Home General
Options

What are you Drinking while smoking your pipe today?

Comments

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Still raining.... that's a third day now. No pipe for me.
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    Getting ready for a radio show. Having my fav LL7 in my fav Savinelli with some of my fav bourbon Woodford Reserve. Salute y'all!

• Options
    @Londy3 - I love that pipe. What model is it?
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    edited June 2019
    Hey @jfreedy, this is my favorite the Savinelli Piazza Di Spanga prince shape #315

• Options
    Some Crown Royal Apple with 50/50 Northwest Trek and VBC. Awesome pairing!
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    edited June 2019
    @jfreedy, was not sure if you knew the back story of the Savinelli pipe so please scroll up...

....or for anyone else who'd like to know 😁
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    After dinner, there were two lime quarters left over, so I went out on the rear deck with two fingers of Jonah's Curse black spiced rum, rocks, and the lime. Also a mix of 2/3rds Carey Revolution and 1/3rd Frog Morton's Cellar in an EA Carey large billiard.  Apotheosis.   If I could, I'd smoke nothing but this mixture, abandoning Barbados Plantation, but I only have about an ounce of FMC left.... :'(
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    @motie2, that was a sad story about a custom blend. Rest in peace FMC 😢. 
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Amen, and Amen. Requiescat in pace, sweet froggy prince.
  • Options
    Ron191Ron191 Master
    I'm sipping on a cup of fair trade tea from Tenfold Fair Trade store in Harpers Ferry. I get a great cup of tea and the farmers get a fair price for their crop. Everybody wins. I'm having it with Captain Black classic bit of would go well with Maltese Falcon or another medium English blend. 
  • Options
    Leadslingers rye on the rocks with some Macbaren 7 seas royal. 
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    LL7 in my Savinelli Piazza Di Spagna with some Larceny bourbon.

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @Londy3
    Tell us a little about LL7? Flavor? Aroma? Room Note?
  • Options
    My only day off this week. I’m on the porch watching a massive storm roll in while drinking some salted caramel whiskey and smoking some Maltese Falcon. 
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Jonah's Curse Black Spiced Rum with a squeeze of lime, on the rocks.

EA Carey Revolution Tabac with a pinch of GL Pease Lagonda, in a EA Carey apple.

"Aromatics are better with a little Latakia."
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    Peter Stokkebye Luxury English blend in my Molina bent with a glass of Malbec from Argentina

• Options
    @Londy3 I’m on my back porch listening to the thunder enjoying some Woodford Reserve. Brought you to mind seeing as how it’s one of your favorite bourbons. Cheers buddy. 
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Anybody remember recommending Brinley Shipwreck Spiced Rum? I finally scored a bottle. i'll report after I've tried it and compared it to Jonah's Curse......
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    @Michael308 Woodford Reserve is definitely one that is always in my cabinet. It's my standard bourbon. There are many others I enjoy and perhaps will shave here on the form sometime. Enjoy it this weekend too buddy. 
  • Options
    Ron191Ron191 Master
    Hamms beer while smoking some Carter Hall in a Dr Grabow Grand Duke. 

I just finished a midnight snack of Vienna sausages and crackers with a Hamms beer. This is a light cross refreshing beet without the national advertisement campaign. It i therefore s very cost effective. It is also very tasty. It is hard to argue with a beer that is reasonably priced and that tastes good. 
  • Options
    PappyJoePappyJoe Master
    edited July 2019
    @Ron191 - I remember Hamm's. I thought they stopped making it after the brewery was bought by Olympia. 
    At one time, Hamm's was a national brand. I remember the commercials with the Hamm's Bears on tv. I think they even sold Hamm's in cans that resembled beer kegs.
  • Options
    Ron191Ron191 Master
    edited July 2019
    @PappyJoe I don't remember the commercial but I do remember the Hamms beer sign showing up in a Saturday morning cartoon. It was in one of the old theatrical cartoons that they used to run before the main feature. The local Washington DC independent station must be picked it up on a bundle of old movie features. 

I didn't know Olympia bought them. I know that Miller/Coors owns them now. 

At $3.49 a six pack from the local Food Lion and beer that tastes like beer used to it is hard to turn down. I can live without the national advertising and the racing team.  :)
  • Options
    UhcoogsfanUhcoogsfan Apprentice
    @motie2 seeing you drinking rum, what are your favorites? Just finished off a bottle of Papa’s Pillar Dark Rum from Hemingway’s (not in one sitting!).  Trying to branch out to try different brands.
  • Options
    @Ron191 - Yep. Olympia bought Hamm's around 1975. Olympia was then purchased by Pabst. Miller Brewing then purchased Hamm's from Pabst (about the same time that Coors bought the Olympia brand). Miller was sold to South African Breweries. A few years later, SABMiller merged its U.S. and Puerto Rican assets with MolsonCoors and formed MillerCoors. MillerCoors is now the owner and producer of Hamm's.

I was a big beer drinker in the 70s & 80s and there was quite a "beer war" going on back then. Breweries started gobbling up their competition and then eliminating the different brands. In the Pacific Northwest, Olympia bought competing breweries Rainer and Hiedelberg and then started buying up out of state brands until they ran out of money and became financially unstable. That's when Pabst swooped in and bought Olympia. 

The same thing happened to other older brands like Falstaff, Jax, and Schlitz among others. For awhile back in the 1990s, it seemed that there were really only two or three major beer companies that owned the majority of beer brands. Eventually all the beers really started to taste the same, in my opinion, which is why small local craft breweries started becoming popular.
  • Options
    UhcoogsfanUhcoogsfan Apprentice
    It has been a long week. Mother in law was rushed to hospital and started my chemo treatments for skin cancer so last night finally had time to sit on the back porch and have some relaxation time with Captain Black Royal and a glass of Papa’s Pillar Dark Rum. This morning it has been Sutliff Rum and Maple with a cup of coffee.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited July 2019
    Uhcoogsfan - I've been chasing the perfect rum since 2003, having been infected with the rum thing by Captain Jack Sparrow ["But, why is the rum gone?"]. Around 2010 I decided to focus on dark rums. This led to spiced rums which I had not considered. I went thru Bacardi Oakheart, various Capt. Morgans, the Kraken, Cruzan 9, the big names. Never paid more than $30.00 for a bottle; usually no more than $20.00. I liked Cruzan 9 the best of that lot, but it's hard to get in my county. I also discovered that I did not have "good taste" in spiced rums, tending to like cheaper rums made in totally embarrassing places, like NOT the Caribbean, but New Jersey. I'm like that with soy sauce too, preferring La Choy or Chun King, to Kikkoman (spellings?). 

So, I drank Sailor Jerry for about a year, before discovering Jonah's Curse Black Spiced Rum, which I've been drinking since 2017. Anyway, someone recently recommended Brinley's Shipwreck Spiced Rum. It's 70+ proof to Jonah's Curse's 90+ proof, but it drinks more like an Irish Whiskey, IMHO. Jonah's Curse is sweeter, with a thicker mouth feel. Whereas I drink rum straight (sipping), on the rocks. or -- rarely -- in a mixed drink, I admit to pouring Jonah's Curse on Cherry Garcia ice cream. I won't be doing that with the Brinley's. OTOH, I'm going to prefer the Jonah's Curse, with its higher alcoholic content, for cleaning pipes. OTOH, I'm going to try flavoring some innocuous tobacco blend with the Brinley's; maybe make my own version of Barbados Plantation, my favorite tobacco blend; or FM's Cellar..

Prayers said for your mother.
  • Options
    @motie2
    I don’t remember if I have asked/mentioned it before, but have you tried Meyer’s Dark Rum?