Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Pipe refinishing

Comments

• Options
    I guess, since there may be some that have not seen this type of “stinger” that I should post a picture of the opposite side.  This side up is the position I use them in.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @RockyMountainBriar

I’m more interested in the Carburetor aspect. I have a dear Duncan Hill Aerosphere pipe that features a Carburetor hole in the stummel whose effect isto coolthe smoke while condensing moisture. Whatis the effect of the Carburetor in your Yello Bole?
  • Options
    @motie2
    Well, I don’t know yet, I have not smoked a Yello-Bole with a Carburetor.  The hole is in the bottom of the chamber and about twice the diameter.  I guess it is suppose to reduce the suction, add air to burn from the bottom, and add a bit of cool air with each puff?
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    https://rebornpipes.com/tag/duncan-hill-aerosphere-history/

Aerosphere pipes have a brass pin on the side of the pipe which brings in a scientifically measured amount of air into the stem with each puff.
  • Options
    @motie2
    I have a Duncan Hill Aerosphere, one of the first pipes I bought to refurbish when I got into the pipe smoking hobby.  I did not notice much difference in the smoking qualities from other “normal” pipes. Mainly I bought it because it has a “system” and I wanted yo try it out.  I started an eclectic collection of pipes with different types of “systems” developed in pursuit of the “perfect smoke”.  I have at least twenty pipes with “better mousetrap” devices.  Some of them pretty strange.  I have not brought myself to pass any on yet.  I waffle back and forth with thinning the herd.  What can I say, I definitely fall into the collector role, many I have not even smoked after refurbishing them.  I have tons of other pipes to smoke.  Like my firearms collection, I hate to clean them.  That being said, I do not possess any pipes or firearms that I would not hesitate to use.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @RockyMountainBriar

At present, I have 14 pipes. All but 3 of them are EA Carey Magic Inch pipes. In my first pipe life I had many different pipes, but when I gave up smoking I kept only two Careys and the Aerosphere, which had been marketed by Carey. To me, nothing smokes like a Carey, and I just “won” a beautiful Carey poker on eBay. I’ll post a picture when it arrives.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    @motie2
    I just re-read your Aerosphere post.  The one tiny airhole is in a brass insert on the side of the stem on mine rather than the bowl or stummel.  It is closer to your beloved “Magic Inch” pipes without the papyrus.  That papyrus really soaks up moisture without restricting the airflow like filters do.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @RockyMountainBriar

And that's why I smoke EA Carey pipes. Wore it not for the Magic Inch, I'd be all over @Corey562 's pipes.......

• Options
    @Kmhartle
    Nice work, and thanks for the tip!
  • Options
    ZouaveZouave Master
    Correction. It's a Smoke Master Bard....not a Smoke Master hard. 😂 Damn auto correct
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    @Zouave
    Nice refurb, beautiful 👍🏻
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    @KA9FFJ
    In case you might be interested and had not seen one, I found one on EBay for ~$45 and free shipping.  The only issue would be the lateral force on the quill bearing that a drill press is not really designed for, but it should not thrash it out too quickly, especially if you use softwoods.  I have been buffing (which probably requires more lateral force than as a lathe) with my small Craftsman drill press for 8 years and I do not detect any discernible “wobble” in the quill bearing.  Having the bottom supported by the “tail stock” would help as well.
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    @RockyMountainBriar Tnx. I'm going to check it out...
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited June 2020
    I have a sitter that I totally reworked (stripped, repaired cracks in outer bowl, rusticated, satined, etc.).
    Anyway, I could barely get it to sit because the bottom of the stummel was ever so slightly rounded. I decided to eliminate that aggravation once for all, so I used my mini belt sander and got it as flat as a pancake! I then restained an buffed it. It now sits without a hint of a problem.
    The stem fitting to the shank was a little off, so I decided to remedy that as well. Went out to the garage and found about an inch an a quarter nylon washer. Drilled it to fit the tenon, then cut the diameter down using my mini belt sander. When I got close, I slipped it back on the tenon, taped the shank and bit, and started with 220 grit, eventually working my way up to 1200, then stepping through my micro pads.
    So here it is now...
  • Options
    ZouaveZouave Master
    @KA9FFJ I like the look the washer gives the pipe. It's a nice color contrast to the dark stain. Well done!
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ
    You sir are amazing! I guess I shouldn't be surprised, you being a fellow Missourian.
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited June 2020
    Tnx guys, much appreciated...
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    @opipeman Actually, I'm sorry to say,  I'm from Illinois... just NNE of St. Louis in Granite City,  near Edwardsville and Alton.
    I would rather be in in Missouri but ahh, the grandkids... 🙄
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ
    Sometimes just living close is enough to implant genius!
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    I have now taken that sitter and applied some pipe mud. The draw hole was positioned too high, and since it has gurgled from time to time,  I decided to do it and be done with it.
    Please note how I created a "draw groove" across the bottom of the freshly laid mud to promote better draft coverage.
    If I have to do anything more to this pipe, it will be to throw it away... 😏
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    “A quick look at pipe finishes”

A pipe's finish, while not directly related to its function as a smoking instrument, plays a major role in a pipe's aesthetic appeal. It's one of the most obvious visual aspects of a pipe, and the finish is also one of the main features with which a smoker interacts, second only, perhaps, to the lip button. A finish often makes use of and highlights the briar's natural grain, and it can accentuate texture or attractive color palettes that appeal to collectors as much as the pipe's shape itself, if not more so in some cases. Many pipe smokers have devoted entire collections to specific finishes, and for some, a finish might be the deciding factor for purchasing a pipe.

• Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited August 2020
    One other adheive I like is Locktite gel. Great for repairing stems when combined with vulcanite dust. The gel allows precise application with less running. It easliy allows for build up to repair those bite holes AND I have used it successfully to remake stem buttons... I have also used it to repair lucite stems since it is clear... IMHO...
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited August 2020
    I agree. Loctite Gel is fantastic.

I used it to glue a brick to a wooden board. Impressive.