Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Pipe storage

Comments

• Options
    Second one: dark walnut stain with black felt inserts...
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    As much trouble as SOME pipes are to insert into the top-board's holes (especially if very long, or very very bent), this design when stacked ought to make it much easier to insert pipes into the bottom level without knocking out any of the top level's contents. Or so it looks to me.
  • Options
    @AnantaAndroscoggin
    what years were you in Portland?
  • Options
    1976 to 1980. GMCM Pappy Kelleher was at the Dist. Armory for some of that period
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    @AnantaAndroscoggin
    I thought there was at least one other Coast Guard on here besides @PappyJoe🙂
  • Options
    Ok. I have something in mind. Updates coming...
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ nice job on the last two can't wait to see the new work in progress!
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ. Hey that's a cool design. You should two tone the finish...no?
  • Options
    I really like that one @KA9FFJ. I can't wait to see the finished product.
  • Options
    Anybody want to drive by here and acquire my old Craftsman 4-1/4 inch jointer? I have neither a motor nor a stand for it, and have realized that I'm not likely to build a lash-up for the thing. Got if from a guy who was trying to clear out his shed enough to set it back up as a workshop. I had to pass on his other item, a 20 inch Craftsman scroll saw, as it was just tooooooooo big for my space. Even though the price was beauteous.
    Thus why I did violence to my piggy bank the other day and ordered a Grizzly 6 inch jointer they had on sale until the 20th.
  • Options
    Stain not quite dry enough to polyurethane yet, but I temporarily slipped the felt inserts in to give you guys a glimpse of the near finished project...
  • Options
    Coming along nicely!
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Is there any kind of consensus here as to what the best distance-between-centers for the average pipes? And for the best diameter for the pipes to rest in? I re-checked this thread, and only found one reference to these two measurements, 1-1/4" dia. for the rests, and 1-1/2" between centers.
    I do have some pipes with 1-1/2" bowls and some 1-3/4" dia.

• Options
    @AnantaAndroscoggin I use a 1 1/4" forstner bit to drill my holes. 1 1/2" centers will work fine for all "common" sized pipes. But I've also found that 1 5/8" centers will give you a roomier and more comfortable fit for almost all pipes. Hope that helps...
    And yes, I posted this at 3:28 AM... One of those nights...
  • Options
    Now, that’s the kind of exchange that makes our forum so worthwhile......

That and the fellowship. :)
  • Options
    Another pipe project I started. Just stained this little box I purchased at a hobby shop last year for about $5. It's cheap, but I thought I could put it to use somehow for my pipe hobby.
    Once dried, I will show you the surprise on the the top of the lid before I poly it. That's all I'll say for now...
  • Options
    Your neighbor does nice work! Can't wait to see the finished product. Because of the artwork I could see two Peterson System pipes a lighter and tamper in a foam cutout for travelling.
  • Options
    Nice.....I made quite a few Cigar Humidors some years back. I also made Jewelry Boxes, Keepsake Boxes, etc. mostly out of Eastern White Cedar. I would line my Humidors with Spanish cedar. They are mostly gifted away. I used to leave the exterior natural with either poly or several coats of MinWax. Always used tiny brass hardware.
  • Options
    A friend and his brother-in-law use to work in construction together.  They purchased a 1” x 10” x 10ft. Maple board and two 1/4” x 4” x 8ft. Spanish Cedar boards to make a couple of custom cigar humidors with.  Well, as is said, live today as you would if it might be your last.  My friends brother-in-law went ice climbing just a few days before Christmas.  He might have had a head cold at the time.  They were up above Red Lodge, Montana 4k-6k elevation? in the mountains somewhere and apparently he passed out lost his footing and tumbled down a long ice flow killing him.  Worse, he left a young wife and three small children just before Christmas.  That was over 15 years ago.  When helping my friends sister (widow) move out of their house into another, I was given the planks by my friend and his sister.  I still have those planks just waiting to make a couple custom humidors.  I may procrastinate a little🤔
  • Options
    Light sanding and second coat of polyurethane completed. Now to let it rest overnight before starting on the inside...
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar

What a horrible story, those poor kids and his wife, especially at Christmas.

IF you cut that Spanish Cedar, wear a respirator. The saw dust it gives off is very fine and can cause respiratory issues if inhaled even in small doses. There was once the thoughts years ago that the sawdust was poison by the Latinos packing cigars and making the real Spanish cedar boxes because they would come down with lung issues.
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited June 2020
    A little different design. Solely based on the materials that were available. 
    Need to finish sanding, staining, inserts, etc., but here's the basic...