• Options

DadsPipes

exploring the art of tobacco pipe restoration

https://dadspipes.com/blog/

• Options
    @RockyMountainBriar A lot of Birdseye there, nice
  • Options
    @mapletop
    Yep, they cross-cut it right on square, you can see the grain alignment on the top of the bowl.  I think I read a description of one on SP.com that mentioned all the 1898-1998 P-Lip X61’s they had seen were all cross-cut.
  • Options
    We talk about bowls and stems and stummels, and buttons.
    Let's talk about pipe rims.

Elements of the Pipe: Rims
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar VERY nice work!
    I think anyone would LOVE to have that Pete in their collection... I know I would! 
    Really great looking job, well done...
    Oh, and tnx for sharing...
  • Options
    @Kmhartle

Freakin' great deal....
  • Options
    VERY NICE @motie2.
    Great find...
  • Options
    It is a largish pipe, and I don’t have particularly small hands.
  • Options
    I decided it was time to start working on that small group of pipes I recently acquired at an estate sale.
    Starting with the meer. It's a noname with some issues:
    The stem is ever so slightly off center.  There is a lot of scarring and small pits that may require some drastic measures. The rim is a mess, and the bowl has some thick caking which will need to be removed. That is where I decided to start...
    Here's the before pics:

• Options
    Preliminary work now done on the rim and bowl:

• Options
    Phase 1 of the cleaning process... just showing you the contrast...
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ
    Out of curiosity, will you give it the beeswax treatment after you clean it up? 
    I have found that the smoked patina comes to the surface once again after applying white beeswax to the exterior.  I made corks plugs to fit the bowl and shank of my Meers and use a paperclip/wire stuck in the corks for a handhold, then I melt some white beeswax in a pan and just dip them in and let them drip off.  After it cools a bit to where I can hold it, I heat the meer with a blow-dryer or hot air gun a little just to soften the excess wax and wipe the meer off with a paper towel.  It will darken the meerschaum and bring out the patina, like magic, once again....at least it has for me.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar
    You bet. That's my last phase of a meer project.
    Since I have to use some light sanding in the restoration process, the waxing becomes a necessity. And you are correct, it definitely helps to bring back SOME of the original patina. 
    About the only difference in our techniques is that you dip, and I brush. No difference in the outcome.
    Here's where I am now...
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar and @KA9FFJ you beat me to the question. I was going to ask what the surface finish used is? 
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited October 2020
    Unfortunately, that last phase of waxing and heating will also make most of the scratches that you THOUGHT were gone, to reappear. But with more and more smoking, some will start blending with the increased patina...
    That's just the nature of the beast...
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ, @RockyMountainBriar;
    Great information. Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ I have always loved the way the meers patina after use. It is personality burned into the pipe.
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited October 2020
    Another waxing result problem. Sometimes after that process, it will leave blochy patches. At first I blamed myself, but over the years I have come to realize that it was probably where the previous owner would hold onto the pipe while smoking, especially if they were smoking hot...
    I believe, and I will be the first to admit I could be wrong, that very small amounts of wax would gravitate to skin, rather than staying with the pipe, so there was less wax being left to enhance the patina, it would leave a slightly lighter hue on those areas of the pipe.
    Not too much to do, except allow the blotchy areas to slowly catch up with every new smoking episode, which it usually does...
    I'll be waxing the meer tonight, so we'll see what happens... 🤞
  • Options
    Ok. Here's before:
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ that turned out fantastic! The contrasts look beautiful.
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ
    Your theory about the previous owner holding the pipe is directly tied to the myth that one should wear white gloves while smoking a meerschaum, IN MY OPINION. 

TIPS FOR TAKING CARE OF YOUR MEERSCHAUM (from meerschaum.com)
    Do not be afraid to handle or hold your meerschaum with clean hands. Remember, you purchased a meerschaum primarily for your smoking pleasure. The "added" pleasure you derive from a meerschaum is watching it color as you smoke it. The conventional wisdom on this topic is that handling a meerschaum while warm removes the beeswax coating on the pipe, which highlights its coloring. While this is true, only the purist - the smoker far more concerned with the look of his pipe than his own smoking pleasure - need worry about it.

• Options
    @PappyJoe Tnx brother. Always open to additional knowledge and information. 
    I too adhere to the "smoke meers for the enjoyment" idea. You have never seen me smoke a meer with nothing but my bare hands. However, as the above article reads, I do try to make sure my hands are clean. 
    But I do appreciate the article supporting the idea of removal of wax through bare hands while handling the pipe warm. 
    As stated earlier, It personally doesn't affect me since I simply enjoy smoking a meer.
    Tnx again for taking the time to research the subject... 🎅