Home The Lounge
Options

Pipes, Beards, Hats, Bourbon & Packin Heat

Londy3Londy3 Master
edited January 2021 in The Lounge
So, I was thinking about the many similarities between pipes and beards as discussed on a different thread. I wanted to add if there are even more similarities with Interest that include pipes (a given), beards looks like a majority, what about bourbon and guns as well?

I just got my CCW and this is what got me thinking.
Do you have these same Interests as well?

Comments

• Options
    Most of us do I would say....Well maybe some of them don't like Bourbon as much as some of us do....lol
  • Options

I have no problem displaying a full beard, as long as I am allowed a few hair extensions. In fact my Native American ancestry requires it. Problem is, when a hair turns gray, it has a mind of it's own. When it turns blue, there is no predicting what will happen, or which direction the vehicle will go. Things can quickly be reduced to a game of chance, in a matter of seconds.

Nothing stimulates browsing ideal weaponry, like a good single barrel bourbon, or a heavily peated single malt scotch. Things can quickly progress from nunchukas, to throwing stars, to this baby here, in a 7.62x39. Ideally, you want complete penetration at the ideal velocity, and the 7.62x39 has traditionally filled the bill, unless an individual happens to have deranged mental issues.

• Options
    @xDutchx -- You write <<..... the 7.62x39 has traditionally filled the bill, .... unless an individual happens to have deranged mental issues.>>
    What? A 
    7.62x39 won't achieve "....the ideal velocity," in the hands of a shooter with "deranged mental issues"?
    That's great!!! How did the manufacturer build such a safeguard into the weapon?
    Will the manufacturer license this small improvement to be built into other weapons?
    Has the NRA commented? Am I even slightly serious?
    >:) 
  • Options
    Ha! I'm looking to get my first S&W here very soon. I don't really have anything to shoot yet. I just got my CC but need to try out some options to shoot. I am thinking 9mm, 38 or 357. I do have this old antique from my uncle. I don't plan on using it ever. 
  • Options
    @Londy3 Beards=off and on again. Firearms=I'm an old Jarhead so what do you think? I have ccw and all that goes with it...
  • Options
    I love my Pipe, I've had the beard for 40 years, and in my younger days, Jack Daniels on the rocks. Now beverages vary from Hard Cider in Summer, Hot Spiced Wine with the coming of Frost, Eggnog for the Holidays, A shot of B&B in coffee with cream. And there's always Beer, Wine.hot and cold Tea, Green Tea, Coffee, and Ice Water, etc..
  • Options
    Rule: always have a pint of water with happy hour.
  • Options
    @motie2:D, I'd love to sit down with you, burn a bowl with libations and talk smack. Lol
  • Options
    I do not have a beard, but I love Bourbon and firearms, and I'm a Californian! Even more rare, I'm a Californian with a CCW  B)
  • Options
    @thewanderingdude, omg that's so funny!  I wanna party with you cowboy!
  • Options
    @Londy3 -- You're the Clevelander, right?
  • Options
    Pipes, yes. Beard since I was 25. Growing it long for Christmas. Think of a tall skinny Santa. Guns? One shotgun. Only used a couple times for target practice. Bourbon? I would rather have coffee or tea. 
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    edited November 2017
    @motie2, yes sir. Former Clevelander. I live in NC now though.
  • Options
    I have had a beard for a while as for burbon I have gave up alchol so I spend most of my time with great coffee or tea as well. Guns I have a few but would rather shoot my bows. 
  • Options
    @Corey562, I too love good locally roasted coffee and grind it myself. I used to be a good shot with the bow and have wanted to get back into it again maybe with my daughter. As for bourbon just the weekends for me. Everything good in moderation you know. 
  • Options

:D@motie2, I was wearing the Hamburgular get up again when I made that post, and you know what that means!

• Options
    @xDutchx -- Should I be admitting that, no I don't.....??   :/

• Options

The reality to it is, that back in my younger days, I was totally into black guns, with an occasional Weatherby with Claro walnut stock in the 7mm Mag Weatherby range, cradled into the rack. Nowdays, I am craving a custom flintlock, crafted by an artisan the likes of Ian Pratt. They don't come cheap, and basic bare bones custom flintlocks, usually start around $2000.00. I suppose that is why I don't already own one.

Locally in North Alabama, we have the Wheeler National Wildlife Refuge, that allows 2 weeks of flintlock hunting in January. So far, my success has been with a recurve on this Federal land, but I would be proud to take a Whitetail off the ground, during the special 2 week flintlock season. The ultimate hunt, would be taking a 5 year old plus Whitetail from the ground with classical bow or gun.

http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/2009/09/ian-pratts-iron-mounted-maidens.html

https://www.blackpowdermag.com/ian-pratt-cla-featured-artist/

http://www.southernohioartisanworkshops.com/ian-pratt.html

• Options
    @xDutchx, that there looks like some amazing craftsmanship. Worth the money when someone puts so much hand labor into their work with no shortcuts.
  • Options
    No beard. Like bourbon. Own two shotguns, for skeet. Guns don't really trip my trigger, pun intended, in and of themselves. Rather spend my money on pipes and tobacco.
  • Options
    @xDutchx New Jersey has a 2 week Black Power season, in the begging the guns were true muzzle loaders but now there are breech loading that have an open back cartridge that is bolt action with an external percussion cap which to me is cheating.
  • Options
    Oops: beginning.
  • Options
    Well, this is going to sound weird, I'm growing a beard for the first time ever. I have had a mustache since I was like 15 or so. Kinda hope it comes in good. I'm a few weeks in. 
  • Options
    Recently shaved the beard.
    Prefer Single Malt Scotch, but will drink bourbon if there's nothin else in the cupboards (  :wink:   )
    Have been packin heat most of my adult life.

Oh, and Pipes.....

Yup, got a few of those as well.  :smiley:
  • Options
    Beard -- can't wear one in the military but would if i could. 
    Bourbon -- yep, on the rocks. 
    Guns -- have my CCW, a few handguns, rifles & shotguns. 
    Pipes -- have way more than I need but always want more. 
  • Options

<quote @xDutchx New Jersey has a 2 week Black Power season, in the begging the guns were true muzzle loaders but now there are breech loading that have an open back cartridge that is bolt action with an external percussion cap which to me is cheating. quote>

@Woodsman, Yep, it is the dumbing down of traditional hunting. If we are going to enjoy going up against the superior senses of a wild animal, I can't understand why it is acceptable to cheat, as it takes away the personal satisfaction of a successful hunt. I remember when crossbows were legalized in Alabama over a decade ago. A group of us traveled to Montgomery to try and prevent it, but there was simply too much money at stake for them to acknowledge our concerns.

While a crossbow is a medieval weapon, a huge part of the challenge, is drawing the bow in the presence of the animal, in order to give them the chance to catch movement.

The flintlock is such a challenging weapon to use, especially so in wet and windy conditions. Having a flash of powder go off right in front of your face while holding on target, is much more challenging than shooting a modern muzzleloader, complete with sabots, black powder pellets, scope, and 209 sealed primers.

• Options
    Our NJ Suburban Deer herds are so tame they will walk into our yard while we're sitting out. (Eek! A Deer! Call the Police before it give Lime Disease.) Try explaining to someone from the Bronx that the Deer Tick is found on any and all warm blooded creatures without them screaming "Eek!, A bird.")
    Some people poach them, I've actually heard three blasts of a twelve gauge from a neighbor behind me that called me to say her brother who is a really bad shot fire twice at a Deer in the yard, reloaded and fired again and got the Deer that was still standing in the same place looking confused. I told her next time he gets the urge call me and I'll put a rope around the animal's neck and bring it closer.
  • Options
    @Woodsman I understand what you are saying about black powder, but think you may be confusing muzzleloaders with black powder. The first breech loaded, black powder rifles using cartridges were introduced somewhere around 1841 - about 20 years before the Civil War. Those were still black powder weapons. Smokeless powder wasn't invented until around 1885 if I remember correctly.
  • Options
    @Woodsman -- Here in northern NJ we get deer in our driveway all the time, as the rear deck looks out into woods.