Home Pipes & Tools
Options

How do you light your Pipe?

Comments

• Options
    I have lit my Cigars with Cedar sticks and it makes a big difference so I think I am going try to light up my pipe with one real soon..... LOL
  • Options
    BIC most of the time. I just got some of that hemp wick stuff, but I have not yet had occasion to try it. 
  • Options
    Zippo shell and No-Name shell both with Z-pipe butane inserts. Wooden matches when I forget to order butane.
  • Options
    piperdavepiperdave Connoisseur
    I will use matches if there isn't much wind or bee line wick from Amazon. If it is too windy I will go with Zippo (I use Ronsonol fluid) or a bic/pipe lighter. I guess it is all personal preference really.
  • Options
    I usually use my zippo pipe lighter.

• Options
    I finally tried the bees-waxed hemp wicking I mentioned above. It's absolutely fantastic. The best way to light a pipe. Much cooler draw than any wooden match, cedar stick, or soft butane lighter. No added taste comes through at all; just your tobacco. I heartily recommend it to your attention. I'll use nothing else.... indoors. Problem is, SWMBO won't let me smoke in the house.... And it's twenty degrees in the garage. <small shy smile>
  • Options
    Dress warm and use a small heater? My porch isn't heated but, I still like the  disconnection and reverie that the pipe brings, so I don't mind the bother.
  • Options

@motie2, maybe you could express to your significant other, that there are still a few women out there who are willing to go the extra mile, and possibly ignite her competitive nature. Maybe tell her that this gals husband was able to win the National slow smoking contest title with her devoted support, and now he gets a lot of free tobacco samples from industry insiders.

You can figure out later how to come up with the tobacco samples, that were supposed to be free, while you are smoking inside by the fire.

demi-lovato-cold
  • Options
    Deadpool57Deadpool57 Apprentice
    edited January 2017
    Matches when I'm not in wind, butane lighter when it's windy, and the pipe lighter when convenient.  Matches taste way different on the first draws than butane.  I find that when it comes to lighting the bowl, properly, using a butane Bic gives more time to light the whole bowl instead of wasting multiple matches.  
  • Options

I've been using matches more so lately, and coming to realize the control you have is really nice.  Doesn't get to hot, might use a handful of matches but matches aren't expensive either. 

• Options
    For a free sample of Twisted Bee Hemp Wicks click here: http://bit.ly/2gifThP 

I got this URL from Bradley at his YouTube STUFFandTHINGS channel
  • Options
    Xikar pipe lighter or Bic when run out butane or forget it at home.
  • Options
    I just started using a zippo lighter and i like it other than i can taste a difference in the first few draws. i really prefer wood matches. I started using a Zippo because its just easier to carry and is a bit nicer than a bic. I will use anything though in a pinch because a bic definitely has its place so i keep one close at all times.
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    90% of the time I prefer a wooden match, and I use the strike anywhere type. I've noticed that the quality of those has gone way down. If by strike anywhere they mean strike on a little piece of sandpaper I have on my workbench, then yes they are strike anywhere, otherwise they are woeful.

I'm curious about the wick. Hemp screams to me 'hippie' which I would want nothing to do with but the idea does sound sort of good. What are your thoughts on it Mr. Motie? In a way it seems like a novelty but in another it could be clever. I imagine you have to keep a candle burning or something. Might be worth trying. Although if I'm going to be keeping a candle burning I could use it to light my 'strike anywhere' matches with.
  • Options
    I personally haven't bought one yet but let's talk about these pipe lighters... Are there different kinds?  Does anyone know of a brand that's not $100!!!??  And what's the difference using a pipe lighter compared to a regular bic?  Not going to lie, I use a bic when it's a little windier and the rest of the time I use cherry wood matches.
  • Options
    The hemp wicking is the best way to light a pipe IMHO. Has nothing to do with the 60's. 
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    Thanks Mr. Motie. I know it doesn't have anything to do with that, I was just joking around. I didn't choose This Pipe Life, it chose me!

I might give it a try. Thanks for the link to the free sample. Do you keep a candle burning, or do you light it each time you need it?

Respectfully,

Phil
  • Options
    @Philip, I use whatever flame is handy, usually a BIC, to light the wick. Then, the wick lights the pipe. Until I tried it I had no idea what a difference it makes.   ;-)
  • Options
    Deadpool: There's a Chinese Old Boy copy called Jifeng..I had one I used for 18 months then I put it aside as I had rebuilt my Beattie Jet and I used it for 4 months, I came across the Jifeng and loaded it with butane and it wouldn't hold the gas anymore. Here's a picture of it with my WF Cherrywood.Wally Frank Cherrywood
  • Options
    Oops, the Jifeng cost about $22 if I remember.
  • Options
    JdalenJdalen Newcomer
    "Strike on Box" large kitchen matches when I'm in the garage and a Zippo pipe lighter when I'm away from home.
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    Very surprised at the number of times Zippo is mentioned.
  • Options
    @Woodsman is it leaking from the bottom? If so you should be able to back out the fill stem and replace the o-ring that should be there, most likely it is dry and cracked, I have had a few lighters leak after long storage, most of them you can fix or have fixed.
    @Phillip Yeah I would think it would make the taste of your tobacco kind of sick for the first few puffs, I know it does with Cigars.  Then again Zippo Lighters have been around and lighting all kinds of things for many many years!  Personally I like Cedar Sticks and/or wood matches but if I use matches I let them burn for a second before I put it to the pipe or cigar.  I also use butane torches for Cigars, never really used them much when lighting my pipe unless it is the only thing handy.

• Options
    Thanks Wolf, I'll give it a try.
  • Options
    Zippo makes pipe lighters and if you order from Zippo on line you can order any of their lighters with the pipe insert that using lighter fluid. One trick I was told is to coat the sides of the insert with petroleum jelly and it will keep the fluid from evaporating as fast.

There is also Z-Pipe that makes refillable butane pipe insert for Zippo type lighters. The only caution with these is they don't always fit into the knock-off brand cases. I have two of the Z-Pipe inserts and they work great.

• Options
    Nice to know @Woodsman !  I went digging through my Dad's boxes and found a nimrod! I'm slowly learning how to repair it.
  • Options
    Nimrods work well, the most of the time they  fail is if some opens them with a snap. just pull them open and they should last a long time. 
  • Options
    A friend of mine told me about these matches, they are made of cactus quills and work great...the best part is that they are only .70 for ten boxes, with 50 matches per box.
    Last month they had free shipping, so for $20, I have a lot of matches.

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/maya-matches-10-pack/1202239
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    Mr. TrailBoss,

How do they hold up? Eco-friendly is usually code for "not as good". 

How can you beat that price!
  • Options
    Normally my go to is a soft flame butane, I will use my trusted IMCO or IM Corona Old Boy. From time to time I have grabbed just a standard bic and when outside I carry a Zippo with pipe insert at times but I really prefer the soft flame butane pipe lighters.