Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Pipe storage

Comments

• Options

Here's my pipe rack setup in my basement. Most of the decor comes from my grandparents, so I kept most of the items I thought would look nice next to my pipes. I also have various pipe smoking prints hung up around the area, but I wanted to focus on my pipes. My pipe tobacco is in the laundry room, which is right next to my pipe area.

My wife and I are renting right now, but in the future, I want to get some nice cabinets to hold my pipes and tobacco. For now, though, I'm happy with my setup.
  • Options
    Wow @KA9FFJ , that's a clever idea on how to make a great pipe rack using something plain and simple. I bet there's tons of old CD/DVD cases like that at goodwill that could be converted into pipe racks. Nice job!
  • Options
    Here's what the individual shelves looked like after modifying them. Didn't really take that long to do and then it was a matter of just placing them back into the frame...
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ thats a nice looking rack I may have to borrow that idea.
  • Options
    @motie2, you don't have more than seven pipes?  Wow, thought you would have a cabinet full.
  • Options
    Carey Apple*
    Carey Apple (thin bit on stem; beveled lip)
    Carey Billiard*
    Carey Volcano (setter)*
    Carey Billiard (first edition prototype; two single vents rather than two vents of three slots each)
    Carey Poker (or Tankard, I can't tell....)
    Duncan Hill Aerosphere Billiard*
    Charatan Canted Dublin (or Zulu, I can't tell)

* left over from my first pipe life..... all others are eBay purchases except the Charatan, which was a gift.

The prototype arrived yesterday, so that makes eight.
    I'd remind you that it's not the wand that puts the rabbit in the hat. It's the skill of the magician....

• Options
    Sorry Guys.....put photo on before text and could not delete it, and then could not add text.

The pipe rack at front is a couple of months old. I made it one day in my workshop from white oak scraps left over from my kitchen alterations that I did some years ago. Cost: $0.00, time: maybe 2 hours total, took longer for the stain and urethane to dry than to make it.

I am now making some tampers using .45 cal brass shells on 7/16" wooden dowels. That makes me happy because I get to enjoy shooting, I get the pleasure of creating something, and I gat to use then while enjoying my pipes.....what is not to love?
  • Options

Nice job. Like the idea of your tampers also.

I'm just about finished with another pipe storage project. I found a solid oak medicine cabinet, once again, at a Thrift store for $3.00. I had to clean and sand it to prep it for a staining. It wasn't in great shape. I also acquired some scrap oak shelving from a woodworking friend of mine and have drilled and stained them as well. The only cost will be the Plexiglas for the door. I suspect that will cost about $2.50 - $3.50. Once finished, I will post a pic of the final project... 

• Options
    @thebadgerpipe Damn nice use of space for a perfectly functional set-up. Like the idea of your wife and you sharing the same area. Laundry Room/Pipe Nook.  But what I really want to know is what pipe or private blend are you keeping in the lock box? 
  • Options
    @pwkarch I've never seen so many softy bit in one picture. No need asking if you're a clincher or a holder. Beautiful workmanship. I kick myself in the ass everyday for taking business courses in high school instead of wood shop. I find myself spending a bunch of money for pipes and pipe racks when I come to the site and see the stuff you guys have build with your own hands which is 10 times better for the crap I'm buying off EBAY. Nice work. 
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ What a brilliant idea. I have a house full of CD cabinets, unfortunately they are presently filled with CDs. But I've been to a lot of garage sales and flea markets with CD cases and never once thought of turning it into a Pipe Rack. And MY GOD!! Those are some beautiful pipes you have on display. Them babies are polished like rare gems. Please feel free to include the pictures on The Daily Briar Photoshoot page as well.  
  • Options

Thanks for the compliments. I do small repairs and restorations as a hobby (just for me). I enjoy keeping my pipes as pristine as the pipes will allow. Thanks for noticing...

• Options
    I can't keep mine out so it is a sterlite box for me. I wish I had a picture of my buddies rack - it is an upside-down garden rake. So cool!
  • Options
    @pwkarch, wow thanks for sharing. This inspires me to build my own. Yours look great. Lots of softy bits I see, but I know they work. I use them for a couple pipes I clench too. 
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for providing so many great ideas to think about.  Love the pictures your all sharing. Keep em coming!
  • Options
    Thanks for the compliments guys......I am a frustrated woodworker disguised as a Architect. I am lucky in that I have a decent basement workshop in which I can build whatever I can imagine. Problem is I do not seem to have the time anymore and I SHOULD be retired but that is difficult in my profession. Years ago I got into carving and making display quality duck decoys some with over a hundred or so hours on them. I was offered some decent bucks for some back when, but I could not part with them and as such we live in harmony here in my office.
  • Options
    @pwkarch

Can you build a sailboat?
  • Options
    @pwkarch, can you please build me an Octave Mandolin?  :)
  • Options
  • Options
    LOL, Nice Rack!  B)
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii Thanks! I've had that lockbox since I was a kid, and it used to hold action figures. It doesn't hold any tobacco at the moment, but it did have a tin of McClelland's Old Dark Fried in it.

And my wife doesn't visit the basement much. I do the laundry for the family, which I don't mind. I'll fold clothes and watch videos.
  • Options
    How do you keep dust out of the bowls of the pipes that you do not use often?
  • Options
    @Hiker007 I don't run into a situation where dust accumulates on my pipes. I'm pretty good and keeping them all in rotation. For the ones that don't see as much use, I'll stick in a carrying bag so they're out of the way.
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ you should out a glass door on it. I really like that cabinet you made. Great idea. I am going to start looking for a small one for me. Maybe a desktop verson. I only have 8 pipes. Can I ask how you made the shelves?
  • Options
  • Options
    @Londy3 The shelves came with the unit. The shelves are slotted on the bottom for the pegs that are adjustable (notice small holes in the sides). All I did was make the upper stem rack from material I had left over from another project and connected it to the shelf using dowel rod and wood glue. Then it's just a simple matter of placing the shelves back into their slotted positions on the pegs. If that's not very clear, let me know. I can provide a pic(s) to help explain...
  • Options
    @Woodsman

What is that shell.....looks too long for a .45, I am going to guess a .357mag or a .44mag ? However, very nice job, that is exactly what I do.