Home General
Options

Any church going folks?

Comments

• Options
    @ocpunk714 Awesome job, sir!  You and several others here are what's right with our world.  I have to admit, I'm not as close to God as many of you are, but I believe in him and believe he is all around us.  I'm particularly sensitive to his presence now as I learned yesterday a fellow former University of Connecticut dormmate of mine has fallen ill and is in a coma from a heart attack.  He's an avid runner, a husband, a father of three young children and a devout Christian in his early 50's. I'm praying for his recovery.
  • Options
    mseddonmseddon Professor
    @motie2 Good question. "Priest" does not need to be capitalized. Nor would mass, unless you are referring to a specific mass, e.g. Midnight Mass, or "we will have a special Healing Mass." I have a friend who is a Sister of the Order of Saint Benedict, and she always capitalizes it, along with other terms for men or women religious like "Oblate." Probably because if you don't capitalize it, it gets confusing.
  • Options
    @msedon -- Much obliged. Thanks for answering.
  • Options
    @ocpunk714 right on man. Has nothing to do with luck, simply his grace which reaches in to our hearts, even when we didn’t want him. That’s love right there. 
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited March 2018
    See, now, I must ask you @TaylorJDutton , what is the convention for capitalizing he, him, his and himself, when referring to the Deity?
  • Options
    I can be found every Sunday morning at Mass at 0800 hours.....but the true challenge is to live a decent life the rest of the time. My wife and I taught CCD every Sunday morning for 10 years.

Good to see so many religious folks involved here. "God bless us all" (I know I need it).
  • Options
    AnthonyAnthony Apprentice
    This is great good to hear, from so many of you. Without God I would never been able to weather the storms of life. Thanks to Jesus I am here and blessed!
  • Options
    Agreed with all of you. I to am nothing without Jesus. I'm a failure, a sinner and i need the grace of God. It's true the hard part is living a decent life outside of church and that's why we need each other. This thread makes our community even closer.  Peace.
  • Options
    It's been nice reading all these comments and personal stories from other members. Though we all have different backgrounds in the church, it's still a shared and valued part of each of us. I'm always up front about my faith, though I prefer living my faith out rather than trying to push it on people. I have no interest in agendas, and it bothers me when I see people use faith as a tool rather than living it out. I'm a sinner saved by grace, and I'm eternally grateful for it.

• Options
    @motie2 i actually didn't mean to leave it un-capitalized, but i suppose most people do capitalize out of reverence and respect, recognizing Christ as king.  I usually do myself, but i made that comment on my phone so i didn't use my shift button. 
  • Options
    @motie2 that being said, if someone doesn't capitalize, i wouldn't assume it was out of a lack of reverence, some people might not even think about it or mean anything negative by not capitalizing 
  • Options
    Thanks, again. 

Duly noted.....
  • Options
    SwmaplesSwmaples Apprentice
    @ocpunk714, keep up the Good Work. We may never know what seeds we plant in life mature to but I'm certain you're headed for a good harvest.
  • Options
    If anyone comes to the Chicago Pipe Show, you are welcome to join my Bible study in the smoking tent on Sunday morning, before the show opens. Theologically, I am close to Baptist, but I assure you that I will be smoking while teaching. There will be coffee and donuts available. 
  • Options
    SLCarricoSLCarrico Apprentice
    Great to know I'm in good company with other God-fearing and loving men. This is a great band of brothers.
    I grew up in Non-Denominational churches. Pastors and missionaries run in my family. I converted to the Catholic church about 11yrs ago. I'm involved in the hospitality ministry and the street evangelization ministry (St Paul Street Evangelization).
    "Stands the Cross
    the still point
    of the changing world"
    -Carthusian motto
  • Options
    Hiker007Hiker007 Enthusiast
    It is awesome to hear so many individuals post about their faith in Christ, the love for the church, and a passion for the Word.   I am the Pastor of First Baptist Church of Mulberry, FL.  It is also the church I grew up in.  About five years ago, they asked me to return and serve as the pastor.  I am having a great time serving the Lord.  I am thankful for His grace.  Even when I fail Him, He is still faithful.  
  • Options
    Hiker007, I grew up in Jacksonville and had family in Tampa area, but I have never heard of Mulberry. I think it is rare for someone to pastor the church they grew up in. I can think of lots of things I did that when I was young, that would discourage people from voting for me. 
  • Options
    @Winton Yes, it is rare.  I often joke that they either have a short memory or a lot of grace.  In addition, Mulberry is a very small town.  My family goes back to at least four generations in the City of Mulberry.  I grew up in the same house, that my dad grew up in.  
  • Options
    I have struggled with this myself.  And still do.  Grew up in the Southern Baptist Church. Went to a Christian school up until the third grade. Went to church every Sunday,  Wednesday  and every VBS. Lost my Mom to cancer when I was nine.  Moved in with my Dad. Still went to church but could care less.  Got into a lot of trouble in my younger years. Hated life, blamed God for all my troubles and losing my Mom. But I look at my life now and see that if I hadn't of went through what I did I wouldn't be the man, husband,  and father I am today. Grace is what it is.  I sure as hell don't deserve it.  Haven't read my Bible in years.  But reading these posts and seeing that what we have all common is the chance and the opportunity for redemption. The chance to begin anew.  Thank ya'll for commenting on this post and bringing me back to knowing where I belong.  
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited March 2018
    My clergyman growing up threw me out of confirmation class (with some justification); and refused to sponsor me for seminary admission.

I went on to a highly successful 40 year career in the pulpit. Goes to show ya just can't tell........
  • Options
    As long as you have breath, you can still change. None of us are worthy of redemption, but we're still given the opportunity to change. God is patient, and He always has His door open for those who search for Him. We're all human and make mistakes, but it's what you do after that's important. If you ever need to talk about it, @BlueCollarBastard , I'm sure there are many here who would listen and help you out.
  • Options
    God's mercy is new every morning.  I am thankful for His grace and never ending love.
  • Options
    Good evening brother...
    So glad to have run in to your post.
    Recently picked up the idea of pipe smoking and hoping to find acceptance.  Sad to think so much judgement in the "christian" world that t ere is.  I am 40 years old, wine drinker with tattoos and have purchased my first pipe.  Thank you for what you've posted!!!  I hope you find joy and happiness in life!!!
  • Options
    DavidR002DavidR002 Connoisseur
    Maybe there will be pipes in heaven, after all he said that he will provide all our needs.
  • Options
    A lot has changed since I first posted this. There has been lots of anger, sadness and plenty of other emotions because I left my home church. It was a decision of my own, but I felt it necessary for the safety of my soul. We are not perfect by any means as humans, but when deceit becomes an acceptable practice then it’s time to take stock. I lost myself by becoming bitter towards people who were talking behind my back while I was taking care of my dying mother whose still alive and kicking. Even my pastor was speaking about me with other leaders in the church. That dude has an amazing testimony and I love him to death, but he has hurt a lot of good people. Forget me for a second, I think of all the friends I had who just wanted to be ministered and didn’t feel like they got from us. I should’ve done more when people were slacking. I was very disillusioned, but not shocked. My devotion doesn’t change and my remains the same.

Anyways. Sorry for the rant. I did a morning meditation in Nehemiah and I’m just trying to get my life more together.
  • Options
    pwkarchpwkarch Master
    OC
    I sometimes feel that religion totally gets in the way of our faith. I am, and have been since birth a catholic. I go to mass every week, pray the rosary just about every day, raised my kids catholic, and somehow inherited the job of seeing that four of my grandkids get through their sacraments as they are getting older. Point being, I am a practcing catholic. I think the only long spell I spent without church was while I was deployed overseas for obvious reasons.

Now, having said that I see and recognize the politics that go along with that defined as religion. I see things going on that fly in the face of what I think the church is here for and supposed to do. Constant collections to beautify the religious buildings as opposed to helping and feeding the poor. There are those collections as well, but not as many. We are constantly told we must support all sorts of programs, some of which I see no reason to be involved. I would rather help people who need help. The Roman Catholic Church is reported to have the worlds largest and highest valued art collection in the world located mostly in the Vatican, some of whioch could be used to assist many in the world who are suffering.

Having done work for both the parish and the diocese, I have seen first hand the politics and the "good ole boys" network. I sent both of my kids to Catholic High School, and when they graduated they turned their backs on the church. I still do not know if it was a conflict in their hearts, or they are pure being lazy. 

I continue to go to church because I am comfortable there. To me, it is so much larger than what is in my own world. It is a contemplative exercise for me. BUT, having said that I know I am no more in Gods' thoughts and actions than those who choose to avoid the "church ceremony" in favor of a private relationship with him. ANYONE who speaks to God in silence is blessed. So as long as you are living in the name of God, I do not think you are any farther back in the line waiting to get into Heaven than anyone else.
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    The church is there to support the believer. God is with you either way. 
  • Options
    FatherBriarFatherBriar Enthusiast
    I once heard it said, "If you ever find the perfect church don't join it.  Because once you do it won't be that way anymore!"  #TRUTH.  The church is imperfect because it's made up of people.  We are ALL just a bunch of imperfect people.  The church is a hospital for the hurting and broken.  I don't know anyone who doesn't have "baggage" from this ol' life.  We are all on a journey and just as those of us who follow Christ have found grace and forgiveness, we are obligated to extend that same grace and forgiveness to each other.  That's what this world needs.  More understand, more love, more grace, and more forgiveness.  The church SHOULD be where folks get an abundance of all that.  Sadly, not always the case.  As a pastor I hate that and even own it.  May God help me as I lead my church and the imperfect people in it.
  • Options
    I've grown up in the church, never left or considered leaving, and even went to a seminary Bible college (though not to become a minister). Through the years, I've seen many people come and many leave for various reasons. One promise I made to myself as a teenager was that I'd never leave my faith due to the actions of others who call themselves Christians. People have free will and are fallible, so I shouldn't place the blame on God for the actions of man.

Over the years, I've seen Christians do terrible things to people I love, as well as hurt me. I once worked for an organization I trusted since I was a boy. During that time, I watched as they hurt someone close to my wife and I who was a new believer, and ended up putting my wife and I in debt for a period of time. I've seen the darker side of Christianity, but never once did I blame God. Was it a test of faith? Yes. But through every storm, around the corner He provided for us and showed His faithfulness. I know there will be more storms in the future, and one day I will breathe my last. Yet I know He will be there with me no matter the trials.

I say these things not as a badge of pride, or that I somehow feel like my faith is stronger than those who have walked away. I understand people will hurt you, even ones who think they are doing God's work. It's my job to trust in Him, take a moment to reflect if I'm in the wrong, and move forward. Otherwise, the world will find a way to steal your joy.