Home Tobacco Talk
Options

What are you guys smoking right Now?

Comments

• Options
    ;) Plus, I put so much effort into my cellar, I try to enjoy it as much as I can @TaylorJDutton
  • Options
    @ocpunk714 @TaylorJDutton

Guys, not to come off as a "know it all", because I am not, but. I found with either pipes or cigars, too many repititious smokes seem to dull the taste buds and the entire orfactory experience. Since we are not smoking pipes like a cigarette smoker merely to get a nicotine fix, I guess we smoke because we simply enjoy the relaxing "experience" sans nicotine for the most part.

There are days when I MIGHT smoke 3 bowls or so, but those days are the exception. I fully believe smoking fewer bowls lets me enjoy the decreased number more as the day goes on. I can taste the tobacco notes, my mouth stays bite free, and the retrohales provide me with more flavor. I think (I hope) that a lot of "pipers" would agree with that observation. I also notice that phenomenom disappers for the most part if I smoke the same blend all day.

When I was smoking MOSTLY cigars, I smoked too many in a day and found that there was a significant degradation in the flavor, aroma, and taste of the same quality cigar as the day went on. I have noticed that same observation with my pipes. Also of interest is the choices in tobacco genres, nicotine, and flavors. I always suggest (perhaps contrary to some opinions) that to smoke various tobaccos during the day, it is best to sort of sneak up on the strength. Starting out with a "stronger" blend (in flavor or strength) will decrease and impair the flavors of subsequent tobacco choice(s).

I guess what I am saying is that this is a case of "less is more" relative at least my personal enjoyment of pipe smoking. And of course we do not want to ignore the health consequence potential of too much smoking of any tobacco product over the long haul.

Meanwhile we should enjoy our hobby as we see fit on an individual basis.
  • Options
    @pwkarch I don’t actually deal with much bite in a lot of the blends I smoke. The heavy lat bombs and periques are very spicy, but I don’t experience any burn out on flavors. I feel like that could happen if stay stuck on something like Gaslight which I recently purchased. Strong Latakia blends would be hard to do regularly. 
  • Options
    @pwkarch Right on brother. I usually smoke 3 to 6 bowls a week and that seems to give me a great week of piping... Although sometimes less, but usually more, that tends to be my weekly average...
  • Options
    It's a day off and the weather here is grand so I'm enjoying my 3rd bowl of the day.  This time it's Sasieni Balkan in a Kriswell. I may have a 4th bowl before I go to bed, but it's an usual day. I usually have 2 bowls a day on average. 

• Options
    ocpunk714ocpunk714 Master
    edited April 2018
    I’ve also been trying to perfect my light and tamp technique. 1 match, no re-lights. It’s working out quite nice with the Va/Per blends.

It feels like I’m molding the ember and ash with my tamp to an even flat surface that slightly crackles.

• Options
    Had to give my pipe a rest tonight since having some TMJ issues.
  • Options
    Currently enjoying a bowl of Captain Earle's Night Watch in my Peterson 303 while I have the house to myself. Not in the house, mind you, but it's still quite nice out in my garage.
  • Options
    @Jayhawk422, would switching to a churchwarden help? You don't have to clench them, holding them in your hand.  Just thinking....
  • Options
    @ocpunk714, thats one of my Friday shirts...lol
  • Options
    @pwkarch - You make some good points. At the pipe club meetings I often find myself sampling 5 or 6 different tobaccos and while they aren't full bowls, I do find myself struggling to taste the tobacco by the end of the night. I often don't smoke the day after the meetings either because I want to give my tongue a rest.

• Options
    Starting my day with H&H Virginia Memory in my little Baracini pot.
  • Options
    I'm mostly a weekend burner. So really a few bowls and that's it for me.  I don't think will ever do it everyday. 
  • Options
    @mfresa the church warden worked great. Had some royal yacht before heading to the movies.
  • Options
    Think I will back off the pix for awhile, again thanks for taking the screw up with a sense of humor. It was embarrassing.Well today I had some C&D Nutty Irishmen.
  • Options
    Woodbridge in a bent dublin.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Alright?! Who put @PappyJoe off topic? Lol. We’re having an inside conversation, “conversation” with @pwkarch

Anyway...I have had a bowl of Red Stag packed from yesterday evening. Gonna light it up in a few.
  • Options
    King of Swords in my Carey Natural English Gentleman. I concede to the great @motie2. This is a cool, dry smoking pipe that I reach for more often than I thought I would. More Carey pipes will be added to the rotation, I'm sure! 

• Options
    @Kmhartle Nifty looking hat brother 
  • Options
    Found a cross over blend I really like.  It's call Aromatic English from Sutliff.  I get it through Smoking Pipes.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Working on a Latakia/Stoved Black Virginia/Burley mix I call, “Sweet James Jones”. It’s 40% Lat, 25% SBV & 15% White Burley. This is definitely going to be a Royal Buck Blend for our summer club packages B)

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Bumped up the Latakia and White Burley 10% each. I can definitely stamp my name on this as being a blend I would truly smoke of my own personal preference.

“Sweet James Jones” is born...I am so excited about this one. 

• Options

Dont want to say anything. I might be put off topic. 
  • Options
    In all fairness to @jfreedy, I'd bet my pipe collection and tobacco cellar that he inadvertently hit the off topic button while scrolling and didn't even realize it. I've done it myself a few times by accident. That's why I try not to get on the forum with my phone. My fat fingers are apt to hit something I don't want. It's hard enough on the iPad at times. I noticed I had an "off topic" for welcoming a new member in the "Welcome New Members" thread. I'm assuming for the same reason.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    @Kmhartle I was just razzing whoever did it. lol. Seems like we’ve all been having a few tech issues lately. My phone is extremely out of sorts at the moment.
  • Options
    @ocpunk714 LOL! Yes, I know the razzing is all in jest. I was curious enough to go back and see who marked it off topic. Tech issues is an understatement. For some reason I couldn't upload pics the other day.

By the way, Sweet James Jones looks intriguing!! 
  • Options
    edited April 2018

@Kmhartle It’s better than anything I’ve done in my opinion. I like the Sutliff Black Stoved Virginias. They just came out so hopefully it becomes a mainstay on PipesandCigars. As a newbie blender, it has captivated my attention. 

I used some with my Organic Burley, White Burley and a small amount of Latakia & Orientals. It’s called Rugged Terrain since my shredded tobacco is pretty rough looking.
  • Options
    Come on Senior Chief.....you are always on topic and ahead of the game.....someone hit the wrong icon.