Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Pipe refinishing

Comments

• Options
    By the way, the only stamping found on this pipe was:
    LONDON on the shank
    64 on the opposite side 
    The letters SM enclosed in an oval on the stem.
     Any identifying help would be appreciated...
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ
    Can you post a closeup of the SM logo on the stem?

• Options
    @PappyJoe Here's  some close ups. Please remember the stem stamping was almost half gone,  so I brought it back as best I could...
  • Options
    Possibly a Silver Match according to pipedia.org: "
    Silver MatchInexpensive brand sold by Roy Tallent Ltd. Symbol: SM"

However, when I check pipephil.eu, the stamping they have for Silver Match is different.
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited April 2020
    You've gotten a lot farther than me @PappyJoe I keep coming up empty handed. 
    The mechanics seem pretty good, and the bowl has a good thickness. But as I said, it came as rather a bonus with the 2 meers that I really wanted, so I can't lose...
  • Options
    Here’s my latest E. A. Carey acquisition. A whopping $14 including shipping. I love the Prince style but wasn’t too fond of the solid black. I’ll give it another buffing or two but overall I’m pretty happy with it. Before and after.....

• Options
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    Got this Dr. Grabow Silver Duke lovat from a friend to restore. 
    Overclocked - fixed
    Rim charred - cleaned
    Shank band pitted -now like new
    Stummel varnished and peeling - varnish removed, sanded and stained
    Stem was oxidized - almost cleaned.
    Here's what I'm talking about so far:
    Before...

• Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    I then brought it to this point:
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    Used a bore bit and cleaned the hole in the stem.
    Then applied vulcanite dust with super glue to and around the damaged area. 
    Now allowing 2 days to cure before filing and reshaping...
    Naturally the pics are in reverse order...😏
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    @KA9FFJ wow...I mean, WOW!  That pipe is like brand new again. That is amazing.
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    Tnx @Londy3.

Next is a Medico Jet Stream.
    Things that need attention:
    Huge bite dents in stem...
    The varnish on the pipe is cracking...
    Charring on the contoured rim of bowl...
    Time to go to work!
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ
    You are a true artist. I had on idea that a stem could even be repaired. I am in awe!
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    @KA9FFJ has the talent for sure. Can't wait to see the next one.
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    Tnx @opipeman much appreciated...
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    Well I wound up cleaning and stripping the stummel.  The varnish was in a bad state of deterioration. (besides, I don't like varnish on pipes anyway).
    Here's how it looked after stripping. Notice all the pit fills...
  • Options
    ZouaveZouave Master
    @KA9FFJ holy smokes man! The two tone finish is just spectacular! You are a true Craftsman. Thanks for showing all the before and after pics, it really shows all the work that you put into each pipe. 👍
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    @Zouave tnx for the compliment (deserved or not)...
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    @KA9FFJ. OMG! That bowl was in horrible shape and now it's better than new!!  Excellent stain job! It makes the shape of that bowl cooler than ever. 
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ You are a true artist! I had on idea that repairing a stem was even possible
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    Well this stem has proven to be a real challenge! Just as a reminder, this was the stem before I started:

• Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    Those teeth marks were big and deep ( not to mention all the chatter).
    When I cleaned the inside of the stem, I noticed the cleaner went through very easily. With the dents being so deep, I usually encounter at least a partially blocked airway. 
    Then it hit me, these were dents, but were at least half way caused by chipping away on the vulcanite. In other words, instead of the vulcanite being compressed and still technically there, at least half of the vulcanite in those dents were gone!
    Why is that important? The heating process used to help relax the vulcanite and bring back at least half or more of its original shape is now totally non effective. I know, I tried it and nothing happened.
    So now I am limited to patching those huge dents, and that can also be a crap shoot. All vulcanite is not created equal. Some have a softer rubber content, some have a harder plastic content. It is a lot like steel metallurgically speaking, different tensil strengths, etc.
    Anyway, almost all the deep chatter is gone, but you can tell the patches used due to the differences in the vulcanite. Although much better than before, I'm not very happy with the outcome.
    Here's the final:

• Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    @KA9FFJ that looks amazing. I see what you mean about the stem but using a bit will solve that problem I imagine. You did great work man! 
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ ~ Another fantastic restoration, and a neat and unique little pipe! 
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    Tnx @Londy3 @Kmhartle
    Sometimes you have to settle for less than you were hoping for. I guess it's not really THAT bad. I mean, the huge dents have been filled, the chatter is all but gone, and the stummel did finalize nicely. I'd give it an 85/90 out of 100... IMHO...
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    Next is a Dr. Grabow Grand Duke.
    First, I had to use a great amount of force to separate the pipe from the stem! After putting it in the freezer for about 25 minutes, I still had to use vise grips to finally get it apart. It had reached the point that I honestly thought the shank was going to break! 
    Once out, and allowing everything to reach room temperature, i wrapped 500 grit sandpaper around a dowel rod and carefully enlarged the mortise. Now it gives a tight fit without sticking...
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    The pipe itself has a very dark stain and varnished. Upon close examination, it looks as if it was done to hide pit fills (what else is new?)
    Check it out and see if you can spot some of the culprits... and chances are there are more we can't see.
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    @KA9FFJ looking forward to seeing the next one come alive!  Man you work fast, one after the other!