RULES FOR GRUMPY OLD MEN TO LIVE BY

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    “Life sucks and thenyou die,” eh?
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    @opipeman
    Try getting old without a loving wife or any children, let alone grandchildren.
    🙁🔫
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar
    Friends brother. Friends that will do what they can for you and you for them.
    Good friends ARE family...
    Happy Thanksgiving...
  • Options
    @opipeman
    Only a few friends (3), one is 30 miles away, another about 400, and another 1500.  By those numbers, you would think I am a hated individual🤔.  I definitely choose my friends wisely and carefully.
  • Options
    @opipeman
    I get two magazines from the Coast Guard that list recent retiree's and recently deceased.
    I realized I was getting old when I noticed that the people on the "Retired" list all enlisted in the Coast Guard after I had retired.
    I pretty much just check the list of who died for names I recognize.

That is both sad and depressing. 
  • Options
    Grumpy old men? Two eighty year olds and a seventy five year old.

• Options
    @Montecristo;
    Life is what you choose to make it and is a beautiful thing. Grumpy comes with age, but doesn't need to define how you live life.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar;
    I can't comprehend being without them, now that they are part of and blessed my life.
    @KA9FFJ;
    You are right, good friends ARE family.
    @PappyJoe;
    A lot of firefighters I served with have gone in the last couple of years. Sometimes I wonder if I'll be the last man standing.
    @Montecristo;
    Do you think drugs has kept them young?
  • Options
    @opipeman
    It’s definitely not drugs, well not illicit drugs anyway, those types of drugs seem to be “extra aging”.  It’s money, greenbacks, scratch, dinero, mula, quid, cashola, bucks, and loads of it.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar;
    That's a shame...money, greenbacks, scratch, dinero, mula, quid, cashola, bucks....
    It would be easier for me to get illicit drugs.
  • Options
    MontecristoMontecristo Master
    edited November 2023
    Keith has taken more drugs than any rock star still alive. His nickname is Uncle Dirtnap because he looks like a corpse.

Costs?
    https://cannadelics.com/2023/11/24/5-most-expensive-recreational-drugs-in-the-world/
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited December 2023
    Waiting for your next one @opipeman
    🙂
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ;
    I got no more, Brother. My November 22 post was all she wrote.
  • Options
    @opipeman
    That's too bad, but at least we all can say, "it was a good run AND entertaining"...
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ;
    I'm glad you got some enjoyment from the list. I compiled it over several years and have never shared it with anyone. I guess you have to be a seasoned citizen to really relate to it. I've asked my Bride and offspring to have it read at my funeral. That's assuming that I don't outlive them  all.
  • Options
    An old high school classmate sent me this.
    The Brain of an Older Person is More Productive

The director of the George Washington University College of Medicine reports that the brain of an elderly person is much more flexible than is commonly believed. At this age, the interaction of the right and left hemispheres of the brain becomes harmonious, which expands our possibilities. That is why among people over 60 we can find many individuals who have just started their creative activities.

Of course, the brain is no longer as fast as it was in youth. However, it wins in flexibility. That is why, with age, we are more likely to make the right decisions and are less exposed to negative emotions. 

The peak of human intellectual activity occurs at about 70 years old, when the brain begins to work at full strength.Over time, the brain increases the amount of myelin that facilitates the rapid passage of signals between neurons. Due to this, intellectual abilities are increased by 300% compared to the average.

The peak of active production of myelin occurs at 60-80 years of age. Also interesting is the fact that after 60 years, a person can use both hemispheres at the same time. This allows us to solve much more complex problems.

Now let’s look at the characteristics of the brain at the age of 60-80. They are really promising.

1. The neurons of the brain do not die off, as someone may think. However, connections between them may be lost if a person is not engaged in mental work.

2. Absent-mindedness and forgetfulness appear only due to an overabundance of information. Therefore, it is important not to focus on unnecessary things.

3. Beginning at the age of 60, when making decisions, a person uses not one hemisphere, like young people, but both at the same time.

Conclusion: if a person leads a healthy lifestyle, moves, is physically and mentally active, intellectual abilities DO NOT decrease with age, but only GROW, reaching a peak by 80-90 years.Instead of being afraid of old age one should strive to develop intellectually. Learn new crafts, try to play musical instruments, paint pictures, dance! Take an interest in life, meet and communicate with friends, make plans for the future, travel as best you can. Do not forget to go to shops, cafes, concerts. Do not lock yourself alone – it is destructive for anyone.
  • Options
    Agree with that! Older we get the more smart we become.