Home Pipes & Tools
Options

How do you light your Pipe?

Comments

• Options
    SimpleSimple Newcomer
    I am starting to think there is more than tobacco in some people's pipes.
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    Pula Pula twigs that have not been seasoned correctly tend to have too much resin in them. I used to know an old Himara fisherman in French Guyana that was a good source, but I haven't heard from him in quite some time.

I don't recommend you using them from an unknown supplier. 
  • Options
    SimpleSimple Newcomer
    What's wrong with the nimrod? I'm watching one on eBay for 10 bucks. Obviously there must be a reason more people aren't using them.
  • Options
    @Simple, noting at all wrong with the Nimrod, as long as your palate is not offended by the lighter fluid that they use.
  • Options
    Lighter fluid fumes or not, I'd love to come across a reasonably priced Beattie Jet Lighter in good working condition. I had one back in the day and I remember liking it. I also smoked English blends and a VaPer back then, whereas these days I smoke aromatics lit with a hemp wick indoors and a Linse butane outside. Go figure; Tastes change.....

Beattie
  • Options
    SimpleSimple Newcomer
    @motie2 I found a bunch of those lighters on eBay. Including one for 5,000. Wow. I believe the first search result was $50 or so. Working with box and papers. Looked nice.

Years back when I smoked cigarettes I loved my zippo and the fluid smell that went with it. Now (not to be snobby but I'm going to) I don't think I would like the addition of the fluid smell as I am trying to taste the tobacco.

I guess I'll look for a nice butane.
  • Options
    For the money, and to begin with, you cannot beat a Linse butane pipe lighter. It's no Old Boy or fancy Japanese model, but it gets the job done right; it's like a BIC for pipes. And if you are careful and patient, you can strip off the stupid stripes. (You'll see what I mean.) I've successfully stripped all six that I bought on eBay for less than $20.00 including shipping. Shop around for the best deal..
  • Options
    I found a knock-off, Japanese made Old Boy style pipe lighter a couple of years ago at an antique junk shop for about $20. It as a good lighter until the bottom fell off of it for some reason and now it won't light.
    I have two Zippos and I have replaced the regular fuel insert with butane pipe inserts. They both work great.

But, as @motie2 says, you cannot beat a Linse butane pipe lighter. I buy them at a B&M about 30 miles from me every time they have them in stock.
  • Options
    @simple - I have an old Nimrod and the main problem I have is the fuel leaks or evaporates so fast that you basically have to refill it everyday. In theory, it's a great lighter but you have to figure they don't work as good as advertised because no one is making them anymore.
  • Options
    Topaz75Topaz75 Professor
    I've had great success lighting my pipe using US currency. Tried ones and fives, but they just don't do it for me. The old reliable Hamiltons and Jacksons seems to work best and I find that I can get three or four lights out of the same bill. This is highly desirable as I really don't like to waste money. I do have a few 50s and 100s, but I'm saving them for special occasions.
  • Options
    Now, that's funny.......
  • Options
    I prefer to load my pipe 3/4 full and use my Zippo. Failing that, I fall back on wooden matches.
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    I occasionally use a Nimrod and can tell you the design is great. Not a huge fan of lighter fluid but that's not a deal breaker with this little guy.
  • Options
    I primarily use an unreliable, fairly common, Xikar pipe lighter that lacks a fuel gauge, holds an inadequate supply of butane and constantly requires relighting.  I've yet to come across a reliable butane lighter be it a torch for my cigars or a pipe lighter.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    I've been a big fan of Linse disposable butane pipe lighters, but a colleague (Bless you, kind sir!) recently gifted me a beautiful pewter Corona Old Boy (the one with all the pipe shapes on it.) I had to acquire some premium butane, as my other refillable butane lighter, a jet model unsuitable for pipes -- I use it for camping -- has always been fed from a Ronson can. The Old Boy is damn near perfect: reliable, handsome, and hefty, but it's less than efficient in a breeze. Oh well, I've always coveted one, and without knowing, my benefactor saved me from that particular sin.  

Meanwhile:

Hey, @ghostsofpompeii -- Do you have this model Zippo? Many of the ones you've displayed have been unique. This is the first time I've seen this one:

Screen Shot 2017-07-07 at 10.16.20 AM
    Screen Shot 2017-07-07 at 10.16.45 AM
  • Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    OK, having re-read this thread, it seems most people use butane, matches, or a Zippo.  Listened to JD at CSR last night and he recommended the Old Boys and an IMCO G77, which is no longer made.  I'm currently using a Linse butane, and yes they are pretty good, but one of the three I bought has a flint that won't spark, so I'm tweaked about that.  Anyway, still looking for that "perfect" lighter.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Linse's are piezo-electric, like many costlier butane lighters -- no flint involved. I had one that wouldn't spark either. But for the money, the Linse is a great value: a BIC for pipes. I bought them six or eight at a time on eBay before a gentlemanly and kindly soul gifted me with a Corona Old Boy, a lighter I've coveted. But truth be told, the Linse is better in a breeze.

Yet, and still, my favorite way to light my pipe is with hemp wicking.
  • Options
    Do they still make the matches you can strike on your pants or zipper without rubbing it across the abrasive strip on a match cover? We used to call them Farmer matches, and we'd strike them on out tooth, fingernail, anything rough - and I haven't seen a box of them in years. I thought maybe they were outlawed because people used to carry them loosely in their pocket, and under the right conditions the might rub together and ignite. 
  • Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    @motie2, yes, overall the Linse is a great lighter.  I will be buying more.
    @ghostsofpompeii, I agree these types of matches haven't been around for a long time.  Maybe they still make them in China?
  • Options
    I have an old boy reproduction from Mr. Brog, great lighter.
  • Options

@ghosts, I don't think they make them anymore. The last batch I found was in an Old Country General Store about 10 years ago.

• Options
    @ghostsofpompeii and @Woodsman -- Put <<Strike anywhere wooden matches>> into Google. They're readily available......
  • Options
    I have a Nimrod and like it except the fluid evaporates WAY to quickly I'm refilling it every other day. My Zippo last much longer!
  • Options
    I use a Zippo pipe lighter that I had for about 15 years now.

• Options
    I have another expensive and completely unreliable Xicar that has gotten worse lately, so I've been hording wooden matches from my local B&M and using them.
  • Options
    Good quality, cheap butane lighter for pipes: Linse Lighter (virtually a BIC for pipes)

Best expensive butane lighter for pipes: Corona Old Boy

Excellent alternatives: Wooden matches (after the head burns off) or waxed hemp wicking (still the best way IMHO)

Back in the day, when I didn't know better, I used a Beattie Jet Lighter that used lighter fluid, but as with most such lighters, the petroleum taste gets in the way.
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    @jim102864 I used to love my Xikar lighters but I now have a stash of about 10 I need to send in because they have all failed and won't hold butane anymore.

To everyone that uses a BIC how do you not burn the crap out of yourself?  I have never had luck trying to light a pipe with a BIC and not burn myself (I only smoke outside).
  • Options
    Look into the "BIC for pipes," the Linse lighter, available on eBay. They are terrific, although I obviously like to flash my pewter Corona Old Boy.
    By the way, the stupid striped sticker/wrap peels off, leaving a jet black lighter.

• Options
    @motie2 - I buy my from either Mayan Imports in Metairie or Bayou Tobacco in Baton Rouge. Cost about 2 bucks each and I don't have to deal with either Amazon or eBay.