Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Missouri Meershaum Pipes

Comments

• Options
    @Zouave

I don't think there's a bad choice! I like the open draw from their regular offerings but tend to spend time cleaning up the rough edges. The bent plastic stems are bent to sharply for my taste so I clean up a new Danish stem and bend it to my liking. My wife gave me a few cobs with straight acrylic stems for my birthday, I'm experimenting with opening the draw on those and a Forever stem to decide if plastic or acrylic is the way to go. I personally like the less than $10.00 offerings with a .75 inch diameter and 1.25 inch depth for ribbon cuts and 1.00 inch depth for flakes, plugs and coins.
  • Options
    @Balisong and @vtgrad2003 I ended up ordering a Charlestown cobler. Thanks for the advice
  • Options
    @Zouave
    I just picked one up. You're going to love it
  • Options
    @Londy3 looking forward to it. I'll let you know how I like it
  • Options
    All of my MM cobs smoke well, it just comes down to size and style……and that’s what she said….pa-dump-bump😉
  • Options
    You can get a short acrylic stem for the straight Legend and Pride from https://vermontfreehand.com/product/forever-stem-filtered/ 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    @ashawley
    I pipe mud all of my cobs first thing👍🏻  I too like nose-warmers, they smoke fine for me.  The original  Country Gentlemen is a favorite, hence my  C&D Carolina Gent is my favorite, I like the ~Lovat shape and the color red, so it suits me🙂. The Dagner Poker nose-warmer is a close second, the sturdy sitter comes in handy sometimes.  I really want a Freehand, but dang they are expensive for a cob.
  • Options
    bluecowbluecow Apprentice
    Zouave:  It's hard to best a flat Legend with a straight bit.

Dose anyone know where one can get a Vucani
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited November 2021
    I purchased an Emerald MM at the St. Louis pipe show 2 years ago.  A nice looking pipe and I loved the green lucite stem.
    I did some experimental staining on it as I have other MMs in the past. Didn't care for how it came out, but still a good smoking pipe. 
    After about 10 bowls, I noticed a crack starting to appear at the base of the bowl that only got bigger with each use...
  • Options
    I contacted MM about the issue. They were very nice and courteous, and wanted me to send a picture of the crack. I did.
    The next day they contacted me and said they determined it to be their fault during the plug insertion process. After almost 2 years of ownership, they could not reimburse the entire pipe, but they would send me a new bowl, and to simply use the original stem with the new bowl they were going to ship to me...
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited November 2021
     So I broke out the Loctite gel and filled the crack of the old pipe as best I could. Then fitted a stem I already had to the old bowl. We'll see how long it lasts. After 2 bowls, so far so good...
  • Options
    Not that it makes any difference, but check out the different bowl shapes on the 2 Emeralds...
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited November 2021
    MM Stoker Cobs on sale Friday at BriarworksUSA.com
    Website activates Friday at Noon

• Options
    I have been pondering the rectangular hole in the tenon of some MM pipes🤔.  I wonder why they are rectangles?  I think it has to be something to do with their manufacturing process, or maybe to hold those paper filters from slipping up the stem?  Either way, they seem to smoke very well.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar
    I've never noticed that...interesting.
  • Options
    Comparing my MM Marcus to the MM Mark Twain I just received….the chamber diameter is quite a bit smaller on the Mark Twain.  I wonder if it was bored incorrectly?  Does anyone have a MM Mark Twain?  If so, does the chamber diameter look similar, or is it more akin to the Marcus diameter?
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar
    The go-to guy on cobs is @Balisong ... he'll know.
  • Options
    I didn't like the Marcus or Mark Twain and gave the Mark Twain to a tobacconist. I believe the diameters were the same but the Twain was much deeper. My Marcus has a broken in diameter of 0.73" and depth 1.15" the Twain was an inch and a half or more in depth.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Well, my Mark Twain now has a larger bore…it went into the mill and it is a full  3/4” now.  So far, I like it a lot, along with the Marcus.  The only problem, the stem has a serious indentation on the bottom of the bit, the stem material is so soft and thin….no hole yet, but it only has 3-4 bowls through it😳. As I have mentioned before, I’m hell on stems.  The combination of (apparently) sharp teeth and a strong jaw.  I think my jaw muscles are strengthened from eating😉.  I actually prefer tough steaks, soft steaks creep me out a little, they don’t seem natural.  I know, I’m weird, especially since I have been born, raised, work, and live in cow country.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar
    Replacement stems are only 80 cents. I buy only straight and smooth out the side seams and buttons with a dremel. For bending I put the stem into the cob and immerse about 3/4 of the stem into water just off a boil for 15 or 20 seconds, bend it to my liking and run it under cold water. The Danish bits might tolerate your abuse better. You can get acrylic stems from vermontfreehand.com.
  • Options
    @Balisong
    Thanks for the info.  I just purchased about 5 of each color of the mini and shirt non-filtered stems from MM recently, sadly, this Mark Twain has a filter, so none of them fit..oh well, I bought the stems for other pipes anyway.  I have been thinking of making my own replacement stems for some of my MM pipes, I have the skills, tools and stem material, I just have not done it yet.
  • Options
    ashawleyashawley Enthusiast
    edited March 2022
    I saw Missouri Meerschaum added the White Elephant charcoal filters to their web site:

https://corncobpipe.com/product/white-elephant-charcoal-filters/

This particular size of the German imported filter has been available for a few years and have been known to fit corn cob pipes, but this officially confirms they're fit for use by Missouri Meerschaum. The 6mm carbon filter would be an alternative to USA-made Grabow and Medico paper filters.  At about $0.25 per filter, these are double the price of a traditional paper filter. The charcoal in the filter would suggest it would actively absorb odor and flavor of the tobacco a lot more than a traditional paper filter.

• Options
    MontecristoMontecristo Master
    edited March 2023

A new entry from Missouri Meerschaum, the Honeypot , is a different take on the traditional corn cob pipe. The bowl is hand-turned by a single artisan into an apple shape, but with a pronounced rim so it looks like, well, a honeypot. The bowl has a touch or warm color added, and it’s paired up with a warm brown hardwood shank with a metal cap. The stem is a freehand-style variegated acrylic model. Due to the heft of the stem, this pipe will be a nice clencher, since a lot of the weight is on the stem end, and you’ll get a long life from this attractive mouthpiece.

As a bonus, if you purchase one of these outstanding new cobs, we’re going to include a leather pipe rest that will hold your pipe securely and can easily fit in your pocket when you’re on the go.

Shop Now
    This offer will expire on March 18th, 2023 @ 11:59 PM EST.
    This offer cannot be combined with other offers.

Editorial comment: Sweeeeeet! But, alas, too expensive for one such as I.