Home The Lounge
Options

Pipes, Beards, Hats, Bourbon & Packin Heat

Comments

• Options
    My notes say The Gran Reserva by Zaya blended from other Caribbean rums, oak barrel aged 18 years, vanilla, butterscotch, brown sugar and maple aromas.
  • Options
    Zaya is from Trinidad/Tobago a blend of 3 to 5 different rums aged in Whisky/Bourbon Barrels.
  • Options
    Interesting. So how does this compare to the ones you guys like?
  • Options
    @Londy3 that’s a good mixing rum for drinks like Pina Colada’s or daiquiris. It’s also okay over ice. 
  • Options
    I usually wear a hat. The reason is simple. When I was in the Corps, I wore a "high-and-tight". Now that I'm older, I wear a "high-and-thin"...
  • Options
    I don't know if the stuff actually exists, even after my ship spent a week tied up in St. John, Newfoundland waiting for a part for our air-search radar when we were supposed to be on Ocean Station Bravo. There's a "legendary" (?!?!?!?) rum said to be made in St. Johns called Screech! -- because it's supposedly so RAW that after you drink it, that's what you do.

(Two of our crew ran the town OUT OF the makings of Black & Tans in that week)
  • Options
    mseddonmseddon Professor
    @PappyJoe I envy your ability to procure and sample many Cuban rums. You would know better than I then. The two that I have had, both of which I forget their names, were excellent. One I had during a birthday party celebrated out in the middle-of-nowhere Bolivia with fellow archaeologists. They say I drank half the bottle. Not being Captain Jack Sparrow, I tend to doubt that as I suspect it would have killed me.
  • Options
    @mseddon It pays to have friends in high places. Seriously, I’ve known people who were sent to Havana on government business and they were allowed to bring some things back with them. Personally I visited Guantanamo a few times and some other islands south of Miami. Rum may have gotten better but I would be surprised. Jamaican rum was definitely better. 
  • Options
    So, my daily running around town hat tends to be one of dozens of baseball hats that I've collected over the years. However, with cabin fever setting in and my itching to go fishing, I present my outdoors/fishing hat. My love of bourbon started in college. My budget allowed for "Old Grand Dad".  I've grown fond of Knob Creek recently, but my favorite spirit is Southern Comfort. As for guns? Let's just say I'm prepared for a zombie apocalypse.

• Options
    @KA9FFJ In the MP's it was White Sidewalls, gleaming brass, spit shined boots and Sam Brown Belt then go to breakup a "disturbance" and come out of it with boots that looked polished with a brick, US brass missing and uniform soaked in beer, an hour later you get out of your car and the Provost Marshall and the Post CG are standing there LOOKING at you.
  • Options
    @Woodsman Yeah, and you were lucky if you had Provost Marshall or an OIC who wasn't carrying a chip on his shoulder. If you did, and you reported in looking as you described above, he would give you 1/2 hour (if you're lucky) to report back to him for an inspection, no matter what the time was, even if you were supposed to be off duty...
  • Options
    @Kmhartle You must  have been a Boy Scout like me. Remember our motto?... BE PREPARED... Like the hat, love the pipe...
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ - Ahhh! The good old days. I attended the Advanced Still Photo Course at Lowry AFB in Denver in 1977. I was a 2nd Class Petty Officer and the only Coast Guardsman in Denver at the time. And of course, we had to wear our uniform to class. The Coast Guard Tropical Dress uniform at the time was basically the same as the short sleeve shirt the Air Force used and a darker blue pant. We had our name tag on the right, ribbons on the left and our rate insignia on our collars. 

I was standing outside the class building talking to a couple of other students when what I assumed was a newly minted MP walked up and decided he was going to do a uniform inspection. He looked at me and asked if I was trying to be funny by putting unauthorized devices on my collars. He also didn't like that I had a beard and want to see paperwork saying I could have a beard.

I basically told him to blow it out his ass and that he should go back to school and learn about military uniforms from other branches. About that time, another MP - who was senior to him - showed up. This idiot looked at me and saluted. Said, "I'm sorry sir, he's not familiar with your country's uniform." Before I could say anything, one of the instructors (a Master Sargent) who had seen the whole incident walked up. He stopped me from saying anything else and said he would talk to the MPs. 

He took them aside and "politely" educated them about the U.S. Coast Guard and reminded them that they weren't to harass any of the students unless they were doing something wrong.

• Options
    daveinlaxdaveinlax Connoisseur
    At shows I see some  whiskey and my favorite booze rum being poured but I'd say Scotch is by far the most popular drink in the hobby.
  • Options
    Absolutely! Generally speaking, Scotch is the drink of white men in this country.

I don't drink Scotch, ever, but I notice most white men my age do.
  • Options
    I enjoy a good single malt or peaty scotch with both pipes and cigars as well as a good straight Kentucky bourbon.  It depends on the tobacco I'm smoking.  
  • Options
    Hmmm, so scotch wins over bourbon?  I find that hard to believe. It certainly is not the case in my circles here in NC. Here is a Friday afternoon happy hour at my buddies house. We each bring something to share  :o

• Options
    Bourbon is for real men. Us "under-her-thumb" guys, not so much.
  • Options
    @motie2, sooooo....um, what are you doing under there?
  • Options
    "Under her thumb?" Whatever I'm told to do.......
  • Options
    Sitting here smoking Captain Earle’s Mystic Blend and drinking black coffee sweetened with Black Strap Molasses Rum. Scotch doesn’t go good in coffee. 
  • Options
    @PappyJoe I was never a Hard Ass, We weren't allowed to write up Field Grade Officers so I never wrote up anyone. I preferred Security or Marine Patrol where Fatigues were the uniform. When I had to bring someone in I'd let the Desk Sargent write them up. The only reports I wrote was stopping people from going into the Range on the Chesapeake or  unauthorized landing at the airport. In Germany it was mainly Security at a Nuclear/ Chemical Depot with very limited Town Patrol.
  • Options
    @Woodsman Lowry was a big training command back then and the basic courses were mostly kids straight out of boot camp. I think the two I ran into just got their rocks off harassing kids. Funny thing is, as an Coast Guard petty officer, I had more law enforcement authority than they did.
  • Options
    Pappyjoe, The Coast Guard being the force traditionally enforcing laws and regulations more than any other branch. "To Protect and Serve" could be written on every vessel including that old white DUKW they used to use on Greenwood Lake. Air Force AP's didn't have to go through any training where the MP school in Fort Gordon, GA (At the time.) took 6 months or so. Granted an inordinate amount of time was spent running on the blacktop in the that lovely Georgia heat.
  • Options
    10 USC is where it states that all USCG petty officers, warrant officers, and officers are Federal Law Enforcement officers, and are empowered to board any vessel in American waters, and any US vessel anyplace in the world.
  • Options
    Actually, it's 

14 U.S.C. § 89 - U.S. Code - Unannotated Title 14. Coast Guard § 89. Law enforcement

Title 10 U.S.C. outlines the role of the U.S. Coast Guard as a branch of the military. 
    For those who are interested, the Coast Guard is not classified as a DOD branch because of the Posse Comitatus Act of 1879 which prohibits the federal government from using the Army from enforcing domestic policy. Originally, the Act only mentioned the Army but was later amended to include the Air Force. The Navy and Marines basically wrote regulations which prohibited them from being used. 

The Coast Guard was originally (going back to 1790) has always had a law enforcement mission. It was originally created to combat smuggling and piracy. Coast Guard law enforcement authority is also covered by Title 18 USC.

• Options
    I do think there is a link with all of the things posted by the OP, im into all of those things, and so are many of my friends (who occasionally smoke a pipe with me, im working on getting them more into it)
  • Options

@PappyJoe I have to tell you: That uniform story is PRICELESS! I LMAO!