Home Tobacco Talk
Options

What happened at P&C?!?

I know there was a mass email about the upgrade of their system a few days ago, my order from a week ago still hasn't shipped (or maybe it has and I haven't been notified, this "upgrade" seems a bit of a failure so far) but in addition to wondering where my orders are and if they have even shipped I also noticed their out of stocks are through the roof right now!  A large number of the blends I like or planned to order in the future by saving for later are now listed as backordered.  Nightcap as well as a few other Dunhill's are out of stock, several of the C&D tins are out of stock as well.  I don't do a ton of expensive tins (I prefer bulk and a big jar!) but when I was browsing the tinned tobacco page last night the amount of backorder/notify logos was shocking.  I wonder if they "upgraded" their store ordering software as well and it has similar bugs to the customer ordering software? 

Comments

• Options

In regard to the backordered and out-of-stock tobaccos, I've noticed the exact same thing.  I had a wish list set up for my next order, which included bulk Nightcap, and it was a shock to see so many of the bulk and tinned tobaccos on my list are now either backordered or out-of-stock. This type of thing is common with any 'upgrade' especially with purchasing and inventory control software.  Let's hope they smooth out the wrinkles soon!! 

By the way, the MATCH Nightcap will work just fine in a pinch.  It's actually pretty good.

• Options
    I'm sure a lot of people are hoarding the Dunhill blends now that they've announced they would no longer be offering their blends in 12 to 16 months. While other pipe smokers are still stocking up their cellars due to the impending FDA Deeming debacle. So I guess there are a lot of factors in play right now causing delayed shipments. I had a P&C  that was way past my expected delivery date and they eventually sent me an email explaining the situation as well as a $20.00 coupon for the inconvenience.   
  • Options
    Me, too in re: P&C.   Nice email explaining the delay, but no tobacco.
  • Options
    I'm a loyal Smokingpipes.com customer. They are the best.
  • Options
    piperdavepiperdave Connoisseur
    So far I placed a P&C order on IPSD and have received emails about it being delayed due to the system software upgrade. Also their staff is working round the clock to get orders shipped ASAP. I have directly emailed and not received any response other than the default pre-typed email with apology. I am not in a huge hurry, I just want my order to be correct, P&C has done good by me in the past so I can understand and wait till everything comes through. Honestly they are the only online retailer that has taken my Velvet coupons from STG. I'm a loyal Pipesandcigars.com customer IMHO they are the best. :)
  • Options
    I just wandered over and looked at the Dunhill page. There are three - count 'em, three (Nightcap, 965, EMP) - out of seventeen Dunhill blends not in stock. These are super popular blends, even though I don't smoke any of 'em.Not too surprising,since we have been told Dunhill won't be available in the States in the not so distant future.
  • Options
    SLCarricoSLCarrico Apprentice
    My bad. I didn't mean to sound like P&C is pathetic. The few times I've ordered from them it was good service. I've just found a home at Smokingpipes. I give them priority for my business. Definitely give P&C a chance to work out bug on new software, we all know how frustrating computers can be. I'm sure they'll make it up to you. And I agree with @piperdave, as long as they get the order right, that's most important.
  • Options
    I've been getting the same bulletins, I can commiserate with the insanity of a new system with all the unpleasant surprises that it entails. I too have also had great service from them in the past. Pipe smokers are usually a patient group and I'm sure they'll get it straight soon.
  • Options
    SERENTILSERENTIL Newcomer
    Just an FYI for everyone....  This month at P&C, there is a Buy 3, Get 1 Free for Dunhill tins.  Promo code = MAR17.  Enjoy!!  :)
  • Options
    @serentil, I just took advantage of that. 7 tins of MM1938, 4 of Ye Olde Signe, 1 of Standard (already had a good stock) and 2 of SG Bothy Flake (purchased to get me the free shipping once the 3 free tins was applied) en route.

• Options
    @judandhispipe, love it!!!   I'm prepping an order today! 
  • Options
    dbh1950dbh1950 Newcomer
    As to P&C, just received my order today, Wed. which was placed on the 22nd. Yes, I also received an email regarding their delays and apology. In my book, no apologies needed. Since ordering from P&C I have received prompt and complaint free service. A week to turn around an order, that is fast, compared to many things I order, such as books, and specialty items.
    The order I received today, a Baraccini  Ole Shenandoah  Copper Devil Anse #2, and a complimentary tin of Drew Estate Gatsby Luxury Flake. A super value. P&C will always have my business, wish them well on their efforts to serve the pipe smoking community. 
  • Options
    2b1ask12b1ask1 Newcomer
    I got the same email from Cigars International (same company) this morning in ref to a cigar order.  I hope they get the wrinkles out soon.  There's too many other places to buy from instead of being aggrivated all of the time.  
  • Options

Well, it is just going to come down to personal preference really and just how patient you are.  P&C is an awesome company and has always done right by me.  They're trying to stay competitive by upgrading their systems and there is nothing wrong with that.  It should be expected that there will be some gremlins in the system that need to be flushed out.  I will remain a P&C Faithful despite the current issue(s).

• Options
    Topaz75Topaz75 Professor
    The lesson to be learned here is that if you're like me and get all of your tobacco from one source, it's best not to wait until the last minute to place an order. If you have a sufficient supply on hand, you can relax and smoke your way through any unexpected delays in service.
  • Options
  • Options
    I'm surprised that P&C would choose one of their busiest times of the year to do a major system overhaul. I made orders from them, smokingpipes.com, and tobaccopipes.com all on IPSD, and I'm still waiting on the P&C order. 

I'm not angry. I knew people were having issues when I made my order. I took the risk because I figured I'd try out War Horse Green and get free shipping. Nothing I ordered is needed right now, so I'm patient. Still, if I had ordered a pipe, I'd be pretty annoyed right now. 
  • Options
    Finally got my order today so packages are going out the door. Not just as quickly as usual.
  • Options
    I received an email today saying my February 24, 2017 order has shipped.  Not bad at all.

• Options
    CerozeroCerozero Newcomer
    Received a partial order, however no answer on the balance. My only issue is no communication and their
    line was busy today.  Will still be my go to though, always provided good service in the past.
  • Options
    Well, that's odd. My post deleted all my text, but still went through anyway.

For those who get busy signals when they call P&C, try using a number not associated with the order. I've heard people have been getting busy signals with their phones connected to an order, but get through using a different number.
  • Options
    I too have had recent issues with P&C. I placed an order last month, just prior to their software overhaul. I had been unable to sign into my account through my iPad to check on the order. (However, I could sign in with my iPhone through the mobile site, which I don't like as much as the desktop site) I emailed them about my iPad sign in problem and a few days later I received a response that the system upgrade on 2/11 was working out kinks. My order arrived last week, sans 2 back ordered tobaccos. One of the back ordered tobaccos arrived yesterday and the other today. I hate to see them having problems because of a software issue. I've been a loyal customer for years and will continue to be. I'm confident they will have it resolved soon. Their customer service has been superb over the years and, based on my most recent correspondence with them, am confident it will continue.
  • Options
    wimpfhwimpfh Newcomer
    Also ordered on IPSD. Still waiting for my order. I didn't know about the software upgrade. None of the apology emails I got mentioned it but now that I know, it explains everything. It does seem unwise to do an upgrade like that right before a major sale day.
  • Options
    paulwansingpaulwansing Enthusiast
    Well, yesterday my order arrived, and I was excited.  A new Savinelli pipe, some bulk nightcap, and eight tins of tobacco to celebrate IPSD!  I got the pipe, I got the nightcap, and one (count it, ONE) tin of tobacco out of the eight I ordered.  Now when I spoke to customer service a few days ago I was told the order was complete-as in no back order.  My confirmation email said the order was complete with no back order. Now today on the "my account" page it shows seven tins on back order even though they charged me the full amount.  So, back to sending an email to them and waiting for a reply, maybe I will get a refund and maybe I will get my tins but either way whoever at CI planned and executed this systems upgrade right at IPSD did not think this one through.  P&C has shown me amazing customer service in the past and until now has never failed to correct an error, they have not completely lost me as a customer but I will say smokingpipes.com will be getting my business for the next few months while P&C gets this straightened out.
  • Options
    TtWmIATATtWmIATA Newcomer
    I'm still waiting for the shipment of an order placed 2/19, so it seems P&C is not processing the oldest orders first.  Lucky for those that ordered later than me, I suppose.  I shall see what is backordered when my order arrives, since I see multiple items that were "in stock" when I ordered are now indicated as backordered or worse, out of stock.         
  • Options
    GordonGordon Newcomer
    Hi, I used to be @motie2. The P&C screw-up seems to be contagious as I was locked out of This Pipe Life and finally had to re-register, losing all my badges, bookmarks, etc.

Frustrating. And still no P&C order.
  • Options
    Almost all my tobacco orders since the "Deeming" have been for the Cellar so I'm patient.
  • Options
    Ordered Monday of this week and received Thursday of this week. I had no disruption of service. I think it could depend on the order? I have however noticed that many blends are out of stock and have been for some time. Supply and demand issues are the best sales people I suppose? Contact with P&C via email is always quick and easy, at least go me.
  • Options
    Hi, I'm back as @motie2 after a temporary re-registration as @Gordon necessitated by my being locked out of the site. I guess whatever goes around comes around because along with my old handle --  @motie2 -- I received my Feb 24th order from P&C today. A can each of MoltoDolce, Maple Street, and Barbados Plantation. I'm one happy guy.