulleit Rye in the evening. Blend agnostic.

• @Londy3 I tried your smoking method with 1/2 and 1/2 of Lord Nelson and Vanilla Royale. Absolutely awesome. 
  • Londy3Londy3 Master
    @Michael308, that's great man! I'm glad you enjoyed it. 
    I also do with red wine. I had some today while cooking my Tuscan Chicken...