Home General

Pipe Smoking Pictures

Comments

• @motie2 Do I know what that is?... (notice I haven't tried to make myself look smart by looking it up)
  • @motie2 Well he's an eye opener... A model? A wrestler? A musician in a rock band? I'll have to Google for more info...
  • @motie2, he did great winning the Royal Rumble.
  • @KA9FFJ He's a wrestler in the WWE, and will be one of the headliners for this year's wrestlemania.

@motie2 @pipeman83 Shinsuke is great. I watched this year's rumble, and I thought him winning the Rumble was the highlight of the night. Great Royal Rumble with an exciting finish. I hope he and AJ Styles tear the house down.
  • Thanks @thebadgerpiper Your reply saved me some "lookup" time.
    @motie2 Doesn't it hurt your back to watch the WWE?
  • @KA9FFJ Only when @motie2 takes a bump in the ring, but even then, he's mostly selling to the audience.
  • @ocpunk714- Pretty cool!!  That would definitely be a great post (or photo) to frame and hang in the smoking lounge or study.  My only suggestion would be to change the letter style to an old fashioned style to complement the photo.  Other then that, you could print them up as poster and sell them!
  • @Charles I will change the font. I was just screwing around on my phone to be honest. It would be a cool to make it one of those tin signs people hang up like the ones at the Rocket Fizz candy shop.
  • For those who don't take wrestling seriously..... wait: it's hard to take seriously because it is, at its base, soap opera for men..... anyway: see this article on Nakamura in Forbes.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/blakeoestriecher/2018/01/28/wwe-royal-rumble-2018-results-why-shinsuke-nakamura-was-the-right-choice-to-win/#30d0e93f1c5b
  • @motie2 I tend to make a lot of jokes about my appreciation for rasslin' when chatting with friends, calling it "fake sports" or "I like my sports pre-determined." I got back into wrestling after more than fifteen years away from it. I've never been a sports guy. I don't like boxing, and I'm not interested in the UFC, but I enjoy pro wrestling.

Even during my break from wrestling, though, I would always defend wrestlers as athletes. While it's true that pro-wrestling is fake, I have nothing but respect for the performers. As a wrestler, you have to be good enough at your craft to not only know how to fight, but be good enough to make it look convincing to the audience. Plus, the wrestler not only has to stay in shape, but know how to have a compelling interview and have a compelling personality in the ring at all times. Look at The Rock, John Cena, and Edge, all three stars have used their wrestling training to carve out acting careers for themselves. Dwayne Johnson wouldn't be the star he is today without his time in the WWE, and he'd be the first to say it.

Pro Wrestling might be a cartoony soap opera for guys, but I will always have the utmost respect for the men and women who put their bodies at risk to follow their dreams.
  • PappyJoePappyJoe Master
    edited February 2018
    My history with professional wrestling goes back to the mid-1960s. My mother was a big wrestling fan when we lived in SE Texas. She would drag me with here to one local tv station that broadcast wrestling live every Saturday afternoon. If you were "lucky" enough to be in the first 150 people in line, you got in free. I would also go to the City Auditorium with here for matches or to this one private arena which held the matches on Saturday nights. Don't remember exactly which organization it was but one was Pepe Gomez - we where in the audience when a stunt went wrong and the heel game flying off the ropes and landed wrong on Gomez and ruptured something. Gomez was hauled off in an ambulance and didn't wrestle for several years after that.

Some of the ones I remember from back then were Fritz Von Erich, Johnny Valentine, The Sheik, The Great Kabuki and Wahoo McDaniels. 

Got back into it for awhile back in the late 90s when it was the WCW and WWE on tv. Mostly liked the WCW and would even go to pay events with my two sons. 
  • @PappyJoe Thanks for sharing your history. Most of the little knowledge I have of wrestling goes as far back as the 70's. I do recognize all the names you mention after Pepe, though. Fritz Von Erich and the Von Erich family are still discussed on the places I visit, but that mainly has to do with the family's tragic history. I do believe one or two of Von Erich's grandkids are in the business now.

I didn't start watching wrestling until the mid 90's, so I missed most of the old federations like the AWA. I was mainly a WWF kid, being a fan of Bret Hart, Lex Luger, Razor Ramon, and Shawn Michaels. I didn't get into WCW until Nitro started airing on TBS. I'd occasionally catch WCW here and there before then, and loved Sting. I completely missed the Hulk Hogan glory days, so he never appealed to me. I stuck around until some time during the Attitude era, when high school took up my time.
  • @thebadgerpiper - We were more WCW fans. Hulk Hogan, Lex Luger, Ric Flair, Sting, Goldberg, Rowdy Roddy Piper and The Road Warriors. What killed it for me was when the New World Order (NWO) - Scott Hall (Razor Ramon) Kevin Nash (Diesel) and the other Bozo - came over from the WWF in the prelude of WCW being sold to Vince McMahon. 

By the way, I would argue with my mother about wrestling. She believed it was all real and even as a young teen-ager I knew it was fake. I went with her to an event at the Beaumont City Auditorium and we saw a "chain" match. The two wrestlers were connected to a 8 foot long piece of chain. They beat each other bloody with it. They choked each other with it. They took turns getting the chain between their legs and giving wedgies with it. The match ended with an "ambulance" crew loading one of the wrestlers onto a stretcher and taking him to the "hospital". When the event was over and we left the building, he had miraculously recovered and was standing outside signing autographs, drinking beer and smoking a cigar.

My favorite part of these were the women wrestlers like the Fabulous Moolah and Bette Boucher. We were always hoping something would pop out in those matches. 

It wasn't very politically correct back in the 1960s and early 70s. I also found the Midget wrestling and Midget Women's Wrestling entertaining.
  • This is from an online Manga site (( http://www.mangabb.co/onihime-vs/chapter-3/38 )) and this is the first page this character shows up with her pipe.

It's only chapter 3 so far, so I have no idea yet just how good a tale this is.
  • ocpunk714ocpunk714 Master
    edited March 2018
    These two films are on a movie channel I have on cable. Going to watch them soon.

• @ocpunk714 of all the years I've watched the Sherlock Holmes movies with Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, I've never one seen the color version.  Never knew they existed.  Pretty cool!    
  • @charles If you're an Amazon Prime member these are available as well. The color one is pretty crazy I've watched both B/W and color.
  • BudmanBudman Newcomer
    A little touch of Ireland

• Here's a picture of Nolan Bushnell, one of the fathers of video games. Bushnell founded Atari, as well as Chuck E Cheese Pizzeria. Bushnell is a pipe smoker, and many of his pictures feature a pipe in his hand.
  • @ocpunk714 I spotted that card at my local Walgreens, and contemplated buying it for my pipe area.

• @Charles The Sherlock Holmes movies you're talking about were Colorized. I have a set of four films from the Basil Rathbone Collection which are in the Colorized set. And they look fantastic. The Colorization process used today is light years from those films made in the 80s' and 90s' which first appeared on VHS movies. Back then the process was terribly flawed and the prints looked washed out and everything was done in hazy shades of pastel. And the mouths were always wrong. When a person would talk the lips might be color but the teeth and inside of the mouth was black & white. Today the various Colorized films I have in my collection (the Colorization process is done by a company named LEGEND - and any films Colorized by them is first rate). When creating a color pallet for clothing and room colors they use colors of the period. Clothing like tweed suits look as though originally photographed in color. If you're a Holmes fan and not a purist who insists on movies being unaltered then I highly recommend you catch one of those Colorized Holmes flicks. It's almost like seeing them for the first time.