Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Pipe Tobacco Reviews

Comments

• Options
    So just after dinner chow tonight, and after yard work most of the day, I FINALLY got around to trying my 2oz. purchase of Sutliff Rum Maple. This tobacco has been in a Mason jar about 3 or 4 weeks now.

Upon opening the jar I was greeted by an overwhelming Maple Syrup aroma that was very pleasant. I spread some out in my tobacco dish and let it breathe for maybe 30 minutes or so while I was checking our site here to see what was new and exciting. I smoked this in a MM Corn Cob "Mark Twain" which always treats an aromatic tobacco well. I took it out to sit and watch the closing of a beautiful day on the screen porch. Slightly cool and low humidity, and a glorious sunset and resultant twilight.

The torch applied, and off to a pleasant experience. Initially there was a blast of Maple "Syrup" which was wonderful. The entire first third to half the bowl was very aromatic, in fact my wife even commented that it smelled like "pancake syrup' and I certainly can say it tasted the same. The tobacco could become very "bitey" as I experienced some "mouth bite" back in my jaw and I am a slow smoker. Not bad mind you, but anyone who might stoke the fire could cause bite issues for sure. 

I can't say I picked up any Rum flavor as the Maple was so very forward. I detected what could have been the Rum as a very secondary flavor. This is advertised as a Virginia / Burley Tobacco and my guess is the Virginia may reinforce the sweetness of the Maple possibly pushing the Rum to insignificance. But most Rums I have tasted are in fact somewhat sweet on their own. So I am not real sure if I really got any Rum out of this. Moties' favorite Barbados Plantation screams Rum to me when I smoke that, so we know Sutliff knows Rum.

The second half or so of the bowl was almost the same as the first half. The Burley Tobacco flavor mellowed out nicely and added a nice addition to the Maple flavor. The "sweet" taste notes continued STILL with no pronounced perception of Rum to me, I thought for sure the second half of the bowl would at least provide some detectable Rum notes. 

I felt this smoke ran a little quicker than my normal aromatic smoke time which could be due to the Rum (even though I did not pick it up tastewise). I have almost always found that liquor infused tobacco burns slightly quicker which I attribute to the inherent alcohol contact, if that makes sense?

Overall it was a pleasant tobacco experience. It seemed to me to be somewhat single dimensional with the same flavor throughout, which is not necessarily a bad thing. The blend certainly showcased the Maple Syrup flavor. For my wife to make a positive comment on the aroma is certainly a positive point.

While nearing the end of the bowl I was wondering what a mixture of this blend with some Sutliff Vanilla Custard would produce? Possibly a "Maple Custard", I have added this possibility to my list for another time. 
  • Options
    Another review posted. If you like it please comment at the bottom of the blog. 
    http://pappyjoesblog.com/comoys-cask-no-5-tobacco-review/
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii Thanks for the review on CB Grape. I have been hesitant to buy but now I'll try...
  • Options
    Late this morning after finishing up my home chores not completed yesterday, I went into the dark recesses of my "cellar" and pulled out a tin of C&D "Cross Eyed Cricket". I don't know why, but I guess I was just feeling adventuresome. This tin was marked 2.22.17 so it had almost 8 months rest on it. I had smoked it one time previously to which I remarked in my notes (yes I know, OCD) that it was "bitey" and I did not necessarily like it. In fact I gave it a 7 out of 10.

Normally I do not care for Perique or Latakia Tobaccos, at least not those as forward quantities in a blend. Having said that, I admit that I will often stop on the P&C Tobacco list (or others) when I see a name that catches my eye and check it out. I do remember back months ago being interested in the name (along with their USS Mason) and checked it out, and ordered a tin. My first go round back in early Winter was somewhat unremarkable. 

So I revisited the "Cricket" late this morning  for no particular reason than to smoke something other than my usual aromatics. I smoked it in an unidentified briar pipe that I have had for well over 40 years, probably a "basket pipe". This pipe had a very bad bit so I replaced it with a MM Cob bit I had with some teflon plumbers tape and he got back in the lineup. This pipe ALWAYS smoked well.

I filled the pipe directly from the tin. The tobacco was still very moist and subtle, and the tin aroma was very nice. I think I was expecting the Perique and Latakia to reach up and punch me in the face. Instead the Cavendish and the Rum Punch just wowed me. Very nice "presmoke" draw, and aroma in the pipe. I must admit again, I "was" not a great fan of Perique or Latakia, but today may be a milestone in a very long and happy pipe life for me.

The first half of the bowl had a wonderful sweet Rum flavor which was way out front. The bowl was very smoky (Latakia?), and had a nice mellow "woody" taste (Perique?) that was not totally overshadowed by the rum, but was right there letting me know they were playing nicely. The retrohale was very pleasant and allowed me to taste some very pleasant notes NOT in the smoke on a mouth exhale, I assume being due to the use of some additional taste buds.

The second half of the bowl was as good as the first. The flavor profiles did not change for me at all except for a very slight ramping up of a slight "campfire" like taste which I am sure it was the Perique. The Rum Punch component was very tasty and sweet.

The bowl was smoked with an initial, and one additional light. The bottom of the bowl had some moisture after a little bit of "dottle" was tapped out to complete the exercise.

So what did I learn today: Both Latakia and Perique CAN be my friends. My guess is the percentage of both of these tobaccos were small compared to the Burley and the Cavendish, so the base notes of those two tobaccos were not as strong as some other blends I have where they are absolutely the flavor front runners. Some of those blends TO ME taste like burning leaves that I remember from my childhood. Fun memories, but not to my liking as a taste.

I will certainly buy some more tins of this blend. If my original experience with this was accurate, this is finally a tobacco that supports the theory of allowing tobaccos (other than aromatics perhaps?) to rest so as to mature and "marry" flavors and tobaccos.
  • Options
    @pwkarch -- Thank you for an excellent review. I am intrigued by the presence of rum flavor with a lat/Per/Cav blend.
  • Options
    @motie2

Give it a whirl......I thought the rum was really leading the charge. I was very surprised as I said in my review that the Perique and Latakia did not dominate the taste and aroma. But as we all know, tomorrow could be just the opposite. Sometimes the right combination of temperature, humidity, and frame of mind can change an opinion of a certain tobacco.
  • Options
    @pwkarch -- Thanks again. And maybe report back the next time you have a bowl of the Cricket?

Reviews at: http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/250/cornell-diehl-cross-eyed-cricket

Meanwhile: Perhaps monsieur would like a nice pale ale to go with the C&D Crosseyed Cricket?

With the perfect blend of Eureka, Simcoe, and Mosiac hops, Cross Eyed Cricket IPA boasts huge pineapple and passion fruit aromas that will make your head spin. Gentle notes of piney citrus round out the generous hop profile. Cross Eyed Cricket is bright; golden in the glass with a crisp bitterness throughout while perfectly placed at 65 IBU’s and 7.2%.
    That being said, this beer is really tasty and hard to “poo poo” as a summer trend.   Yes, it’s fruity and smells like summer time, but there is something to it that makes it unlike what we’ve brewed before.  Yeah it might be latching on to a trend, but I’ll go out in a limb and say I think we’ve extended the category here. We’ve made a robust, fruity IPA…and I think you’re gonna to like it.
  • Options
    Hey, @ghostsofpompeii -- are you following this discussion of a Rum/Lat/Per/Cav blend @pwkarch found?
  • Options
    @motie2

OMG......how neat is that. And I LOVE pineapple. Obviously a regional small brew......where is this made and distributed?
  • Options
    @pwkarch -- Dunno. Check the URL?
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited October 2017
    @pwkarch -- 

BREWERY LOCATED AT 803 SE SCHOOL ST., ENTERPRISE, OREGON

Telephone 541-426-0158
  • Options
    @motie2

oooooooooooooh........that is just about as far away as I can get from South Jersey and still be in CONUS. Ah, maybe I will just mix a Mick Ultra and some Pineapple Juice.
  • Options
    Sutliff Sunset Rum

Today I finally tried my jar of Sutliff Sunset Rum. Please do not turn me in to the Tobacco Police as I smoked it about 1330 because I could not wait.

The tobacco was just about right in terms of moisture content directly out of the jar, having been jarred several months ago.The aroma out of the jar was quite nice, not real sweet but certainly a Rum aroma for sure. I used a 'smaller" Barricini Briar Pot shaped pipe for this smoke. I carefully filled the pipe in the normal method and then headed out the door for a trip in my truck.

The prelight draw was very tasty with the rum note overshadowing everything else including the base tobacco flavors. The fact is if you didn't know better you might not know it was a tobacco product. The initial light took off and I got a great rum flavor with a mellow sort of nuttiness. It almost tasted light a slice of rum cake, or dare I say a hunk of fruitcake (without those mysterious fruit pieces).

The first half bowl never changed its' tune. The entire bowl in fact from start to finish remained a very enjoyable and forward rum infused smoke with a secondary sweet bread or cake like undertone. This bowl took probably 40 minutes or so to smoke, with the initial and a second light. After the pipe was finished, there was a plug of "dottle" and moisture in the bottom of the bowl. This was probably due to the fact that it is getting colder here, and I notice cool to cold weather seems to create "dottle" and moisture in the bottom of the bowls since I smoke outside or at least in my truck. In the tobaccos' defense, there was no "gurgling" throughout the smoke.

The tobacco is described as a blend of black Cavendish, pressed ribbon cut Virginia and nutty Burley. I suppose the sweeter Virginia helped the Rum while the Cavendish and the Burley maintained the nutty, cake and bread notes. The Rum needs no explanation as it held my attention throughout the smoke. This is a very Rum forward blend which is extremely tasty.

I cannot render an opinion as to "truck note". The slightly reduced smoke time of around 40 minutes I think is a combination of a slightly smaller bowl than I normally smoke, and the fact that I still theorize that liquor infused tobacco will burn quicker because of the residual alcohol content.

I suppose this blend would be perfect for the piper who likes the rum experience, but might not be a fan of the sweeter rum blends that are so popular. I guess it could be described as a slightly less sweet option to blends such as Molto Dolce, or not to offend my buddy Motie Barbados Plantation. Both of those blends are fantastic in their own right.

I would certainly buy more of this blend in the future. This blend just might be a candidate for mixing with my two favorites, Sutliff Vanilla Custard or Sutliff Chocolate Mousse......a Vanilla Rum Custard and a Chocolate Rum Mousse can't be bad things.

• Options
    Hello gents,just tried some Hearth&Home Porch&Swing.Sorry to say I didn't like it, hard to say why just didn't taste like anything.Oh well I tried it once.
  • Options
    @pwkarch -- My friend, you've become a reviewer in a league with @ghostsofpompeii.  You've now gotten me interested in two different rum blends. I may actually order something that isn't Barbados Plantation. Thanks!!!!!
  • Options
    @motie I agree wholehearted about @pwkarch reviews. They're great and so descriptive your can almost taste the blend as you're ready the review. I just ordered a batch of tobacco (again ... I know I promised I wouldn't) so I won't be ordering probably till Christmas creeps closer. Then I might be able to suggest one more order as an additional Christmas gift. But Sutliff Sunset Rum is now on my must get list. I've been happy with nearly all my Sutliff aromatic blends ... and this sounds like another winner. Thanks for the great review. And thanks to @motie2 for mentioning my reviews as well. 
  • Options
    @pwkarch and @ghostsofpompeii -- Hey, guys -- both of you -- credit where credit is due. I love your reviews. Keep up the good work!!!!!
  • Options
    Guess I need to get back to doing reviews??  LOL
  • Options
    I apologize, @Wolf41035  I did not mean to slight you. You were here about half a year before I joined, and I guess I missed many of your contributions. 
    In the recent past, @pwkarch and @ghostsofpompeii have intrigued me with their knowledge and reviews of aromatic blends; the kind I favor this time around.
  • Options
    Okay... this isn't really a review, but I just have to share what I just snagged. I found this at a cigar shop who happens to carry a few pipe tobacco tins. They even gave me a military discount!! I've never tried it & had resigned that I never would.   I'm super pumped!! 

• Options
    @jfreedy, you lucky dog. I just happened to get the last 2 tins from a local shop, and am keeping them for future use.  If you like english/latakia blends, you are in for a treat!!
  • Options
    @mfresa -- Yes, I do like Latakia blends. However, I've never tried Syrian Latakia. I'm still deciding on whether to keep it for personal use or sell it to a huge Frog fan.
  • Options

@jfreedy, keep it, you have to smoke at least one tin of that stuff.  It's a required experience for an accomplished pipe smoker!

• Options
    No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, https://www.pipesandcigars.com/p/sutliff-pumpkin-spice-pipe-tobacco/1484548/
  • Options
    No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, 
  • Options
    Motie2 this for for all of us to put reviews on, I enjoy everyone's reviews, I was meaning I need to do some reviews as well because I have been slacking and might have a few others haven't done. 
    Keep them Coming Motie2 and everyone else who has been doing them.  :)
  • Options
    Could someone do a review on Pumpkin Spice?  Also we should try to review a few other Thanksgiving and Fall Blends.  Maybe near the end of this month we can do some Christmas blend reviews but lets focus on Fall and Thanksgiving for now. 
  • Options
    @Wolf41035

I just did a Sutliff Sunset Rum review above. The name says Autumn to me.......sunsets and autumn, some of the best of the year.
  • Options
    Wolf41035 -- Apologies, but you read that wrong. Something went amiss at 2:53pm and screwed up a bunch of posts, with serial repetition and scrambling being the main effects. Not guilty, sir! Ask @ghostsofpompeii what happened to some of his 31 Days of Halloween posts.

I would never post the same post seven times as I did in two other folders, nor would I post two messages of "nonononono." That said, something must be done about this pumpkin spice thing. Have you gone shopping lately? It's like a disease, getting into everything. Ya know, I can understand Mixture 79 as a codger blend, but between the company that sells tobacco in small jars and their Bacon Blend on the one hand and Pumpkin Spice pipe tobacco on the other, this country is moving waaaay too fast for me. 

On the other hand, "De gustibus non est disputandum, " as some old Roman used to say. You want Pumpkin Spice flavored tobacco? Live and be well!!!!! :)