Comments

• Options
    Great start, unique design!
  • Options
    Tnx @Balisong much appreciated...
  • Options
    great to see these pictures. Thanks. 
  • Options
    Nice stand that gives me an idea for a design to make a stand that pairs a tobacco jar to dedicated pipes for a blend. Any chance you can post length, width, height and bore sizes?

• Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited March 2020
    @Balisong Sorry about the delay, but had to get some outside work done before the rains came this morning...
    Here's some pics that might help you out. 
    Corner to corner = 13"
    Diameter of bore size =1 1/4"
    Dist. from centers = 1 1/2"
    Hope that helps...

• Options
    Ok. Poly good and dry so I cut and placed the felt inserts. Here's the final:
  • Options
    So these are the 2 racks I've completed so far:
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ, (I'll figure out how to put in a proper reference)
    Thanks for the measurements and accompanying pics, they will help! Just in from cleaning the quail and rabbit trays before the rain moves in tomorrow.

• Options
    Well, what are you gonna do? I mean, you're trapped in your house and retired.
    So I decided to make a couple more pipe racks. I liked the last design so well, I decided to use it again.
    Did my cutting and glued all my pieces. Now starting my forstner bit drilling...
  • Options
    Using a jig I made, I'm able to get uniform placement and spacing...
  • Options
    When thinking about trying the make-your-own route, I've sometimes wondered about drilling the "slots" through the top piece at about a 15° angle rather than vertically.
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited April 2020
    @AnantaAndroscoggin 👍
    That's really a great idea. Thought about doing that very same thing in the past, but I concluded, for me, too much trouble to make a specialized jig to make that happen (no more pipe racks that I make)...
  • Options
    Well I didn't have the light walnut stain, only the dark, so after using it, I did the other one in pine (besides ebony, the only stain I had left).
    Stained them last night, and now waiting for the poly to dry while enjoying a bowl...
  • Options
  • Options
    Poly dry. Popped them back together to see how they are going to look.
    Just like my stain, I'm limited with the felt.  Red and green are my only options. Think I'll go with red for the pine, and green for the dark walnut...
  • Options
    BEAUTIFUL.......You should have been in the Navy "SeaBees" (just kidding) you are an excellent woodworker indeed. Especially someone who may have had to drive the occasional nail with the but end of (my favorite) an M14.
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited April 2020
    @pwkarch It's funny you should say that. I actually had to qualify with both the 14 and 16. Was 1 inch away with one round qualifying for sniper school... Boy, after looking back, that one round probably saved my life... 🙏
    Just remember,  windage and elevation... windage and elevation... 😉
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited April 2020
    Ok, turns out I found BARELY enough black felt so I decided to use it instead. I mean, there was only enough for 7... no more. But I'm glad I found because that was really my first choice. Here it is:
  • Options
    That leaves me with a scrap of brown and a scrap of red. There wasn't enough green.
    So which one do you think I should use?
  • Options
    And how about this for an interesting thought? Stacking them..?..? Just thinkin'...
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ great work.  I do like the felt you added. Cool it holds 14.
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ ~ My vote is for red. A nice contract with the black, IMHO.
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ
    I got to shoot them all as well. Several years ago I bought a new Springfield M1A (M14 without "select fire"). I took it to my range where the shop owner, a friend, who was a Marine Reservist who had been on a Marine Marksman Demonstration Team helped me zero it in. It was always my favorite platform as it can really "reach out and touch someone" and is fun to shoot. I used to shoot mines with an M14 back in my navy days.Then I went and bought a Colt M4 to add to my "collection". Both shoot well, and now both have been zeroed in. I also have a Colt 1911 "Milspec" which is my favorite handgun who lives pretty close to my bed. I am happy with them and their "fiends" who reside in my gun safe. I have not been to my range to shoot in almost 2 years now due to health issues, but I will get back there soon hopefully.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    When I first arrived at MSO Portland, OR (also Group Portland) I found that my armory included a pair of M1D sniper rifles. It seems that some years prior, the city of Portland had been designated as liable to riots, thus the issuance to the Group armory. While I didn't have much in stock in the way of .30-06 ammo, I did take them with me when we did the annual shootin' range bit, just so I could get to experience shooting them. A couple of years later, the District 13 Armory reclaimed the two rifles.
    By the way, the only injury (if you don't count poison oak as a literal "injury") in all my years running the range was the one shooting. A guy stapling a new target to the thin wooden slats the range provided to hold them up, managed to shoot himself in the finger of the hand supporting the wobbly slats with the staple gun.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    @KA9FFJ
    My pick would be red if as a single stand, and brown if combined with the other.
    Going along with your stacking idea, how about attaching them to a back board of oak/birch/etc. plywood....or solid wood if you want to spend a bit more.  Maybe cut it out in the shape of a shield or outline of your state or whatever? If you made it square to the bottom shelf, it would stand on it’s own or if some other design that drops below the shelf, it could hang on a wall?
  • Options
    The M14 due to its' weight and the 7.62mm ammo (.308) is a beast to carry, but is not to awful on the old shoulder while killing paper. I have a bolt action and scoped Savage in 30.06 which will knock your shoulder out of joint due to the weapons lighter weight when repeated target shooting. However, the worst was when my SIL bought a Colt .357 Magnum handgun. I shot a cylinders' worth of ammo and handed it back to him.....load and hurtful. I can shoot my 1911 .45 all day and love every time I pull the trigger. The worst was one day shooting at my range while a fellow shooter was working with his .50 cal. Muzzleloader. Load and smokey. He offered to allow me to shoot it, loaded it up with 3 powder packs and I shot it. Wow, the loudest and smokiest gun shot ever, damn near as load as a 40 MM deck gun I was on in the Navy.
  • Options
    Ok. The original, pine stain with brown felt inserts