Home Pipes & Tools
Options

How do you light your Pipe?

Comments

• Options
    I use a Zippo with one of those soft flame Thunderbird refillable butane inserts. It's perfect because the flame comes out sideways like a pipe lighter should and the fuel doesn't evaporate like a normal Zippo insert does. 
  • Options
    I'm starting to think that when I use my butane lighter, I get a gurgle more often, and sooner into the bowl than I do when I use matches. Is this my imagination?
  • Options
    @mezzoduomo - I vote for your imagination. LOL
    Seriously - I use both long wooden matches and butane lighters and have never noticed it affecting the tobacco. Maybe you are puffing harder when using the butane and introducing more moisture some how.
  • Options
    @mezzoduomo, I agree with you, all respect to you PappyJoe, but when I hit the aromatics with a butane they instantly start the pipe gurgling.  I will investigate the flame temperature of the butane vs. a match, but I'll bet it is higher and vaporizing the water.  Just my 2 cents.....
  • Options
    I use a Xicar butane pipe lighter. Built like a brick and has an adjustable flame for my deep bowled pipes. Also has a built in tamper. Highly recommended. I tend to smoke outside and as much as I like using matches, they always seem to blow out before I can use them effectively. I probably don't have the right technique, but the butane is just easier for me.
  • Options
    Outside? Whatever will stay lit. In the house? I've been using hemp wicks. Primarily sold for "the other kind of pipes," but Bradley at StuffandThings on YouTube recommended using it for lighting tobacco pipes. It's just beeswax and hemp. (That's hemp, not marihuana)  It's totally flavorless -- really makes a difference. Better than waiting for the head to burn off a wooden match. And a much cooler draw, especially for the charring (sp?) light. Sole drawback is that you've gotta use something to light the wick.  I know.   It's crazy.   I'm using a BIC butane lighter to light a wick to light my pipe.  But it's worth it.   Just put "hemp wick" into Google.   You may still be able to order a free sample at http://bit.ly/2gifThP

BTW, the thicker wicking is better; the sample came with both....

Someone in another discussion recommended "cedar sticks" to light both pipes and cigars. Never had the opportunity to try them, but I noticed they're available on eBay.
  • Options
    Wooden matches!
  • Options
    Fire, duh.
    Other than the obvious a match is the proper way, a Kiribi lighter if it is windy. Matches burn at a lower temp than butane, therefor they are less likely to char the rim of your bowl (and butane *may* lead to a build up of oil derivatives in your pipe). True science.
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    Got around to trying a wick. It was a very nice. It has all the advantages of using a wooden match without burning out. You have a perfect lazy flame that you can get down in the bowl with and can get all around the edges nicely. Plus your fingers aren't in "the hot zone". I've been bit a few times tipping a lighter upside-down lingering too long trying to get it right and the tip of my thumb paid the price. I next need to try the cedar sticks, that I assume will be similar. 

I did not take advantage of the free offer for ethical reasons. I knew I would never buy anything from that site so I thought getting something free from them would be wrong. That's not to say they don't look like a good product for anyone who wants to check them out.

I got two great tips from this site lately, wait make that three, and used them all last night. Smoked a McClelland Oriental blend which I loaded using the spiral technique and lit it with a Bee's wax wick. I don't know if it was because I was thinking about it so much, but it was one of the nicest smokes I've had in a very long time. Thank you to everyone here who has added to my enjoyment. I really mean that.

Respectfully,

Phil
  • Options
    @Philip -- Yessir!  And no one believes me when I tell them how good it is to light one's pipe with a hemp wick..
  • Options
    GordonGordon Newcomer
    One more time: Hemp wicks cannot be equaled for pipe lighting unless you are outside, and then they are impossible to use..... ;-)
  • Options
    TtWmIATATtWmIATA Newcomer

Go ahead and use whatever you are most comfortable with for whatever reason you decide is important. I've used butane pipe lighters of many designs, Flamex Pipelighter2, Old boy styles from Kiribi and a Dr. Brog facsimile, and a Thunderbird insert for Zippos. Naphtha fluid lighters from Presidents, Ronson, Zippo (Pipe and regular inserts) and Nimrod Pipe lighters (Commander and Sportsman).  A standing candle flame to light Hemp wicks and wooden splints (cedar and hardwood), as well as wooden matches.

Of the lighters, I prefer a pipe lighter design over a Bic or standard Zippo style since pipe lighters give you much better control over the flame.  Matches, wood splints and hemp wicks have their place if you're inside and at a more or less dedicated smoking area, but I prefer wood splints over hemp as I can detect a smell from the burning hemp/beeswax that I don't care for.  Nonetheless, more often than not I reach for an old Nimrod Commander whether inside or outside.  The current Zippo lighter fluid has much less odor than the lighter fluids of the past, and when I draw the flame gently to the tobacco I don't notice any taste imparted by the burning fluid vapor.  With whatever tobacco ignition systems employed, I believe it is most important to light the tobacco with the least heat and exposure to flame as possible.     

• Options
    OK, here's a new product that I've never seen before: "The Original Hemp Wick Lighter," an outboard addition for a BIC.

• Options
    The cheapest butane pipe lighter I've seen is the Linse. I got six of 'em for $15.00 on eBay.
  • Options

Sometimes when I am not in the mood to use a standard butane lighter, I will switch to a raccoon baculum dipped in olive oil. The olive oil coated baculum will give a unique flavor, especially when used to light Latakia blends. Here is a pic of one of my personal baculums that has been properly broken in.

RaccoonBaculum
  • Options
    @xDutchx -- C'mon, are you serious?
  • Options
    @motie2, some scholars have also found them useful as toothpicks. They appeal to the individual with an anachronistic nature, which harkens back to a time, when it was believed that no part of an animal should be wasted.
  • Options
    I use both wood matches and my trusty old Zippo lighter.  I tend to favor my lighter though.
  • Options
    @xDutchx are you going to tell these City folks what that really is and not a fancy name?  LOL  I have three of them from when I trap Raccoons but I have never used any of them, mostly just a conversation piece because they used to be used as Toothpicks.  Never heard about soaking them in olive oil and using them to light a pipe or anything else for that matter.   Just out of curiously, HOW do you prep one to use as a lighting Dick I mean Stick?
  • Options
    @Wolf41035, most scholars prep them, by soaking them in buttermilk for 72 hours. Same as you would a set of rattling antlers. It gives the bone the same "ring," it had when it was still "attached."
  • Options
    @xDutchx OK so soak it in buttermilk and then what?  You said olive oil when your lighting it?  How?  Soak or just dip it in? 
  • Options
    LOL you guys are something......
  • Options

@Wolf41035, when you think buttermilk, think "conditioner." When you think olive oil, think "accelerant."

The olive oil on the tip of the baculum, works the same way it does at the grill. Only difference is, I am a lot more liberal with the olive oil at the grill. It is the cat's meow for charring steak, chicken, and pork chops on the grill, and your pipes charring light off the end of the pre conditioned baculum.

There is no sense in getting carried away with the olive oil, and charring a rim. Like Brylcreem, a little dab will do ya!

• Options
    @xDutchx I have had these for a year drying out, and one for two years, are they OK or should I get a fresh one?  If they are OK I will soak all of them and maybe give two away to who ever may want one....any takers? 
  • Options

@Wolf41035, unfortunately once they have dried up, the buttermilk will not have the same conditioning effect. Just like pasta, once noodles dry up, there's not much you can do to bring em' back.

It's probably best to get your light charged up, and head back to the woods one night for a few fresh ones.

• Options
    Don't remember if these were mentioned before and I'm too lazy this morning to go through the previous 3 pages.
    These are good inexpensive pipe lighters with a directional nozzle.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe -- I'v extolled Linse lighters in a few discussions here. They are the best! Like a BIC for pipes. Get 'em six at a time from eBay.
  • Options
    SimpleSimple Newcomer
    I only light my tobacco with the unprocessed branches of the exotic pula pula tree indigenous to south east Asia and a magnifying glass.

I use a bic. ;)
  • Options

I am currently using a Bic lighter. I used a Zippo for a loooong time then at some point put it down when it was empty and for convenience sake just started picking up the Bic type anything for years now. The more I see the word Zippo the more I feel like fillin' 'er up again and going for it.

Years ago when I  seemed to take a hiatus from pipes for some unknown reason I loved my Zippo. To go along with my Lucky Strikes. After seeing a special on the History of Tobacco on the History channel and saw how cigarettes are made it turned my stomach and I tossed a half pack of Luckys on the spot and went back to my pipes, many of which my dad turned over to me when he quit smoking pipes and cigars. haven' had a cigarette now for about 13-14 yrs. WOW I got so many cool pipes from the old days, many of which I bought him in the late 60's early 70's. I am still smoking a few of the Danish freehands I bought him. Knute, Ben Wade and such. A tobacconist told me I should have those pipes under glass  as they're very old and beautiful he said. But, it's DAD, ya know? He's 85 and still kickin pretty well and his pipes heave a story that I choose to keep alive. Along with very fond memories.