Options

The World We Live In

Comments

• Options
    @motie2
    🤣😂🤣 I remember that one. Classic.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Have you guys seen the “Hot Crazy Matrix-A Man’s Guide to Women” youtube video?  If not, it’s a “required” view😂😂😂
  • Options
    PappyJoePappyJoe Master
    edited October 2023
    They call us ”The Elderly”
    We were born in the 40-50-60’s.
    We grew up in the 50-60-70's. (except for those of us who refused to grow up._
    We studied in the 60-70-80's.
    We were dating in the 70-80-90's.
    We got married and discovered the world in the 70-80-90's.
    We venture into the 80-90’s.
    We stabilize in the 2000’s.
    We got wiser in the 2010’s.
    And we are going firmly through and beyond 2020.
    Turns out we've lived through EIGHT different decades...
    TWO different centuries...
    TWO different millennia...
    We have gone from the telephone with an operator for long-distance calls to video calls to anywhere in the world.
    We have gone from slides to YouTube, from vinyl records to online music, from handwritten letters to email and Whats App.
    From live matches on the radio, to black and white TV, colour TV and then to 3D HD TV.
    We went to the Video store and now we watch Netflix.
    We got to know the first computers, punch cards, floppy disks and now we have gigabytes and megabytes on our smartphones.
    We wore shorts throughout our childhood and then long trousers, Oxfords, flares, shell suits & blue jeans.
    We dodged infantile paralysis, meningitis, polio, tuberculosis, swine flu and now COVID-19.
    We rode skates, tricycles, bicycles, mopeds, gas or diesel cars and now we drive hybrids or electric. (No. We abhor hybrids or electric vehicles.)
    Yes, we've been through a lot but what a great life we've had!
    They could describe us as “exennials”; people who were born in that world of the fifties, who had an analog childhood and a digital adulthood.
    We've kind of “Seen-It-All”! (and, Done It All. Some of us without getting caught._
    Our generation has literally lived through and witnessed more than any other in every dimension of life.
    It is our generation that has literally adapted to “CHANGE”.
    A big round of applause to all the members of a very special generation, which will be UNIQUE.
    -Author unknown
    Keep on keeping on!

The italics are my comments.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe I read an article  a while back discussing how people born up to the 1970s are the last generation to be fluent in both analog and digital. Generations born around 1980 and after are only fluent in digital tech. Personally,  I would go back in a heartbeat. I see very little good that has come from access to all this technology. 
  • Options
    @Zouave1864
    I read a lot. Historical fiction, Fantasy, SciFi, detective and mystery. I have read a number of book where a massive EMP or invading aliens have zapped technology.  Imagine being on the ocean with no way to navigate because GPS has been eliminated. 
  • Options
    @PappyJoe I think I read somewhere that the navy was starting to look back into teaching  solestial navigation. I'm sure that it's a very small number of people that they are bothering to teach it to, but it certainly would come in handy for a large carier group should a GPS loss occur. 
  • Options
    @Zouave1864
    I heard that about the Navy. 
    I think the Coast Guard still teaches it at the Academy when the cadets do their summer cruise on the tall ship Eagle. 
  • Options
    I’ve always though that celestial navigation would be something cool to know.  However, I use to be able to read sheet music and play the clarinet very well.  Now, I can make the noise come out, and that’s exactly what it is.  I could probably still knock “Mary had a little lamb” out of the park from memory🤔……maybe not.  Learning celestial navigation would probably get lost somewhere in my brain if not used frequently.  Also, one of the reasons I have not tried to learn Morse Code, or a non-english language.  Being partially deaf doesn’t help either for music, Morse Code, or foreign languages.  It’s almost impossible for me to understand english spoken with a heavy (foreign) accent or even on the phone.  I have apparently compensated by lip reading and following the context of verbal conversations.  If the verbal conversation goes off on a tangent, I’m screwed.🙉

• Options
    Woke up to ~23F today.  It had been raining and spitting a few little cold white things yesterday and through the night.  Born and raised in Montana, I’m pretty savvy about this sort of thing, so I stepped out my back door carefully, good thing, I still nearly took a header but I was still holding the door handle….now my screen door might be bent from the extra 215lbs. that was hanging off of it😬. This morning the roads are perfect, just a light coat of smooth ice with just enough water on it to make sure it is nice and slick, and some bare spots with enough traction to build a false sense of confidence.  It doesn’t help that my pickup’s front axel won’t engage…I gotta fix that, when it’s been 100 degrees in the shade all summer one tends to forget about those things…..on purpose….who wants to lay on hot concrete under a vehicle to fix something that is probably not needed until months later….too late, now it too cold🥶
  • Options
    Oh, Oh….it’s here🥶
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar;
    I hate to see it start for you Brother. I need about 20 more days before I can get the next steroid shot in me back, then I'll be able to deal with the shit.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar

Hearing loss goes hand in hand with getting older.
    During one of the many hearing tests I had while on active duty, one of the technicians mentioned that I had very good hearing in the upper frequency range. I could hear the subtle differences of the sound fluorescent lights would make when the ballast would start going out for example. 

Now that I have tinnitus, I have lost hearing in some of the higher frequencies. 
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    @PappyJoe
    I lost most of my upper frequency hearing in my right ear when I had an ear infection when I was a toddler.  Then I lost some of the high frequencies in my left ear when I had a Ruger Mini14 .223 Rem. explode from a bad round when I was about 21.  I have had tinnitus since the ear infection as well.  I haven’t noticed my hearing being much worse from age….yet.  I haven’t been able to hear microwave (piezo type) beepers for over 30 years….nor rattle snakes, nor smoke alarms😳. I can feel the pressure of a smoke alarm’s sound wave if…if….I have it directly pointing at my ear within about three feet or less, but I don’t actually “hear” it.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe;
    Congratulations, I don't think I've known 15 Pipe Smokers in my entire life.
  • Options
    A customer drove from Kalispell, MT to Billings, MT on Wednesday to pick up a machine.  It’s about 450 miles, and the roads weren’t good.  He said he drove from Livingston, MT to Billings at about 35 mph, that’s the last 120 miles or so……long drive, and it was getting dark.  He picked up and carried some free ice and road grime with him.  We let his pickup thaw in our heated shop, and I would estimate at least 100 pounds of ice and grime came off, probably more.  We had two piles of ice chunks on either side of our ramp, and a floor covered in dirty water and sand by the time we got most of it off.  He made the return trip on Thursday, and the roads weren’t much better.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe That photo looks like the cast for the next Expendables movie. Damn lucky to find 15 pipe smokers in one city let alone one room. Really great to see some young guys mixed in the crowd.
  • Options
    First hard frost in northern NJ. Getting out the window mounted exhaust fan so I can smoke indoors. 
  • Options
    So I'm hosting a cocktail party and picked these up at the store...