Home Tobacco Talk
Options

What are you guys smoking right Now?

Comments

• Options
    Doing some Dan's Devil's Holiday in a semi-stubby little Paronelli...

• Options
    Deluxe Crumb Cut
  • Options
    I’ve loaded the Pete 03 Barley with “Devil’s Holiday” and my little “Lovelin” with some “Exotic Orange” preparing for “Tank Night” after dinner this evening.
  • Options
    For sure! Add Carolina Red Flake (without that Perique crap) to the mix and you have the best blends there are in my opinion.

• Options
    Westminster in Charlestown cobler 
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ
    Did your Emerald MM have a little accident, or are you just changing it up with a new stem?
  • Options
    This morning's breakfast is Sam Gawith Commonwealth Mixture in an MM Diplomat and a cup of coffee. 
  • Options
    Taking a break from grading exams. Smoking a bowl of CRF (without that perique crap) in a Sav Canadian. By the way, does anyone know what -2(Q-6) equals? Some of my students obviously don't.
  • Options
    @vtgrad2003

Asking questions about math may get you shunned in this group.
    I would guess that's a circular argument though.

• Options
    It's not a question about penis size (although I'm sure mine is the largest 🤣) it's algebra.

• Options
    @vtgrad2003
    I hated algebra almost worse than I hated geometry. It's all advanced forms of math to me.

I was thinking girth not length, by the way. I seem to remember a similar equation about determining the circumference of a circle when you had the beginning and end data points. I could be wrong. I barely made it out of Algebra I and Geometry in high school and really didn't begin to understand the value of them until I worked on diesel engines my first two years in the Coast Guard and then when I started learning about photography. 

Seeing how algebra and geometry were put to practical use in the working world made it easier to understand. 
  • Options
    That's hilarious! 🤣 You're right, girth may be better than length!!!

• Options
    I have said it before and I'll say it again "equations are the devil's sentences"
  • Options
    The girls go for the girth 😉 
  • Options
    vtgrad2003vtgrad2003 Master
    edited April 2022
    Would those be the non-binary type of girls? 🤣 Just askin' because John Holmes and Long Dong Silver would like to know!

• Options
    @vtgrad2003
    Ok, apparently I need to go back to skool😉.  I use to like math….well everything except geometry and calculus.  I had to google that equation….love the google.

• Options
    @PappyJoe I think your referring to Area of rectangle square circle and triangle using Matlabwhich expresses the relationship between a radius / diameter and the circumference of a circle.

I hated algebra as well, math teachers I had could never explain the why, and because of the way my mind is wired ( i need to understand the process) I could never grasp how to understand the language / manipulations.
    I was literally beaten by my father who was an engineer and mathematician because I didn't get it.
    To your point, it wasn't until I was in my mid to late twenties that my job changed and I was working with engineers on machine designs that necessitated my teaching myself.
    Fortunately one of the guys I worked with suggested that I learn to create proofs for the basic expressions, it was painful but it finally gelled and became easy.

When I think back on all the pain and suffering I experienced as a teenager due to my inability to understand much beyond arithmetic it still ticks me off because so little has changed with regard to how it's taught.
    I got to watch all over again when my daughter was in college and had to learn about high energy physics for her degree; she had to work so hard, but eventually she got through it

• Options
    At the undergraduate level, i.e., what I'm teaching my students now in Quantitative Analysis, it's algebra and light calculus. Here's a video I made for the students (one of about 65 tutorial videos for this course) to give you an idea--just realize that this video is used at the end of the semester as we are now, so there's an entire semester's worth of teaching before this.

At the graduate level, like I experienced getting my PhD, it's a lot more like what you experienced. The first 1 1/2 years was nothing but high powered mathematics with very little application. Our typical midterm exam was 9 hours (started at 9 am and finished around 6 pm), usually consisted of one question, and it wasn't unusual to have 30+ pages of calculations for that question, so, I certainly sympathize.

As a side note, we used to have guest researchers in every other Friday to present their research to the department--a few of these were Nobel Prize winners and a couple of Fed Reserve Chairmen to boot. Every time I would sit in the back row of a presentation room that normally held about 40 people, so it wasn't a large event and everyone who attended did so because they were genuinely interested in the topic(s). Every week, a couple of seats from me was a man that would sit in on these lectures. One day I asked him who he was, he responded 'I'm a theoretical physicist in the physics department'. So, I asked the obvious...what are you doing coming to lectures on economics? He responded that our mathematics was so sophisticated that he got a ton of ideas from us. He said that physics is more or less a controlled mathematical environment in the sense that inertia, gravity, theories of relativity, etc., were all fixed functions and all known, but economists model human behavior, so our math had to be dynamic and flexible enough to allow for changing environments, attitudes, and preferences. I thought that was a very interesting response.

• Options
    Irish Cask in Peterson Atlantic. Had trouble keeping things lit in the drizzling rain on the dog walk.  Feeling more irritated than relaxed now. 
  • Options
    @vtgrad2003;
    It has been decades since I have studied math. Is the answer Q=-6?
  • Options
    I used to like algebra. I did not like calculus though. I'm an artist so this should not be a surprise. 
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar
    Sorry for the late reply.  To answer your question, that particular MM Emerald had a crack forming at the base of the bowl. MM replaced the pipe, but not the stem. So I turned the original stem ( too tight for the new pipe ), and placed it on the new pipe MM sent me. Then I repaired the crack in the old Emerald pipe, and restemmed it with another acrylic stem...
    I'm sure that's all perfectly clear...🤪