Home The Lounge
Options

Pipes, Beards, Hats, Bourbon & Packin Heat

Comments

• Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    edited November 2017
    So far this thread is looking like we pipe smokers have even more in common. Kinda cool think.

When I lived in Ohio, the deer would be out in the early morning and evening and not really care if people were around or not.  Deer in Ohio are much bigger then down South but kinda friendly..lol
    I don't think I can shoot one of these animals. They are way to cool to watch and I have been around them my whole life. It would feel like shooting my Beagle.

Meet Vinny y'all!
    "sticks are for wimps. Gimmie a log"

• Options

@Woodsman, See that's just it, southern deer are much smarter than northern deer. While you will see a southern deer occasionally sleeping out on the interstate, when you go up north, you see them laying around everywhere like they are having a big slumber party.

Thing about it is, it is usually always the fat ones that like to sleep on the interstate, but occasionally you will see a really skinny one. I am not into fat shaming, or skinny shaming, but simply making an observation, no matter how politically incorrect it might be. I saw one once sleeping with it's mouth so far open, that I could have compared dental records. I said to myself, that deer's got sleep apnea.

Down here, they will engage in all kinds of risky behavior post September when they have the velvet on, but let it get October, and all you need to do is try to close a pickup door quietly, and they will slip into a briar thicket that hasn't seen daylight in a month of Sundays.

• Options
    @xDutchx - That's because southern deer have been genetically trained to correlate a closing pickup truck door with a redneck with a rifle. Northern deer are used to people seeing them and saying, "OH! Look at that pretty deer!" while southern deer are used to people saying, "Psst. There's dinner!"
  • Options

@PappyJoe, I would agree wholeheartedly, and since you are a redneck Cajun from the upper reaches of the bayou state, I will consider your use of the "R word" a term of endearment! Thing is, a sneaking redneck to a whitetail, is the equivalent of a Great white to a surfer. Neither of them wants to get eaten, but neither wants to stop putting their toe in the water neither.

• Options
    I do not have a beard, just a pencil mustache similar to William Powell in the Thin Man.  I love Bourbon, Scotch, and Rye. I'm from PA, have my CCW, and regularly carry a .38 +P Smith & Wesson Bodyguard loaded with hollow points.

• Options
    @Charles -- Can I ask why, without being a limp-wristed liberal? And hollow points?
  • Options
    @xDutchx - That's southeastern region of the bayou state. Anything above I-10 is yankee country.
  • Options
    @motie2 -- If you are asking why I carry, It is because it is not only my right and for self defense.  I work in the city where crime is frequent.  As to hollow points, they were recommended by friends who are police officers and federal agents as well as close friends.

• Options
    These times we live in are questionable and getting worse. Even a random church in the country can get attacked (TX). Nothing is safe anywhere. I just got my CCW and will be shopping for my carry soon. Again, anything is a weapon, car, pen, hands, box cutter, you name it.  We just need something to protect ourselves and our family if we ever need to. Then we can. I'm not going out looking for a fight or become a vigilante. 
  • Options
    @Londy3 - - I agree.  My preference is to avoid any confrontation but I believe in being prepared just in case I beed to use it to defend myself or someone else who's life may be in danger.  I carry the S&W Bodyguard because it is low profile, conceals nicely under my suit vest, and can deliver enough stopping power if needed.  I prefer a .45-cal but it is not an easy weapon to conceal when wearing a suit.  As an ole jarhead, I do not want to be in a situation where I have to shoot someone but I also do not want to be in a situation where I do not have a weapon when it would have been necessary to save a life.  Whatever your decision, make sure you are comfortable with your choice and practice, practice, practice.  Also, I would highly recommend checking out the membership bennefits of the NRA https://home.nra.org/ and the USCCA https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/ as both offer peice of mind benefits.  I have been a long time member of both and find them extermely helpful.  

• Options
    @Charles, thanks for the comment. Do you have CCW insurance?
    I am a fan of S&W but for some reason, I like the reliability and ease of use with a revolver. I just need to shoot a bunch and decide. 
  • Options
    @Londy3-- Yes, I have CCW insurance thru USCCA.  My S&W Bodyguard 38 +P is revolver.  I holds 5 rounds and I carry two additional speed strips each with 5 rounds.  Speed strips conceal easily and there are pouches available that fasten around your belt or suspenders. 
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    edited November 2017
    @Charles, what's the +P? I'm going to check this out. Could be exactly what I was looking for.

I wanted to edit this to add, my hands are big and I feel better holding a gun that I can grab onto, pinky included. Looking at some videos, the grip looks short.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Former Coast Guard Gunner's Mate
    Our Tea Party has made Maine an "open carry" state, but I think as much as I like tinkering with guns, the Rennie in me would prefer to carry a rapier.
    I'm old enough to have enough pills that I can't drink any more, but I always preferred (when findable at all) an unblended Rye.
    My wife of 40 years has threatened to exterminate me if I ever shave off my beard, as she has never seen me without it.
    Took up my pipes again last year, and somehow they keep multiplying.
  • Options
    @Londy3-- The idea behind the +P is to add enough energy to reliably deliver an expanded bullet deep enough to do its job. Hollow points use part of their energy to expand their diameter, but the energy that’s used to expand the bullet is energy that can’t be used to drive the same bullet forward. If you want the bullet to expand, it’s going to use energy.  Here is Smith & Wesson info:  https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-bodyguard-38-crimson-trace
  • Options
    Motie, even though you weren't asking me why or hollow points, I feel compelled to chime in here.

First of all, my freedom to carry a gun to protect myself, my family and friends and my personal property is a God given Constitutionally recognized RIGHT.  Period.

If you choose not to do so, that is also your right.  But don't confuse your right to not protect yourself as somehow being translated into your being able to control my rights!

As for the hollow point question....  It's simple sir.  I will never point a gun at someone unless I'm ready to pull the trigger.  I will never pull the trigger with any other intent but to completely neutralize the threat...  Meaning that I won't shoot someone with the intent to wound them but to kill them.  Hollow points achieve this more effectively than other rounds do.

I absolutely subscribe to ABC.   Always Be Carrying. 

Far better to be prepared and never need it than to need it and not have it.
  • Options

@Corey562 Crossbow? Compound bow? Recurved bow? Or Long bow? Or combination(s)?

I used to be a park instructor for recurved bows. I like a recurve (and long) bow because, if my life ever depended on it, I can keep those two bows "up and running" while the other two need special parts, etc., that could be hard to find. I know there are a number of advantages to the others, I'm just thinking along the lines of longevity...

• Options
    @AnantaAndroscoggin - Welcome aboard Coastie. I your user name has nothing to do with the Cutter Androscoggin since she was decommissioned in 1973.

I started out trying to be an Engineman but the Coast Guard finally recognized my talents and made me a photojournalist. I retired as a Senior Chief in 1993.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe - Nope, I live on a low ridge along the banks of the Androscoggin River in Greene.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe Hi Pappy, this is being sold as a Black Powder Rifle. I think it violates the spirit of the true one.
  • Options
    @Woodsman - I suspect those kinds of black powder rifles are most appealing to those who wish to have another "hunting season" to fill their family freezer with meat, than anybody pretending at "sportsmanship."
  • Options
    Bet there are a lot of pretenders out there then huh?
  • Options

I don't hunt. I quit hunting after Nam. I couldn't find any wild game out there that can shoot back.

I still range shoot, simulator shooting, etc. to keep my skills up, but I don't hunt. I still fish whenever I can though. My VA disability card gives me free lifetime fishing in the state on Illinois... 

• Options
    @KA9FFJ, sooooooo....you went from hunting to lunting then.....
  • Options
    @Londy3 I couldn't have said it better...
  • Options
    Ok, so the holidays are over and all the family pictures have been made. I can now start growing a beard again. If you recall, my beard life experience is, "on-again-off-again, etc., etc.". Well, it's back on as of 3 days ago. I presently look like a homeless person (you know the stage I'm talking about), but I'm old enough now I just don't care. Anyway, after let's say 4 weeks, I'll probably post a new profile pic until I shave it off again... If I post it any earlier, you guys may run me off the site as an unwanted...
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ, beard on brother! Stick with it this time. I now have a Van Dyke to go with my bold mustache. I plan on growing it longer just because I don't give a sh!t either. LOL.
  • Options
         In case anyone cares, 38 +P ammo was made to add power to modern revolvers, without going all the way to .357 Magnum.  The old .38 revolvers may not be able to handle the extra pressure in a +P cartridge.  New powder development has also helped to reduce chamber pressure while still increasing velocity.  You get a bit more energy without the recoil of a magnum load.  Other calibers are also loaded +P such as .45 ACP, again this +P ammunition may not be safe in older handguns, but can add performance to new, stronger handguns. The advances in metallurgy and smokeless powder development has made this possible.  
         As far as hollow point bullets as self defense rounds, one of the main reasons to use them is to prevent over penatration.  Wooden structures are fairly easy to punch a bullet through, even a weenie .38, especially interior walls.  Nobody wants to injure a family member sleeping in the next room or even a neighbor in the next house if forced into a self defense sinario.  Hollow points and speciality self defense rounds mitigate SOME of this danger.
         Now, just to give you an idea of the power of firearms.....I had an accidental discharge with a .22 cal. 2 1/2” barrel semi-auto handgun.  No, no one got hurt, yes, it was stupid, but it was pointed away from people in what I assumed was a safe direction at he time.  I was inside the house, just about to step out the back door. In this case I had just cleaned said firearm and installed the (fully loaded) magazine into the handgun to put in my vehicle as my “carry” gun.  As a side note, I do not carry a round in the chamber while it is in my vehicle and always lock my vehicle.  Well, for whatever reason, I jacked the slide back and chambered a round.  I had, in that split second, forgot that the magazine was loaded and proceeded to pull the trigger and drop the hammer on an “empty” chamber.  Well, it wasn’t empty, the gun was very clean and lubricated and I didn’t even notice the round go up the pipe.  When it went off, I about soiled myself...stooopid....with three o’s.  Now for the power.  It was loaded with CCI Stingers (hollow points) which are a “hot” load, but still, a pissy-ass .22 from a cheap ass pistol with a very short barrel.  The round went through the two layers of a hollow-core exterior door, through a piece of 1/8” plexiglass in the storm door, across the 15-20 ft. width of our driveway to the neighbors house, through the 3/8” or so hardboard siding (of the neighbors house), and Thank God he was watching over me, it stopped in the insulation and did not penetrate the interior wall of one of their bedrooms.  Also, I thank the neighbors who were and are very good friends and very understanding and forgiving of the accident.   Think about that for awhile......a pissy-ass .22 cal.. I am glad it wasn’t a .38...hollow point or otherwise.  I am also glad there was no one standing on the back porch or in the driveway playing basketball at that moment in time.  Accidents happen, keep that muzzle in a safe direction, assume a firearm is loaded.  The “ground” or “up” may not always be a safe direction either, especially if there are living spaces on lower or upper floors, basements, or even a wall to the next room or house.  This incident made me much more aware, learn from my mistake as I did.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar, wow what a story!  Thanks for sharing.  We all need to remember, we can never be too safe. Always, always check and recheck the gun for a chambered bullet. I learned that lesson at the range shooting with a friend's gun. After shooting 50 rounds, I gave the gun back. He was going to pack that one away. Just before I handed him the gun, I point to the ground and checked the chamber even after I was done firing all the rounds I had. To my surprise, there was one left sitting in the chamber!
    Check, recheck and check again.
  • Options
    I've worn a beard for close to 50 years. I prefer a good single malt to bourbon. I don't own a gun - although I have some experience with firearms - and see no reason to do so.