Home The Lounge
Options

The World We Live In

Comments

• Options
    @Londy3
    You say that, but would you really?
    When I was 18-19 and ranching, working for another.  I lived in a late 60’s, early 70’s single wide mobile “bunkhouse” with no sewer and no running water.  We did have electricity though.  No TV and barely any radio reception though.  I did not have a car…..I was 50+ miles from a decent town anyway.  Six days a week, $10 a day and found.
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    edited September 2023
    @RockyMountainBriar
    The direction we are quickly heading, yes.  It's about to get real here in the former United States of America.
  • Options
    @Londy3, @RockyMountainBriar
    I'm not happy with what I see in the country and the world. A decade ago we bought a 3 acre property at auction. Since then I've put in raised beds to grow veggies and turned the garage which had been used as a kennel into a bird and rabbit habitat. As it turns out the property sits on top of a huge aquifer so water is plentiful even in a drought. One of our neighbors was a range officer in the Marines. If the 21st century degrades to the 14th century we'll be ok!
  • Options
    Beautiful day today.  We got a reprieve from the heat, it was 57F this morning when I went to work at 7.  T-Shirt weather….although….it’s suppose to still top 90F this afternoon.  It’s a dry heat though.
  • Options
    RIP Jimmy Buffett

His music will live on...
  • Options
  • Options
    Have disposable income?

• Options
    I have a little extra sometimes, but not disposable….that political thing would just be flushing cash down a toilet.  I’d rather buy $23,200 worth of pipes and tobacco….well, maybe a pizza and some libation too.
  • Options
    @Montecristo

Sorry. All my disposable income goes to pay for my pipe and pipe tobacco addiction therapy. In other words, I spend it on pipes and tobacco.
  • Options
    Heavens to Mergatroyd

The other day a not so elderly (I say 75) lady said something to her
    son about driving a Jalopy; and he looked at her and said, "What the heck is a Jalopy?" He had never heard of the word jalopy! She knew she was old ...But not that old.

Well, I hope you are Hunky Dory when you read this and chuckle. About a month ago, I illuminated some old expressions that have become o bsolete because of the inexorable march of technology. These phrases included: Don't touch that dial; Carbon copy; You sound
    like a broken record; and Hung out to dry.

Back in the olden days we had a lot of moxie . We'd put on our best bib and tucker, to straighten up and fly right.

Heavens to Betsy!
    Gee whillikers!
    Jumping Jehoshaphat!
    Holy Moley!
    We were in like Flynn and living the life of Riley ; and even a regular guy couldn't accuse us of being a knucklehead, a nincompoop or a pill. Not for all the tea in China!

Back in the olden days, life used to be swell, but when's the last time anything was swell? Swell has gone the way of beehives, pageboys and the D.A.; of spats, knickers, fedoras, poodle skirts, saddle
    Shoes, and pedal pushers.

Oh, my 5aching back! Kilroy was here, but he isn't anymore.
    We wake up from what surely has been just a short nap, and before we can say, "Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle!" Or, "This is a fine kettle of fish!"
    We discover that the words we grew up with, the words that seemed omnipresent, as oxygen, have vanished with scarcely a notice from our tongues and our pens and our keyboards.

Poof, go the words of our youth. Where have all those great phrases gone?
    Long gone: Pshaw, The milkman did it. Hey! It's your nickel. Don't forget to pull the chain. Knee high to a grasshopper.
    Well, Fiddlesticks! Going like sixty. I'll see you in the funny papers. Don't take any wooden nickels. Wake up and smell the roses.

It turns out there are more of these lost words and expressions than Carter has liver pills.
    This can be disturbing stuff! (Carter's Little Liver Pills are gone too!)
    Leaves us to wonder where Superman will find a phone booth.
    See ya later, alligator! After a while crocodile. Oki-Doki artichokey!
  • Options
    My dad always use to say that I didn’t know shit from Shinola….now I do.  This was in my Uncle Jim’s stuff that I inherited (my Uncle Jim was my dad’s twin).  My dad passed in ‘1989’, my Uncle in ‘2004’.
  • Options
    When my dad was asked where someone was, and didn’t know, he would say “He went to take a shit and the hogs ate him”.
    When someone was doing strange stuff, he would say, “He’s crazier than a shit-house rat”.
    I ponder *how crazy is a shit-house rat*🤔.   I’m still not sure…….
  • Options
    @opipeman

You must have been around when Jesus was knee high to a life ring to know some of those sayings. 

What I hate are the words that we can no longer use because the meanings have been changed. 
  • Options
    @PappyJoe;
    I'm not that old, but close.
  • Options
    Zouave1864Zouave1864 Master
    edited October 2023
    Wasn't sure what thread to post this in, didn't get a chance to light up a bowl, smoking Strictly forbidden in the museum,  but did spend the day in the Buffalo navel museum.  Toured the  destroyer U.S.S. The Sullivan's, the light cruiser U.S.S Little rock and the sub U.S.S. Croaker. Great place, great staff and good day with the fam
  • Options
    @Zouave1864;
    That's sweet, Brother.
  • Options
    I thought about putting this under "Shits & Giggles" but decided to put it here since it is real.

One of the most fun things to do at Oktoberfest in Germany that I've ever seen...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTwa62PRlVc
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    It seems the weather has changed a bit.  It’s been raining since about 5PM yesterday, and it almost seems like the leaves on the trees have started to change overnight.  It’s about 45F, but I think it may get cooler.  Saturdays low is looking like 35F-ish.  It’s getting close, old man winter is nipping at my ass boys🥶
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar;
    It will be here for all of us soon. We have to take it like it or not.

• Options
    Former President Donald Trump called Hezbollah terrorists “very smart.” 

On Oct. 23, 1983, 220 Marines, 18 U.S. Navy sailors, and 3 U.S. Army soldiers lost their lives in the Marine Barracks at the Beirut Airport.

That was Hezbollah.
  • Options
    God bless you both.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe;
    There is hope and there is joy when you find it. As @Montecristo posted, you bring joy to more than children.
  • Options
  • Options
    Funny but right!