Home General
Options

Good and Welfare

Comments

• Options
    I see that I joined TPL in March of 2020. Truth be told, TPL helped get me through the China Virus Lockdown, our street replacement project, wind storm damage, and finally bypass surgery. What a year! Thank you my brothers and sisters for allowing me to be part of TPL. Looking forward to the rest of 2021 and continued participation on TPL.
  • Options
    @opipeman
    You are a jewel among the members here at TPL. Your presents and participation enhances all of us here.
    Among all the turmoil and apprehension this past year, I like yourself, have been provided a safe haven by TPL.
    I do hope this year results in health and prosperity as we all continue to uplift each other through our glorious hobby...
    Keep on puffing brother...
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ;
    Thank you for the kind words. Rest assured I will keep a puffing.
  • Options
    An honest question: Did the pictured America ever exist? I guess you have to be older than 74 to remember when life was like this....

• Options
    Yes maybe in some families or households, but as a rule I think Television was a big part in creating this myth. As always I might be wrong, just my take.
  • Options
    I think it did in Norman Rockwell's imagination........

• Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited March 2021
    "Father Knows Best"...?
  • Options
    Add in "Donna Reid" and "Leave it to Beaver" and you get the never realized though often desired American dream.
  • Options
    You are all correct! Maybe it was more myth than reality, but growing up in that era was a blessing.
  • Options
    @opipeman I too would like to travel back to the early years of my youth and live in the simpler times of the late 50s' to early 60s' - but with one caveat. I'm a big movie fan and enjoy collecting movies on DVD & Blu-Ray and watching them on my big flat screen TV. So my wish would be to transport myself back to that more innocent age - or more realistically, a town like Mayberry, seemingly frozen in time ... that still holds those family values close to the vest - and take my movies and TV with me. I'm sure there are some small towns out there that might fit the bill ... but chances are I'd be more apt to find some prehistoric mammoth frozen in ice in a state of suspended animation than a town like Mayberry.   
  • Options
  • Options
    But let us not wake up from such dreams into the nightmare of living in cities as shown in the Max Headroom tv series or the RoboCop movies.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited March 2021
    Why not go full Blade Runner?

A world where China ate our lunch......
  • Options
    To be honest, I've never seen Blade Runner even once. Somehow the descriptions with the awesome visuals (of that era of moviemaking) have been offputting to me.
  • Options
    @AnantaAndroscoggin, I also have to be honest, I’ve never seen Blade Runner or for that matter Star Wars or basically any of that type of genre. Just have no interest.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited March 2021
    The sequel was one of the worst big budget movies I’ve ever seen.

OTOH, the original was pretty good dystopian scifi
  • Options
    In line for my first COVID injection. The process reminds me of standing in line for shots during boot camp except we have chairs to sit in and more clothes on. 
  • Options
    We were number46 holding on thephone, and — praise God — we held on for almost 90 minutes, got an appointment, got our first Moderna shot, with the second scheduled for April 2. Pretty mild side effects, but the second shot is supposed to be the problematic one.
  • Options
    My Mrs. has received both shots. My Doctor says there is no data on how bypass patients and the shots react, so I'm still waiting on an all clear.
  • Options
    @opipeman, I got my first shot today, they asked about heart issues. I  told the tech I had a quadruple bypass 2 years ago that was supposed to 6 and he didn't flinch while filling the needle!

My wife and I have had our first dose. She got the Moderna and had a sore arm and metallic taste in her mouth, both cleared in a week. I got the Pfizer today with no side effects so far.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe, reading your post about getting a shot and standing in line reminding you of getting shots in boot camp suddenly brought back memories. Remember it well, I don’t remember what all the shots were for or even if we were told. They sure as hell weren’t as gentle as getting shots at your local drug store. What I remember is that both of my arms blistered up, which apparently they were supposed to do. I sleep on my side so that was a problem.
  • Options
    I remember getting inoculations in the first grade, standing in line and they had a little pistol looking thing.  They just placed it against my shoulder and whammy, shot done.  It don’t remember even wincing.  What happened to those inoculation guns?
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar
    When I went through Coast Guard basic training (Alameda, Ca. Jan-Apr. 1972) they used those pneumatic injection guns. I was one of four or five in my recruit company that had the guns backfire when they were giving us the shots. We had to get our injection the old fashioned way - with needles. They never told us why. 
  • Options
    When I went through Alameda (Mar-May 1972) they only used a pneumatic injection gun for one of the many shots we were given. Maybe the broke/wore-out all the others they had on hand? I can still remember the sound of one guy in our company who passed out when his head clunked against the pavement between the buildings where we were standing in yet another line.
  • Options
    I get my first shot on 3/29, my significant other received her 2nd. vaccine on 3/13 and had gotten really tired, chills, and fever plus body aches for 3 days and some swelling at the injection site.
  • Options
    My wife and I got our first shot this week as well. Only side effect was a bit of a muscle ache at the injection site the next day.
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited March 2021
    @thebadgerpiper
      badgerpiper, the bagpiper...
    It has a ring to it...😁