Home General

What are you Drinking while smoking your pipe today?

Comments

• mfresamfresa Master
    Sierra Nevada 40th Anniversary with Dunhill Mature Virginia.  Nice pairing!
  • I passed on the opportunity to purchase and try Dill Pickle flavored vodka. 
  • @PappyJoe
    A Pickleback in a bottle🙂
  • Drinking Hot Coffee today.  The weather has cooled off with some afternoon showers.  It’s all the way down to 78F🙂
  • edited July 2021
    @PappyJoe
    I’d try it, but I like dill pickles…not so much for Vodka, but I would try it.  After having imbibed Chinese Snake Alcohol in the past, Dill Pickle Vodka can’t be all that bad.  By the way the Snake Wine? It tasted like (I would imagine) Everclear had been strained through some well worn gym socks filled with ripened cheese into a shotglass. It wasn’t terrible, but hey, I’m a lowbrow kinda drinker.  I’ll try almost anything once😬
  • motie2motie2 Master
    edited July 2021
    The foulest pricey liquor?

No contest: Wu Liang Ye, made from sorghum. Tastes like the Turkish army is marching barefoot over your tongue and down your throat. 

I’m told you must be Han to appreciate it.
  • @RockyMountainBriar
    After talking with some friends, we've decided it would only be worth while in a Bloody Mary. Only one of them said they would drink it, but she also believes drinking a glass of pickle juice a day is good for your health.
  • motie2motie2 Master
    If the sommelier is named Morarji Desai, run.
  • KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    Decided to put on my connoisseur jacket and have a cherry pepsi while doing a bowl...😏
  • motie2motie2 Master
    @KA9FFJ

Have you tried Coke Zero Sugar Vanilla-Orange?

Addictive, especially if you were a creamsicle fan…..
  • @motie2
    I love Creamsicle’s, but really, really, really dislike artificial or substitute sugars.  I am not a fan of high fructose corn syrup either.  Not that I against it as a sweetener. It just makes my Mountain Dew, Coca-Cola and Pepsi-Cola…..well syrupy👎🏻  Mountain Dew especially, is less thirst quenching because of it.  The original Dew was so much more refreshing on a hot summer day.  The “Throwback” Dew is/was great, but I don’t drink pop (soda, for you that are not from Montana😉) like I use to.
  • motie2motie2 Master
    edited July 2021
    @RockyMountainBriar

I’m generally with you on the artificial sweeteners, which is why I drink seltzer type “sodas.”  But this new Coke vanilla orange tempted me, and then set the hook in deep. :p
  • KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    @motie2
    Sold me... Heading to the store tomorrow...
  • Sparking water and chemicals, count me out!
  • All of the artificial sweeteners are bad for your kidneys. At least that's what my doctor claims so I limit my intake of soft drinks, soda or pop and seldom drink them.
    What I personally find as a good summer refresher is club soda with a couple of dash of lime or lemon juice, or a splash of orange juice. I drink unsweetened ice tea also. 
  • motie2motie2 Master
    As usual, @pappyjoe is right on target. 

However, I use crystalized lemon, lime, orange and grapefruit juices. They come in packets like artificial sweetners, but are 100% juice. Very handy for cooking or mixing into drings. Fast/instant dissolving in seltzer.

And I try to limit the artificially sweetened sodas.    Oh how I try.......
  • Tonight's cocktail was an extreme bourbon old fashion stone sour.
    I happened upon an a recipe for a sour mix that is just the bomb and I have been integrating it it into many cocktails of late.

I will share the recipe in the near future, just don't have the energy tonight.
  • Enjoying a bowl of "Scotty's University Professor" in a Savinelli Canadian Straight Grain #7003 with a wee taste of the Irish. It is so smooth, that it has taken me 10 minutes to post this. Life is so good my brothers and sisters, I wish I could share a glass with each and every one of you>

• Oh and I almost forgot Slaint'e to each and all.
  • Londy3Londy3 Master
    I am anti-soda/pop, anti-fake sugar and always have been. 
    Sparkling water with lime for me. On the weekends for a little happy hour, just add vodka. Nice hot summer day beverage. 

Right now, locally roasted coffee i grind myself. Added a little molasses and cream. So good.

• Londy3Londy3 Master
    @RockyMountainBriar
    You know how to rock it man!

Eer, um... Not like the song rocket man🚀 more like Rock It 🎸🎶😉
  • So I found a different recipe for sour mix that in my opinion is absolutely the best, thus I have been experimenting with different cocktails with phenomenal results.
    Tonight's cocktail Du Jour is my extreme bourbon old fashion except I have included the a fore mentioned sour mix transforming it to a an extreme bourbon old fashion stone sour.
    The taste is fantastic and while I will eventually share the old fashion recipe once I quantify the components,I wanted to, in the mean time, to share the sour mix recipe.
    You wound be surprised how many cocktails depend on sour mix.

To make a quart of your very own sour mix at home, which is enough for about 18 individual cocktails (!!!), start with 1 grapefruit, 4 limes, and 6 lemons. Give all the citrus a good scrub under cold water to get any schmutz off, and then use a vegetable peeler to remove wide strips of the zest from that grapefruit, all those limes, and three of the lemons. Toss all of the zest into a saucepan along with 1 cup of granulated sugar and ½ cup of water, bring the whole situation up to a simmer over medium heat and let it bubble, stirring occasionally, until the sugar is totally dissolved, which should only take 3 or 4 minutes. Take that saucepan off the heat to cool while you get juicing. (You can also set the saucepan in a bowl of ice water if you’re really in a hurry; it doesn’t need to be cold-cold, but it shouldn’t be super hot when you mix it with the citrus juice.)

Now, using your citrus juicing-mechanism of choice, go to town on the zested and un-zested citrus. You’re ideally looking to get ½ cup grapefruit juice, ½ cup lime juice, and 1 cup lemon juice, which may mean that you don’t need to use all of your citrus depending on their juiciness. Strain the juice through a fine mesh sieve into a quart-sized jar or bottle, then strain your zest-infused simple syrup into the same vessel, close tightly, and shake to combine. Ta-da! Homemade sour mix that will stay good for three days in the fridge (if it lasts that long).

Cheers

• Londy3Londy3 Master
    @mapletop
    You know I need the recipe right? 🥃👊
  • @Londy3   I will try to get out this week
  • One additional comment on that recipe, I found that the mix easily lasts a couple weeks in the fridge
  • motie2motie2 Master
    @mapletop

I zest limes all the time. I’ve found a microplane is more efficient than a peeler or zester.