Home General
Options

New to the forum? Introduce yourself!

Comments

• Options
    @Neoshaone
    Well, tell us about those great blends you tried overseas and if you brought any back with you.
  • Options
    A little digging seems to indicate there’s at least a little life in this forum. I was afraid this would be inactive or ending. 

As many others have, I found this forum through CSR. Unfortunately, I didn’t find CSR until they were about 10 episodes from the end of their 10 year run. However in my short time with CSR and perusing the YTPC I can’t say I’ve felt more connected to a bunch of strangers than with the pipe community at large. A very welcoming bunch it seems. 

I started pipe smoking because that’s what college kids do. They drink too much, try or abuse tobacco, and generally do things cause it seems cool or cause why not. With no guidance and after poor tobacco storage practices and tongue burn I buried my pipe away. That was over 10 years ago. I’m now a family man and I found my pipe while shuffling things around in a closet about 3 months ago. A cheap basket briar that never even got a good cake in it.

I thought why not give it another go. Since then I’ve consumed more tobacco media than is probably healthy and have a small cellar of tobaccos, mostly aromatics, and have two additional pipes both Missouri meerschaum’s. a country gentleman and a ozark mountain cherry bent hardwood. Still burning my tongue from time to time but enjoying the hobby and excited to try new tobaccos and it’s a good way to relax. Goes great with coffee to.

Anyways, if you made it this far appreciate the listen and cheers. Excited to be apart of the community.
  • Options
    @Whoispra
    Welcome back!   Smoking a tobacco pipe takes practice, at least for me it does….10 plus years and still practicing, but it’s getting easier🙂
  • Options
    @Whoispra;
    Welcome. After 60 years of enjoying our hobby, I find I still have things to learn. On TPL, you will find experts in a variety of subjects. Good folks, that share your interests in pipes and pipe smoking.
  • Options
    @Whoispra
    Welcome to the club. This Pipe Life is small but alive and kicking. 
    Ask a question and members on here will provide answers. 

• Options
    Welcome @Whoispra good gang here. don't get too offended by us if we start getting rowdy.  The more the merrier.
  • Options
    Hello folks! New to the forum! Name is Logan, I’m 39 and I live in St. Augustine, FL where I work as a Gunsmith. Started smoking cigarettes young while in the Army and quit just before Covid. Moved onto cigars once I found out that whiskey is meant to be drank slowly and not from a shot glass hahaha. Still enjoy cigars but when I’m out and about they take too long to smoke so my buddy’s mother (who owns and operates a great tobacco store) recommended smoking a pipe and told me to come here!
  • Options
    @Lojak320
    Welcome to the forum.
    Don't know about pipe smoking being a shorter smoke than a cigar though if your using a small pipe you could do it in 15 or 20 minutes.
    I usually need close to an hour to enjoy a good pipe.
  • Options
    @Lojak320 welcome to the gang. You found the right place for pipe Info. 
  • Options
    @Zouave @Lojak320
    ...as well as gun info, truck info, dirty jokes, etc! It's nice to have another gun guy in here...you mind find us picking your brain in that area every once in a while! Welcome!
  • Options
    @Lojak320;
    Glad you found us. Quality group of folks here. Jump right in, like a lot of things in life, you get out what you put in. I guess 39 is old enough to smoke a pipe, I just don't remember being 39. Hell, it was 40 years ago. I think I had been enjoying a bowl for about 20 years by then. You'll understand when you get to be an old fart like meself, pipe smoking is a blessing and one of the few pleasures left in life.
  • Options
    @opipeman
    You mean you stopped masturbating?
  • Options
    @Lojak320;
    Sounds like you have it figured out.
  • Options
    I have to say, I generally like to be around people.  Strangers always come up to me and start up conversations (beats me why?).  Maybe others can sense that I enjoy “shooting the $#!+”.  I do however judge people very quickly.  90% of the time I am correct in my judgement of a person, good or bad.  I have seldom been wrong with first impressions.  Real good friends are hard to come by, and I am on my own most of the time.  That is ok, because I don’t need “Good-Time Charlie friends”.  I would much prefer to sit around a big fire-pit smoking pipes, downing our drink of choice and shooting the $#!+ with most everybody here, but this will have to do.  Thanks for the camaraderie friends.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar;
    I could have have written that about meself. The only difference is that I'm always right, when it comes to that first impression. Are you sure we ain't related?
  • Options
    RockyMountainBriar       opipeman

No, I don't think you're related  :D  
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    @vtgrad2003
    Hmm, I do have a big ol’ head.  It could be it’s own “planetoid”.  Looks kinda like a freaking bowling ball ….with “gripper” fur😂😂
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar

Yeah, but on the flip side, you could argue that your head is normal and @opipeman has a squashed head, so, it could go either way. Hard to see under that hat to be sure. 
  • Options
    Thanks for the warm welcome All. I'm for rowdy conversation but mostly glad to have someone to talk to about pipes. I'm trying to find out if the former pipe society in my area plan on getting back together. I can only assume they stopped because of COVID. Any of you familiar with Triangle Area Pipe Smokers? Also @PappyJoe I can only assume you are "THE" Pappy Joe that CSR refer to with frequency?
  • Options
    @Whoispra
    Yes.
    Don't know if they've mentioned me over the last three or four years though. I was a regular viewer/listener from when they started up until about a little after stopped doing the live shows on youtube. 

Jon David Cole is a good man and very knowledgeable about pipes and pipe tobacco. I've enjoyed all the blends that he personally created and most of the ones he didn't create. I made several visits to the Country Squire but I haven't been to Jackson for a few years.
  • Options
    Based on CSR i'd say he's a swell guy. Hope to make a Pipe Pilgrimage there someday myself. Haven't gotten around to ordering from the Squire yet but it's on my to do list. What are your favorite blends from the Squire?
  • Options
    @Whoispra
    Parson's Blend, Old Toby, most of their Lord of the Ring blends.

It would probably be easier to name a couple I personally didn't like: White Roses, Green Dragon, Kingsfoil and Angry Cornishmen are the ones that I just didn't get into for some reason. I didn't care for White Roses because the blend doesn't match the name and because I have smoked White Roses by Dansk Club which does have a subtle rose aroma and which I feel was made using a better quality of tobacco. But, I haven't had too many blends made by Dansk Club that I didn't like. 

I just remembered I finished off my last pouch of Dansk Club White Roses and I didn't have it on my list to reorder from Germany.
  • Options
    @Whoispra

I'm assuming you are talking about the Triangle in North Carolina? I'm over here near the Triad north of Greensboro. You may want to chat with @Londy3 about your area...I think he's somewhere over that way and may know. 

Welcome aboard here!
  • Options
    @vtgrad2003 Yeah I mean triangle North Carolina. Probably should've specified. I did start a conversation with Londy3 about getting some people together and asking about TAPS or any local pipe clubs. How is the scene in your area? Any good brick and mortars that I should keep in mind if i'm working through the area?
  • Options
    vtgrad2003vtgrad2003 Master
    edited April 2023
    @Whoispra

I have no idea about around here. First, Greensboro is a libtarded, communist, bastion of political correctness...so I don't go there much except that my job is located there  :D 
    But second, and probably most importantly, I don't like people...most people suck and only then do they ask for your truck to move something because all they own is a Prius, borrow money, or worse, borrow your fu...king tools and don't give them back (or break them and don't pay)  :D 

I'm like Woody Allen when asked about why he never attended any Hollywood events/parties..."it's not that I'm anti-social, I'm just not social"  :D 
    I heard there's something in downtown Greensboro that's pretty popular, but not sure where it is or what it's called.