Home General
Options

Any church going folks?

Comments

• Options
    @thebadgerpiper My Faith nor my will to do the work of the Lord hasn’t waivered, but I have to draw a line because of not only God’s law, but the laws of this land. I believe the church to be a hospital for the sick, but you don’t let the sickness in and be ok with things which could put you behind bars. That’s a house I am greatly thankful to be away from. God is working in my life still. I just don’t have a place to call a “home church.” I’ll get there though.
  • Options
    GreenbriarGreenbriar Newcomer
    @Winton While the pipe may lead some to doubt your Baptist-ness, coffee and donuts are the true sign
  • Options
    @ocpunk714 I understand what you're saying. The church has to take care of the body, and stand against injustice. It's a tough situation, and while I don't know everything that's going on with you and your church, I trust that you made the right decision. Pastors can be wrong, and I've seen that happen to dear friends of mine. I hope you can find a new home church, and that the hurt you experienced will heal over time.
  • Options
    mustangiimustangii Professor
    Was Baptized in 1967, backslid in the 70's, put away childish things in 79 after Marriage and birth of oldest son. Rededicated my life to Christ in the 80s. worked in the nursery during Sunday school, Helped the wife teach preschoolers for 5 years while the youngest was in that class, Then worked with the Youth group when both the Boys were that age. Now they are raising their own boys. I guess I am hard to explain. closest I can describe it is, I am an non dispensational Christian that worships in the Baptist Tradition. Been involved in Boy Scouts for over 20 years, I don't agreed with all their decisions, but will stay involved until they take God and reverence out of the Oath and Law. Youngest son is an Eagle scout. I am on the Board of Trustees at My Local Church. My wife was raised Lutheran and Became a Baptist when we were married in 1977. I can empathize with your mental trials and am also a recovering addict. I don't suffer from the mental problems, but the wife suffers with Depression and youngest son has ADHD Oldest son Drinks to much and uses Adderall He is still a work in progress. Yours in Christ , Ed
  • Options
    KenofAhwlbyKenofAhwlby Enthusiast
    I find the original picture posted, to be very interesting.
  • Options
    @KenofAhwlby Interesting? It’s just some kids and volunteers watching a movie.
  • Options
    mezzoduomomezzoduomo Apprentice
    I'm a Christ-follower, although I know that term might bring up some 'feelings' for some. I think of Jesus as a member of a minority, who had none of the rights of a citizen of Rome, hanging out with hookers and lepers and challenging the establishment at every turn. I think the modern American evangelical Christian movement has some huge problems. There's a deep patriarchy in the evangelical movement, and the fact that there's so much support for Trump also totally puts me off. Jesus on earth made his feelings for foreigners, sinners, and all oppressed and marginalized people very clear, and our modern American evangelical churches have lost that thread.
  • Options
    @mezzoduomo - Are you sure we don't know each other? :smiley:
  • Options
    I have never seen a wood wall like that one,, what is it?   And the tables  etc,, kinda differentt
  • Options
    mezzoduomomezzoduomo Apprentice

666 views. Yikes.....
  • Options
    ocpunk714ocpunk714 Master
    edited June 2018
    @KenofAhwlby The building we were in belongs to a clothing company called Hurley. The owners are a huge Christian family and allowed to use their facility. The kids room is actually adjacent to what used to be a skatepark. 

Plus, those tables were new furniture that hadn’t been place yet.
  • Options
    Thanks Ocpunk.. Back in the day when I did some pro photography (before cell phones), It was common to analyze every inch of a photo before publishing.. Now it seems to have become a bad habit,’ cause people say they takes 100’s of photos with their phones and ‘it’s fun’ and I shouldn’t study the photos like I do...Sorry.

Do you know the volunteers in that picture?
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    @KenofAhwlby The woman in boots and a green shirt is the pèrson who used to run Children’s Ministery. Her name is Stacy and I love her like my own mother. The younger girl in the dressy blouse is not a nice person. That’s all I will say.lol.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    @KenofAhwlby I served in leadership for my church, I was privileged to witness so many wonderful things. The memories will always be in my mind.

It’s where I got baptized 10-26-14
  • Options
    thank you ocpunk,,,, the girl in the dressy blouse....well, I am just afraid that if she stands and leans over, those boys are going to get more education than they need..............lol
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    From grade four through eight I attended a Catholic School, and like many of the boys in my class, had aspirations to become a priest. After elementary school I attended a public high school - still aspiring to enter the priesthood - and took a class in Latin - and failed miserably. The only class I've ever failed. As a result any thoughts of becoming a member of the clergy were dashed. My parent were disappointed in me - but not as much as myself. By my Sophomore year in high school I quickly got over my disappointment as the clouds seemed to part casting a glorious light on the fairer sex. And girls quickly filled that void. I knew I couldn't make a career out of that, but also realized a lifetime of celibacy was not I my cup of tea. And in the end I'm sure my two sons are glad that Latin teacher couldn't get through to me.     
  • Options
    Hey Joe

Sort of the same here. I was in communication with the Franciscan Seminary in Calicoon (sp?) NY. Once I got wind of the scholastic requirements I was out for sure (no latin). Plus, I too did not like the celibacy idea as I became a teenager. Now I never turned my back on the church (still practicing, hoping to get it right one day) but I realized I could not be part of the clergy.
  • Options
    BentbrierBentbrier Professor
    Good discussions here.  I too am a follower of Christ.  Over my life I have sampled many "churches."   I am often shocked how some who profess to be Christian's are quick to judge, condemn, and take a Holier than thou attitude more inline with pharases than Christ.  I work hard to follow the greatest commandment To love your God with all your heart and love your neighbor as yourself (Paraphrased slightly). Christ did not say love your neighbor if they follow all the rules and do no wrong.  He said love all of them as he showed us.  I admit I fall short far too often but I do work at it.  In a tainted world we are all broken and imperfect we are in no position to judge.  Sorry, got preachy.  Recent news from my Doc has me in that kind of mood.   Still, adjusting to the news and taking solace in the knowledge of Gods grace. 
  • Options
    We are all human, and imperfect.
  • Options
    @FatherBriar I have always heard that all churches are prefect till they open the doors. 
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    @FatherBriar, @thebadgerpiper, i thank both of you for your posts. May God continue to bless you. 
  • Options
    DerekJDerekJ Enthusiast
    edited December 2018
    After many tries of the sects of baptist, church of Christ, lutheran, methodist, episcopalian, and non-denominational;  I will say, I have never been so ridiculed, mocked and mistreated as by the sects aforementioned.  I went to a Christian school, baptist was the predominant denomination; the inability of religious teachers who supposedly had gone to seminary to answer religious questions raised more questions and red flags about the veracity of those teaching.  Regardless if anyone from those denominations thought themselves to be educated in their religion, I still never received answers and they still walked around with a holier than thou attitude. I don't hate or dislike anyone simply because of their religious choice, it's their choice to make; I dislike them for how they treat the others who do not believe the same way and dislike them for how they treat those who are simply unaware as to what exactly the particular denomination believes.  Years ago, I would have very much liked to belong to one of those churches, but I have since then made my own choice.  My mind remains open understanding to anyone who is equally open and understanding. 
  • Options
    Five years retired after occupying the pulpit 1973 to 2013
  • Options
    DerekJDerekJ Enthusiast
    @motie2 Thats a long time to be; of which pulpit do you refer?
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited December 2018
    Three different pulpits in two three different states over that period.
  • Options
    DerekJDerekJ Enthusiast
    edited December 2018
    @motie2
     Impressive, but which denomination? I apologize for not being more clear when I asked of which do you refer, I did not intend to mean physically in the literal sense.
  • Options
    @mezzoduomo while i agree that the church probably should endorse a political party/leader 100% (after all, Christ is our king), I’m curious if you’ve had problems with any other “church” support of other presidents? Also, let me establish that i didn’t vote for trump, i voted independed for Tom hoefling, i don’t support trump fully, but i don’t completely hate him either.

also, by patriarchy problem, are you speaking specifically to male leaders that continually fall into sin and hide it from their churches? 
  • Options
    mapletopmapletop Master
    edited December 2018
    @DerekJ I had a lesser overall but similar experience in my youth. That experience  coupled with my education (in the sciences) precipitated my embracing atheism in my 20s and 30s.
    I later evolved to take on a quasi Zen-Objectivism that I still maintain today, but as time has marched on and I have witnessed the decline of American culture etc..., I find myself now an advocate for Christianity in general.
    Go figure.

• Options
    @DerekJ Sorry to hear about the ridicule you faced from these denominations. I've been a Christian since I was little, was home schooled in a church for High School, and went to a Christian seminary for College, and I've seen things similar to what you've spoken about. You shouldn't have been mocked for having questions, as it's in our nature to have questions. I'll be the first to admit that I definitely don't have all the answers, as theology wasn't one of my stronger subjects. Whatever you've been through, I understand, I don't look at you any differently for it. I'm no better than any other man, but I try to live like Christ as best as I can.
  • Options
    I'm a Christian and have been raised in the Baptist church all my life. I'm not near as strong as I should be though. Between things that happen and are seen at work I find it hard sometimes to keep that relationship. I find myself feeling angry and bitter sometimes. I don't want to be that way but it's hard most days. That being said He did pulled off a miracle that only He can with my wife's health condition and I couldn't be more thankful.