Home General

Our furry friends....

Comments

• @thebadgerpiper. Sorry. So sad. Poor beast. Vinny feels bad about it too. Pup prayers 🙏

• @thebadgerpiper

This morning I requested to Mommason, Budford, and Zigmond to add your little guy to their prayers......
  • @Londy3 @pwkarch Thank you both. I'll update when I find out any news.
  • @KA9FFJ Yes! My wife and I took our dog to get her scanned today. She has a disease in her brain that has affected her balance. Her head tilts to the left and she walks in circles. For me to take her out for potty, I have to harness her up and hold her steady as she stumbles around to do her business. It's hard enough for her being blind since 2015, but with this, it's just an added layer of difficulty. 

We had her checked out because we wanted to make sure she's not suffering or in pain in all of this. We've tried treating it since it kicked in summer of last year. First time it went away, but it flared up again in February, and she hasn't really recovered from it. From what we understand, it's either a severe ear infection that got into her brain, or it's a tumor. The MRI scan to determine that is way too expensive, but at least with these two options we have it narrowed down. We have some stronger medicine for her that should take care of the situation if it's an infection. If it's the tumor, there's not much we can do.

I will say, even though she doesn't do much at her age anymore (she's 15 for reference), she still has quite the appetite and loves food and pets. If that changes, then we'll have to make that decision. Regardless, we're treating her well as her human caretakers, and make sure she's happy in these twilight months. 
  • KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited April 2020
    @thebadgerpiper It's tough I know. Been there (twice) and done that. So I can not only sympathize  I can empathize.
    As you have said, suffering is what you don't want them to experience.
    I hope it is from an infection and the medication will do its job... They become like our children.
  • You’re a good man, Badger..
  • Thanks everyone. I was always a cat person, as I never owned a dog until my wife and I adopted her when she was 4. Even with her being an old lady, blind, and having issues, she still has that strong personality coming through. I honestly couldn't do this without the help of my wife, and she's a good partner. 

If there are any changes, I will be sure to let everyone know. Otherwise, I appreciate all of you for your prayers and thoughts. I know some people say that phrase is trite, but I'm always heartened when I hear that from someone. 
  • @thebadgerpiper thanks for the update. Thank you also for being a kind soul. 
  • @thebadgerpiper
     By all means, keep us posted that we might share our strength with you, and our comfort, when the hour arrives......
  • Charlie, our 6 month old pup, in his favorite spot while I smoke a bowl. 
  • jfreedyjfreedy Master
    edited April 2020
    @thebadgerpiper - we also have an 11 year old blind pug named Olive who has recently started walking in circles and at times kind of drags her hind legs. Her vet appointment is this week, so we’ll see. She also loves to eat and play with other pets. It’s so hard to see them struggle as they age. 
  •  It’s so hard to see us struggle as we age.
  • Thank you all. And I hope all goes well for your little companion @jfreedy .
  • @jfreedy
    That was awesomely funny and spot on true.
  • Londy3Londy3 Master
    edited May 2020
    And that's why I don't have a cat. 

• I was hoping my new kitten Felix would play “fetch” like my kitty Scrat did with rubber-bands.  Well, my hopes have been answered and Felix has started playing fetch with his favorite beanbag toy.  He actually likes it more than Scrat did.  However, I may have created a monster, or should I say, he suckered me in.  Now he wakes me up at 3:00 AM by dropping said toy near my head and meows until I throw it across the room, again, and again, and again.  He is is kitten, he never tires in the middle of the night, all day he sleeps yes, but not at night.  Sometimes I hear him rolling the 1 1/2” aluminum foil ball I made for him around in my 1950’s cast iron tub in the middle of the night.  He has great fun.  Last night at 4:00 or 5:00 AM, who knows, I was tired, he knocked one of the knobs off of my box fan that I run at night to drown out my tinnitus.  He proceeded to play hide and seek with it on the hardwood floor while banging the door against the piece of railroad rail I use for a doorstop.  He has got to be near like having children (which I don’t have), except I can ignore him and not be chastised for abuse.  I still love him, but he wears me out.
  • pwkarchpwkarch Master
    @PappyJoe

Come on Pappy......adopt that little guy and give him a decent life. Santa Claus would do that. He is probably not feral if he was comfortable with you as the photos suggest. He could be lost or abandoned, and after checking those possibilities out I say make him part of your crew.....you will never regret it.
  • @PappyJoe
    I would check to see if he is “chipped”.  Our animal shelter will do it for free.
  • A flashback...Felix looking out the backdoor like his predecessor did.  Although Scrat never made a fuss, Felix is talking to me.  I’m not sure if he wants me inside, or him outside.  He definitely craves my attention more than Scrat ever did.
  • mfresamfresa Master
    @RockyMountainBriar , he wants to be wherever you are...
  • pwkarchpwkarch Master
    edited May 2020
    Here is one of my Pussy Cats, Budford Aloyisius ("Buddy") who is the most beautiful cat I have ever seen let alone have as a family member. This is a photo from several years ago and he has grown to be a large size lover. We also have Zigmond Xavier ("Ziggy"), and our mother of these two boys, Mamasohn ("Momma"). (Can anyone see that I was Navy some years back?) They are strictly indoor kitties, and add so much to our lives.
  • WintonWinton Master
    This year, we have a large racoon that wanders our neighborhood. My wife and I enjoy seeing him occasionally. Recently, we found him in our window well. This is right next to my wife's sewing corner. She was not impressed that he decided that this would be a good place to go poo. 
  • Last Monday I hade to put our fur baby Callie down. The family was over for a Mothers Day dinner and she was chased by 2 neighbors dogs (they almost got shot). We think the stress of this brought on the first seizure she has had in two months (they have been controlled by meds). After she came out of the first one she seemed to be doing ok. But then she had another and another. They lasted for 4 hours while my family and I held her. My family finally left and she seemed to be resting so we went to bed. About an hour later she started having them again. Except this time they were harder and when she came out she was paralyzed on her right side. Then another came and she locked eyes with me and I could see her suffering. I knew I couldn't wait for the vet to open. I carried her outside and my wife and I said our goodbyes. I sat with her until she started another (so she wouldn't know what I was doing) and I put her down. I'm a firm believer that our pets will be in heaven with us. About 20-30 seconds after I pulled the trigger her tail started a slow steady wag. I think that was her meeting my grandfather who was there waiting to greet her. The past three years since I rescued her have been the grestest. Best dog ever.