Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Pipe Tobacco Reviews

Comments

• Options
    @motie2

Gordon, I would never steer you wrong. My "problem" is, between the Egg Nog and the Butternut Burley, I have been neglecting ALL the many other blends that live with me. Today I filled my Medico Medalist (purchased by me in 1965 making him 56 years old, a Junior in high school) with Egg Nog, sat out in the sun and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I LOVE this blend, and as soon as the bucks allow I am going to stock up. I think this is a relatively unknown jewel. Happy, happy smokes.

I am glad your son is OK......I had a discussion with "The Man Upstairs" for you.
  • Options
    @pwkarch

I just wish it had a different name.....

”Say, what’s that you’re smoking?”

”Egg Nog.”

“<guffaw>“
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited February 2021
    Can't remember if I ever posted this historical document from 2015 by the legendary JIMINKS
    http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/jims-sutliff-match-reviews

The reviewer covers matches for a lot of OTC and drugstore blends, including many that are no longer available:

Amphora Red, Argosy. Balkan, Sobranie, Balkan Sobranie 759, Barking Dog, Bourbon Street, Briggs, Brindley’s Mixture, Chatham Manor (Carter Hall Match), Country Doctor, Crown Achievement, Dunhill Early Morning Pipe, Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture, Dunhill London Mixture,Dunhill’s My Mixture 965, Dunhill’s Nightcap,Dunhill Standard Mixture Medium, Edgeworth Ready Rubbed, Erinmore Mixture, Field and Stream,Flying Dutchman, Four Seasons, Hines, Holiday, John Rolfe, Kentucky Club Mild, Kentucky Club Mixture Aromatic, Lane’s Blend Eleven, Mapleton, Middleton Cherry Blend, Middleton London Dock, Model, Prince Albert (P&C’s Mid-Town Prince Andrew), Revelation, Royal Comfort, Rum and Maple, Sail Green, Sail Yellow, Sugar Barrel, Troost Aromatic, Union Leader, VIP, Walnut, Wine Berry 

• Options
    @motie2
    I could not agree more with those 2 reviews. This blend is flying under the radar which is a potential twofold issue. One, if it catches on with more smokers it will certainly get more accolades, possibly making it hard to come by. Two, if more people do not make it a popular blend, someone could make the command decision to stop blending it, feeling it is "unpopular" and a financial "looser" I have to say that practically all I have been smoking here for about two months is the Egg Nog, and Scottys' Butternut Burley. I can hear ALL my other jarred blends getting depressed as they are feeling neglected.

• Options
    @pwkarch

Yeah, just when I was re-transitioning into English/Balkan blends (White Knight, Sasieni, Magnum Opus) an aromatic with a funny name draws me back in.🤪
  • Options
    Enjoying the H&H Egg Nog very much, despite its name.
    However, I'm awaiting an order of Barbados Plantation (I'm out) to mix with it.
    I anticipate the mix to be a more pronounced version of Spiced Rum.

Egg Nog features, "vanilla, rum, cinnamon and nutmeg"
    Barbados Plantation features...... "rum."
    Should be excellent.
    Many thanks @pwkarch for the Egg Nog recommendation!

If y'all are into aromatics, you should give the Egg Nog a try.
    It's a superior version of Christmas Spice.
  • Options
    @motie2
    Gordon
    I just yesterday recieved another pound of this Egg Nog. I was sujrprised that the bag in which it came, it was a Sutliff Product bag. I had no oidea this was a Sutliff product. I had assumed the Hearth and Home prolducts to be an independent entity. That makes sense in that I do not think I have ever found a Sutliff product to be anything other than enjoyable. Once I get over the infatuation with this blend singularly I too have some ideas in terms of "frankenblends"., although much like some of my other favorites I might consider mixing Egg Nog with others as a sacrelige. 

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited February 2021
    @pwkarch

On the basis of this recommendation alone, you get into pipe smoker hall of fame.

It took real courage to order egg nog flavored tobacco.
  • Options
    I want to have my plauqe between Ted Williams and Mickey Mantle........oh wait a minute, wrong Hall of Fame
  • Options
    @pwkarch

I understand they’ve got Ted William’s head in cryo-storage. No kidding.....
  • Options
    @motie2
    Yes.....some years ago members of his family were fighting over the rights to the noggin......imagine that
  • Options
    <<giggle>>

Gawith and Hoggarth Happy Bogie Twist
    https://youtu.be/0ckcdb2P7rA
  • Options
    Do any of you have any experience with Samuel Gawith Hansom Flake, a Virginia/Perique Flake with what is described as “a very mild baking cocoa topping?”
  • Options
    I wish, sounds good.
  • Options
    Speaking of pipe tobacco reviews....

Has anyone else noticed that tobaccoreviews.com has updated it's website.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited March 2021

@Balisong and I posted about this on March 13 in the Internet Finds discussion folder. 😃
  • Options
    WILKE LIZZIE BLOOD RED ENGLISH  https://www.wilkepipetobacco.com/product-page/wilke-lizzie-blood-red-english

The very smoky, woodsy, earthy, musty sweet Cyprian Latakia takes a small lead. The Virginia offers grass and lightly tart and tangy citrus as a support base for the other components. The nutty, earthy, woody, toasty, lightly molasses sweet Tennessee burley is a tad more obvious than the Virginia. The earthy, woody perique is a spicy, raisiny, plumy condiment. The cavendish provides a few sweet honey, vanilla, and caramel notes, though they are very elusive. The blood red orange topping has some richness as it moderately sublimates the tobaccos, and cohesively forms a very consistent sweet, campfire flavor. The strength is a step past the center of mild to medium, while the taste level is a slot past that mark. The nic-hit is a rung below the center of mild to medium. Won’t bite or get harsh, and has no rough spots. Burns cool, clean, and rather smooth at a reasonable rate. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. Has a very pleasant, lightly lingering after taste, and room note. An easy going, all day aromatic English.
                                                                                         -JimInks
  • Options
    I went through a phase where I spent all my mad money on a variety of pipe tobacco blends to load up my cellar in preparation for the oncoming zombie apocalypse. I eventually came to the conclusion that at age 71, I'll be somewhere in the vicinity of 136 before I smoked my cellar dry. So unless some new blend really intrigues me I've all but quit buying new blends. And as a result haven't been able to write any new reviews ... which kind of sucks. I really enjoyed sharing reviews. Now I'm just content to read reviews from others. 
  • Options
    @ghostofpompeii
    Hello Joe
    Same here being 72, and some math ability, I too have accumulated more Pipe Tobacco ( and cigars) than I could possibly smoke unless I liove to about 150. I have tried to explain to my wife (without explicit self incrination) what monies were spent here, and my guess as to the current value. I have a SIL and friends who do smoke cigars, but no one comes to mind that smoke pipes. Botom line is there is a significant value here in aged tobacco. I guess I am going to have to step up my cadence here.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited April 2021
    MONSTER PIPE TOBACCO REVIEW LIST FROM LEPIPE.IT
    (You may have to use Chrome, which will translate the Italian site into English.....)
    https://www.lepipe.it/it/archivio_recensioni.asp
  • Options
    Dang you @motie2😖, your rubbing my nose in it🙂
    I did not quite get my order in for those McClelland orientals before they were gone, that and their “Beacon”🙁
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited April 2021
    ASHTON Rainy Day:
    Let's start off with a look at the tin and the info on the label...

• Options
    Opening the tin. The tobacco was just a TOUCH on the moist side, but not too moist IMHO...

• Options
    @KA9FFJ

Sounds terrific/??? Review forthcoming????
  • Options
    To me, it is a combination of ribbon and cross cut. Packs well and lights with little effort. 
    Upon lighting, the nutty flavor immediately started making itself known. After half way through the bowl, I still cannot detect the tropical fruits, but that could simply be from my lack of palate sensitivity. 
    I was looking for signs of the whiskey from aging in the barrels,  but couldn't detect it until I expelled the smoke through my nostrils. THEN the whiskey came through.
    All in all a very mild and pleasurable experience. I wouldn't go out of my way to place a special order, but if a tin was available while multi-blend ordering, I would tack it to the list...
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ

Thank you, my Brother. Good pocket review......