Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Missouri Meershaum Pipes

12346»

Comments

• Options
    @Montecristo I loved the look of that cob, but there is no way I'm paying over $30 for it. 
  • Options
    I hate to say it….no I don’t…..I’m opinionated😬
    That MM does not appeal to me at all, weird shape bowl, weird shape stem, weird colored stem.  I’m so glad I dislike it, I do not need another pipe……or do I🤔
  • Options
    @Zouave

Like I said…….
  • Options
    For some reason beyond me, I like that pipe. 
    Sidenote:
    At the pipe show last month, MM was there and their staff told me that the owner's  daughter has taken over a lot of the business. 
    They all seemed excited about it and told me she is very innovative and they expect great things to come from her/MM...
  • Options
    Nope, don't think so. 
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ is correct, Shannon Hoch is now the General Manager of MM.
    I will only say that even if you don't like the design, at least they are making an effort at creating new products.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    And really, there is only so many ways you can carve a cob without rendering it useless as a smoking instrument.  I like the fact that they are changing it up, a d I’m sure there will be some that are pretty cool.  Problem is, spiffing up a cob takes time and some of their appeal (inexpensiveness/value for the money) is lost.
  • Options
    I have been living the new acrylic stems that they have been putting out on the newer cobs. With the exception of only a few, I think they have been making some nice new looks.
  • Options
    I bought two of the MM Honey Pots, being a former beekeeper. I like the look of the stem but does anyone know how to get rid of the plastic taste? 
  • Options
    @Balisong
    What's it coming from? I don't recall ever getting a plastic taste from an MM (even the plastic stems don't really give off a taste like that), is it coming from the finish on the bowl?
  • Options
    @vtgrad2003
    It's coming from the acrylic "forever" stem used on the $30 plus pipes offered as C&D collaborations and MM Artisan releases. The cobs with the regular plastic stems break in after one or two fills, the acrylic stems on the other hand continue to taste of acrylic/plastic. I'd like to customize some of the acrylic stems from vermontfreehand.com but fear I'll be throwing away money! 
  • Options
    @Balisong
    I have several of the acrylic MM stems and have never got a “plastic” taste from them.  Perchance, are you drinking some higher proof alcohol….not that I think you are tipsy, but that higher proof alcohol will not be kind to the acrylic, stinger stuff will even haze it?
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar
    Interesting! I don't drink anything stronger than wine but I do run an alcohol dipped pipe cleaner through the stem when I'm done. I stop that and see what happens! Thanks!
  • Options
    @Balisong
    If it’s like 50% (100 proof if potable) or less, it should be ok?
  • Options
    @Balisong
    Just an FYI, if you decide to use some other type of stem cleaner/pipe sweetener, I would steer clear of the Decatur Pipe Shield Briar-Fresh.  To me, I would swear it’s toilet bowl cleaner.  The directions actually say to leave it dry for at least a half hour before smoking. And Not for internal use.  Do not use on wood.  

I actually poured the two bottles in my toilet.
    Your mileage may vary, just my opinion, and I have not had anyone say one way or the other what they think about it after I asked about it here.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar
    I use isopropyl on my regular plastic cob stems and shanks with no problem. The acrylic stems may be more porous or chemically reactive with the additive in the isopropyl. I'm going to try soaking and cleaning a couple of the acrylics in dish detergent then not cleaning at all for a few smokes and see if that helps. We use Dawn, if it's safe enough for ducks it shouldn't hurt a stem!
  • Options
    It's interesting that the other pipes I have with acrylic stems, Peterson, Savinelli, etc. don't have the same problem. I wonder if those stems are a different composition or treated with some type of sealant.