Home Ask an Expert
Options

Pipe Question

Comments

• Options
    Pipefreak2383Pipefreak2383 Apprentice
    edited January 2018
    @motie2

I Really like the wizard pipe where can I get home or you have seen it for $25 
  • Options
    @Pipefreak2383 - Here is a step-by-step restoration of a Peterson 314 pipe:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igkRCMXIYds
    Maybe this will be helpful.

• Options
    @Pipefreak2383 Numerous sites and YouTube videos on restorations. Great place to start if you are considering going down that path...
  • Options
    Do you have to clean a pipe everytime after you smoke out of it? If not how often? 
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Master
    edited January 2018
    @Pipefreak2383- you should at least run a pipe cleaner through your pipe when you finished smoking it to clear any moisture, loose tobacco, and nicotine to prevent build up of of gunk that could cause blockage.

Also:
    Tobacco pipes typically need to be cleaned at three intervals; first, a basic cleaning after each smoke; second, an alcohol-based cleaning can be done every few smokes for a more thorough cleaning; finally, the pipe should be disassembled and cleaned carefully once a month or so--depending on usage.  cleaned carefully once a month or so--depending on usage.
    Posted on Apr 13, 2014
    Source:  How to smoke a pipe #2: Cleaning - TobaccoPipes.com
    www.tobaccopipes.com/blog/how-to-smoke-a-pipe-2-cleaning/

• Options
    <<Should I coat with honey and then only fill the pipe half way for a few times?>>

Yes, and by a coating of honey, I mean a very light coating.
  • Options
    @motie2

I coated VERY lightly in facted I sent you a pic. 

• Options
    @Charles

I was asking because I want to have a smoke tonight but I don't have anymore pipe cleaners :-( won't be getting them for another day or so...I suppose I can't smoke till then :-(
  • Options
    DavidR002DavidR002 Connoisseur
    Should you clean you pipe after each day. 
  • Options
    Definitely use pipe cleaners after every smoke for your pipe. If your pipe starts to gurgle, I highly suggest running a pipe cleaner through the stem. It can also help if there's a build up of tobacco by the draft hole. Running a pipe cleaner in the stem will usually clear it right up.

Whenever you order tobacco or pipes from a site, throw in some BJ Long pipe cleaners in the order, as well as one or two shank cleaners. For my daily use, I buy Dill's pipe cleaners, which you can find at most grocery stores behind the tobacco counter. Even Ace Hardware has some in their check out aisle.
  • Options
    You should at least run a pipe cleaner through the stem and wipe out the bowl with a tissue after each use. If you can't do it right after you finish the bowl, then dip the pipe cleaner in either alcohol or water and run it through the stem several times. I'm a believer in always dumping the bowl after smoking also. 

I don't follow the cleaning steps @charles and the link he provided does with the exception of the pipe cleaner and wiping out the bowl after each use. I don't see the need to do an alcohol cleaning after 4 or 5 bowls or to necessarily take the pipe apart and do a deep cleaning once a month. Of course, that depends on how many pipes you have in your rotation and how often you smoke each one. If you have only 3 or 4 pipes and you smoke them everyday then you probably do need to do a more thorough cleaning once a month. 
  • Options
    I agree @PappyJoe and I also don't follow those steps but I posted that link just to share the info. I usually run a pipe cleaner through the pipe after I dump the ash. 

Although, sometimes I will run it through while smoking for the same reasons  @thebagerpiper outlined.  I do not wipe out the bowl though, except for for my meerschaums, I was told by old-timers (about forty or so years ago) that's how to build cake. When I do a thorough cleaning, it includes reaming to cut back the cake and wiping out the bowl, cleaning the stem and shank with alcohol dipped pipe cleaners and then polishing the stem and bowl if needed. 

I do this process about once a year or so only on the pipes in continuous rotation and that I continuously smoke which is about four or five.  The others are not smoked enough to need that type of deep cleaning so they get swiped with the pipe cleaner after smoking.  Have been doing this for about forty years and it has worked well for me.
  • Options
    @Charles - I'm not a believer of a "dime" thickness cake in my briars. I think too much cake can affect the taste of what you're smoking so I wipe out the bowl to keep it just a little thicker that a business card.
  • Options

I remember a few years back, Neill Roan described in his blog his cleaning regimen in breaking in a new pipe. It reminded me a lot, of the instructions I got, on how to break in a 7mm Magnum match grade barrel I had purchased. His level of knowledge in the hobby was phenomenal, and his now defunct blog is a loss to the hobby as a whole.

Having said that, there are a lot of acceptable ways to go about keeping your pipe clean. If you are taking the opportunity to run a pipe cleaner thru the pipe while it is still warm, and keeping the amount of cake in the bowl to a minimum, you are way ahead of the game. It is not necessary to get every bit of cake out of your bowl, as the distilled spirits that you use, will neutralize the acids that tend to make your pipe taste sour.

• Options
    @PappyJoe

when I am done smoking my pipe I shouldn't whip the inside of the bowl?  I just been whipping it with the pipe cleaner to get the remaining ash out...should I not do that?
  • Options
    Use a Czech tool. Cheap and a worthy accessory. 

• Options
    @motie2

I use one of them while I am smoking after I am done I use the spoon (lightly) to getting ash and tobacco out of it. then I use a pipe cleaner and clean the shank and bowl hole. and I use the remaining of the pipe clean on the inside of the bowl to remove what ever other ash and debits are left.  
  • Options
    @motie2

I was just checking to make sure I am doing it right. 
  • Options
    After smoking you need to lightly clean your pipe. Make sure your pipe is cool first. Here again you need the tamper tool, using the reamer/spoon to empty the bowl thoroughly. Be careful: never knock your pipe against a hard surface, and never try to remove the stem when the pipe is still warm from smoking. Once you have emptied the bowl run a pipe cleaner first through the stem and then bend the cleaner to clean the bowl. Finish by blowing through the stem to dislodge any residue. Now set the pipe aside to rest until the next smoke. (There are some old codgers who empty a smoked bowl and immediately refill it and light up. )

• Options
    I use a pipe cleaner while smoking, after the smoke I wipe out the bowl with a paper towel then run a pipe cleaner through and once it cools I run some Briar Fresh through the bowl and stem and wipe the stem with a cloth to prevent oxidation. I do a heavy cleaning every six months.
  • Options
    @Pipefreak2383 I wipe the bowl out with a tissue
  • Options
    @PappyJoe
    thank you very much I wasn't sure about wiping it because I didn't want to use something that would wipe away the build up at the same time thank u!!
  • Options
    I assume the only thing u should NOT do is rinse out the pipe in water correct? 
  • Options
    Never rinse a pipe out with water!
  • Options
  • Options
    PappyJoePappyJoe Master
    edited January 2018
    @Pipefreak2383 @pipeman83 - Actually that is not true. I know quite a few pipe smokers and pipe collectors who rinse their pipes in water. Briar is a wood. It doesn't absorb water anymore than it absorbs the alcohol people use to clean a bowl. I'm not talking soaking the bowl in water for any length of time, but it doesn't hurt the pipe to rinse the pipe for 10 or 15 seconds under running water. The key, as it is when using alcohol, is to let the pipe sit and dry before smoking again. Acrylic or Lucite stems are also safe for cleaning with water. Just run your pipe cleaner through the airway to get it dry.

Even clay or meerschaum pipes can be cleaned with a quick 10 or 15 second rinse of running water without damaging the pipe. 
  • Options
    @PappyJoe

thank you very much for clearing this up. there is a LOT of talk as to the moisture on a pipe and got to always try to keep it away. but I suppose since you said about rinsing how would it hurt it anymore then when moisture gets in when you smoke. makes sense to me :-) 

how long does it take to brake in a new pipe? 

after braking in a new pipe is there a different taste? 

• Options
    @PappyJoe, you’re right, I meant I don’t do it all the time, I do do it after I sanitize it after performing the salt and alcohol treatment to rinse the salt out of the pipe.
  • Options
    Corey562Corey562 Master
    edited January 2018
    It varies on break in time on pipes and to me it does seem to change the way a pipe smokes as for a change in taste I guess it depends on what you smoke as I smoke a lot of balkan and english blends that are rich with latakia not so much.