Home Tobacco Talk

What are you guys smoking right Now?

Comments

• motie2motie2 Master
    Blue Danube in a large EA Carey billiard. A better burley based aro than my old favorate, Barbados Plantation.
  • KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    On my back screened-in deck this AM doing some Creme Brulee in a hand made HS Studio bent...

• I decided to “smoke up” some W.O.Larsen “1864 Old Fashioned”😉.  I have added some C&D “Dark Fired Kentucky”😬.  I mixed 2 grams of the 1864 with 1 gram of the DFK.  I have it loaded and I am puffing away on my 2022 XMas Pete 03.  Methinks I must have smoked some “Devil’s Holiday” in this here pipe, there is a ghost of Christmas tobacco past lurking in the bowl.  It’s not a bad thing for me though, and….I might have added too much DFK🤔. I have a little pour of Montana Whiskey Co. Bourbon over ice to pair.
  • edited July 4
    Definitely too much DFK.  It overpowered the 1864 handily, I could barely discern any of the aromatic qualities of the 1864.  Oh well, there is always a next time.  By the way, the 1864 is not one of my favorite aromatics.  I thought a little smokiness might work better for me.  It still might, with quite a bit less of the DFK.
  • KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited July 4
    Raining here since about 3 AM.
    Decided to do some Ashton Rainy Day in my modified and restemmed Spano...
    Happy 4th everyone!

• motie2motie2 Master
    Cult Blood Red Moon, unapologetically….
    A delicious aromatic smoke.

• opipemanopipeman Master
    Burned some "Granger" in me Savinelli Cricket. Raining here in central Iowa, but me smoking shed keeps out the wet. "Granger" is a pretty good smoke for and old OTC blend. It could easily become a go to.

• KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    Second pipe today. Some Frankenblend in a Frankenpipe...

• KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    Finished 18 and now enjoying some Frankenblend in a restemmed Paronelli. I've always liked this Danish bent shape.
    Been smoking a lot of Frankenblend lately. Reason:
    Need to get the jar level down to make room for more remnants of other blends.

• motie2motie2 Master
    edited July 6
    @KA9FFJ

i have the same problem. I call my Franenblend “Owl Farm,” in memory of Dr. Hunter Stockton Thompson, dope pipe smoker.
  • The gang had to get in the way while I loaded up some Nougat in the Peterson Shamrock.
  • KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    @Zouave1864
    Good combo brother...
    Not to mention "the gang"😄
  • KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited July 6
    Finished yard work. Now break time with some 3 year old Chacom #2 in an HS Studio bent.
    These pipes have had some bad press (and perhaps rightfully so), but I have had no issues with this pipe.
    I guess I'd rather be lucky than good...😏

• KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    Enjoyed some C&D Vanilla Cavendish in a Sav Paronelli...

• motie2motie2 Master
    edited July 9
    @KA9FFJ

HS Studio produces tobacco pipes that have gained attention among pipe smokers. These pipes are made in China using briar wood, offering a range of shapes from traditional to more unconventional designs. They are generally considered affordable, with prices not being excessively high.

Smokers report positive experiences with HS Studio pipes. Some users find them to be outstanding smokers, with certain models rivaling more expensive artisan pipes in terms of smoking quality[4]. The pipes are described as legitimate, with no major concerns reported about their use. However, HS Studio pipes feature a bowl coating that is not water-soluble.

While opinions may vary, several pipe enthusiasts own multiple HS Studio pipes and find them to be satisfactory smoking instruments. Their presence on platforms like eBay suggests they have gained some popularity among pipe collectors and smokers.
  • KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    Doing some Tinderbox After Dinner in a Darby work pipe...

• edited July 13
    Mail Call today.  A pipe shape that has been on my “bucket list” for several years, a “Shield”.  It was crafted by  Kadesh Swanson.  I have it loaded with the Seattle Pipe Club’s “Hogshead” from the same delivery, a blend of 10 year old Virginia’s, pressed into a plug/crumble cake.  The pipe and tobacco smoked without so much as a dribble right from the tin, although, it did take a few relights.  The pipe has a fairly small diameter chamber, and not overly deep either.  The pipe is smaller than I envisioned, but it was a nice surprise…just my style.  I love it.🙂

• KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    @RockyMountainBriar
    That DEFINITELY needs to go on my list! 
  • edited July 13
    @KA9FFJ
    I going to have to start a second page, or is it a third page?😬
  • PappyJoePappyJoe Master
    Today was "Pipe Pilgrimage" Saturday for the New Orleans Pipe Club. Only 7 of us who had signed up made the trip to The Country Squire where we visited with Jon David Cole and sampled a number of their house blends - some that are even still in development. 
    I bought a Savinelli Petite 402, a rusticated Beige, a tin of the Swift Current Coffee and 2 ounces of a new Country Squire Blend named Toadstool which is similar to Frogmorton on the Bayou. 

• opipemanopipeman Master
    @PappyJoe;
    The art work on the tin is worth the price.
  • @opipeman
    That artwork looks like home🙂

@PappyJoe
    That’s a nice rusticated/brushed Savinelli pipe.
  • I decided to load the Kadesh Swanson Shield again, it was nice and dry from yesterdays smoke.  I decided on some C&D Low Country “Edisto”.  It’s smoking beautifully again👍🏻.  I have a Vietnamese brewed style coffee made with my home roasted Ethiopian (light roast) with about a tablespoon of a friends honey from his backyard hives…and wait for it…. a couple of teaspoons of Coffee Mate Original dry.   What can I say, I like what I like.  If I had some heavy cream or half and half, I would have used it, but I only have whole milk in the fridge at the moment.

• As a little side note, yesterdays “Hogsheads” was a much nicer smoke than this “Edisto”. The “Hogsheads” was much less sharp and a little sweeter.  Maybe the two year old “Edisto” will get better and round off the sharp corners with time?
  • motie2motie2 Master
    @RockyMountainBriar

in re: Vietnamese style coffee - What kind of brewer/brewing method do you use? Do you use a phin? If so, would you entertain a question?
  • motie2motie2 Master
    @RockyMountainBriar

And BTW, when I want coffee lightener, I also prefer Coffee Mate dry.
  • @motie2
    Yes, I use a phin, and I can probably come up with an entertaining answer to your query😬
  • motie2motie2 Master
    @RockyMountainBriar

Thank you. My question concerns the part in the upper left in the picture above.What is its function? The coffee goes between it and the bottom of the phin itself, right? 

But why? I’ve enjoyed making coffee with it in place, and without involving it at all. I’ve been served in restaurants without it. Or maybe the question is: When is it inserted into the process? Is it like a poorly designed caffetiere? Youtube videos about phins still leave questions.

(BTW, I apologize for being off topic. It occurs to me that this could be done privately. Oh, well….)    

• Eh, could go in coffee thread, but is it really that important.

Anyway, first of all, I’m no expert in the use of the phin filter, but I believe it is there to hold the coffee grounds on the bottom so the water has to “filter” through them rather than just float around like a french press. It would slow down the coffee drip a bit.  I did notice in my extractions that some of the really fine grounds end up on top of the “press”? keeping them out of the cup.  I used a medium fine grind and it made a very tasty, smooth, cuppa😋