Home General
Options

The Daily Briar Photoshoot - Show Us Your Pipes And Be Creative

Comments

• Options
    @thebadgerpiper Love those Old Spice containers. I had the lighthouse as well. Think my wife took it to Goodwill when she was downsizing in the garage.
  • Options

My two Burl-King Thumbhole Bridge Pipes. And an empty can of Sugar Barrel pipe tobacco that I found at an antique store. Shame there was no tobacco in it, I've heard good things about Sugar Barrel.

• Options
    @ghostsofpompeii I didn't know the lighthouse was also for old spice. A lot of this stuff was with my grandpa's old boating trophies and memorabilia. He was a fan of his old spice, so that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the info!
  • Options
    @Jeff20 Love the photo lay-out. Very cool.
  • Options
    Bloodhound61Bloodhound61 Master
    edited August 2018
    @thebadgerpiper, tell me about this Corn Cob Nation? I did a web search and only found a couple of scattered blog results (and a Facebook link that I haven't pursued since I'm in an anti-social media mood these days). As a fellow cob lover, I'd be interested in learning more.
  • Options
    @Bloodhound61 I was in the same boat as you. I did a google search for Cob Nation, and everything was about the facebook page. Now, I have a facebook account, but I keep my pipe hobby separate from my facebook account. However, I decided just to set my groups to private, bit the bullet and joined. That's the unfortunate part of it all, as I wish there were other ways to participate other than facebook.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I have to admit, I started out as a Cob Snob and associated the corn cob pipe with mountain folk. Most of the pipes were cheap knock-offs at drug stores that appeared cheaply made. My mental image of a true pipe smoker was the sophisticated gent or scholar with a bent billiard briar sitting by the fireplace or standing in front of a chalkboard calculating the shortest distance from Earth to Jupiter, and not a guy whittling on his front porch in bib overalls puffing a corn cob pipe and drinking moonshine from a Mason jar. My only real experience with a cob was a cheap miniature pipe I picked up at a novelty shop for under a buck. It was the same pipe I smoked the day I found myself stuck in an elevator for several hours and proceeded to smoke bowl after bowl until the pipe literally burst into flames. Then one day while scanning the pages of a Pipes&Cigars catalog I came upon an ad for Missouri Meerschaum cobs and was impressed enough with the many designs to buy a couple. When they arrived I secreted myself to a hidden location away from the prying eyes of like minded Cob Snobs like myself for fear of being called-out as a hillbilly. The experience proved to be a revelation. This was no "throw-away-after-one-smoke pipe" like I once assumed. It was everything a briar pipe offered at an affordable price. And it also proved to be the perfect pipe during my experimentation period as I tried English Latakia blends that might otherwise have ghosted my pipes. A Cob is the only way I'll ever smoke Sutliff Mixture #79. So my prejudice was unfounded and the pipes have proved to be as durable and long lasting as my inexpensive pear wood or briar seconds basket pipes. And I'm just as comfortable smoking my cob out in public as an expensive briar. I just refrain from whittling while smoking.     
  • Options
    RandyB1966RandyB1966 Enthusiast
    Eyes like me some corn cob.  My new favorite is Charleston Gent its a great smoke.
  • Options

With all the new members I thought I'd bump this up so they might take advantage of this post and add photos of their pipe collection, as well as take a gander at the collection of others who have previously posted pictures. I've gotten a few new pipes to add as well.     

• Options
    KenofAhwlbyKenofAhwlby Enthusiast
    Now I’m going to get my camera fired up.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar - I love the collection... especially the pipe third from the right. Cool rim engraving. 
  • Options
    @jfreedy
    Thank You.  I even forgot one, a 2007 #B7.  Apparently, I have too many pipes.  I can’t keep track of them.

Those 2015 SPD pipes were VERY popular.  I watched Smokingpipes.com blow through at least 100 pipes in less than two hours.  I had one in my cart that actually went “out of stock” because someone was quicker on the “buy” button.

I wish they would have been able to stain the very top ring of the bowl green instead of black.  I think it would have looked even better.
  • Options
    mapletopmapletop Master
    edited March 2019
    @RockyMountainBriar Interesting you mention that, over the weekend Smoking pipes had a 15% of estates, Found one I really wanted but had to leave for a wedding reception.
    When I got back a few ours later, was gone, have to say it pissed me off, so much so that I found another pipe at tobacco pipes, bought it and another 300+ worth of tobacco at P&C & Smoking pipes.
    Lesson learned on both counts, binge buying just cause I'm pissed is not very satisfying.

• Options
    @mapletop. Yes, my friend. I know the felling (frustration), got the same not long ago but the god part is that we learn our lesson. Now, if I see a pipe that really like, I get it on spot. 
  • Options
    @mapletop
    It wasn’t the Dunhill Ruby Bark 3101 (2011) was it?
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar  I saw that Dunhill while I was browsing but the one I missed out on was a Bari
  • Options
    @mapletop
    Whew, I did not want you to be mad at me😬
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar Beautiful collection. I especially like the B30, B60, and the 68. I'll have to keep those shapes in mind next time I pick up a Peterson.
  • Options
    @thebadgerpiper
    Thank you.  
    My favorite is the B30, love my dublins, followed closely by the 03 then by the B65, by shape anyway.  The B30 has some awesome birds-eye grain.  That Celtic type carving and color scheme on the 68 is the best theme for a St. Patrick’s Day pipe so far (in my opinion).  Even though I am not a fan of carvings/rustication/and to a lesser extent, sandblasts (some contrast stained, ring-grained sandblasts are awesome).  I just noticed however when I pulled it out of the pipe cabinet that areas on the stummel have discolored to a light black, and the overall finish is not as “green” as it once was.  It has only been smoked a few times, and it is out of direct sunlight in my cabinet, actually it was one of the pipes most protected from any light in the cabinet, so I am not sure what is going on.  I have heard that Peterson green stained pipes have discoloration issues, this pipe seems to confirm that🙁.
         I am not a big fan of “army” mounts or matte finishes, but I couldn’t pass these two 2018 and 2019 pipes up.  One because it is the first SPD issue with Sterling Silver and the other because it is the first true “system” SPD pipe issue.
  • Options
    I bought this pipe from the WALLY FRANK seconds bin in their store on Madison Ave. sometime in either 1970 or 71. Somehow I've managed to not lose it over all these years.
  • Options
    PappyJoePappyJoe Master
    edited March 2019
    @EricRuark Did I miss the photo of your Wally Frank?