Home General
Options

Rankings

Comments

• Options
    I've been using "preview" more for anything long. @dstrib, I expect to sit at apprentice for a while, since I don't start many new threads. Such is life.
    vintage-pipe-smoking-gentleman-illustration-33114501
  • Options
    • Rankings:
      Newcomer - 12 points
      Apprentice - 32 Points
      Enthusiast - 62 Points
      Professor - 102 Points
      Connoisseur - 152 Points
      Master- 212 points 

• Badges

• badges 2
    • This should be on top some where!
  • Options
    For the new people wondering how to move your ranking up.   Now that I look back on this, it is no big deal and kind of funny, what is the point of moving up?  I like talking to people and bringing up new topics, could care less about these rankings now that I have been here a while. 
  • Options
    This conversation has been dormant for a while.
  • Options
    @PayyJoe, yes it sure has, thought maybe the newbies would like to see it so they know how to move up in rank.   I let it go dormant because I didn't care but I thought about it and thought the new guys should see it and see if they have any interest.  
  • Options
    Thought I would bump this topic up again in case any newcomers were interested in seeing how the titles are awarded.
  • Options
    I was wondering about that.
  • Options
    Be interesting to see if revisions take place.
  • Options
    @judandhispipe - Revisions? What would you propose?

• Options
    @pappyjoe, I've always felt there was overemphasis on starting discussions, and not enough emphasis on contributing to discussions. Both are necessary for a healthy forum, but the badges stop at 500 comments. I've got a lot more than that, and I am sure that there are other active members that do, as well. I'm not convinced of the value of ranks and so on to begin with,but if you are going to have them, set them up so that they reflect the different ways folks contribute to a healthy forum.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @judandhispipe -- I second your proposal.
  • Options
    @judandhispipe @motie2 - I agree. On other forums "rankings" as such was in place to determine who were active participants and had been around for a long time. This is evident when you check other forums and on the left side of the screen you see a box with information about the poster: User name, title (moderator, new member, member, etc), post count, first name, favorite pipe, etc.) You can easily glance at that and tell if the post was made by someone who had participated for a long time or was some newbie blowing smoke.

That is missing on here and all we have to go by is the titles such as Professor and Connoisseur. (None of use will ever be around longer enough to make Master by the way.)

I have mentioned this in the past, but the rankings method on here initially led to some people starting discussions just to get their count up. It was a target to hit. (Music to Smoke Your Pipe To, for example. LOL)

None of this is meant as criticism of This Pipe Life. I love this forum. I find it a refreshing change of pace from two other pipe smoking forums I belong to. 

I do agree the rankings need to be tweaked.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @PappyJoe -- As always, you are the voice of reason here. I agree with your comments.
  • Options
    @motie2 - voice of reason? Isn't that a frightening thought...
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    No, Sir!     ME being the voice of reason is the frightening thought.
  • Options
    Topaz75Topaz75 Professor
    I'm not so sure that there's anything terribly wrong with the current system. It was a bit confusing at first, but Charlene did a lot to clear things up and respond to our questions and concerns.

For example, folks like PappyJoe, judandhispipe, motie2, and Woodsman have all risin the ranks to reach the levels of either Professor or Connoisseur. One would be hard pressed to argue that these guys have not been among the top contributors to this forum.

• Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    Personally I was a little saddened when it moved me from apprentice to enthusiast, I feel apprentice fits me. I will admit I'm probably closer to the enthusiast in reality, I just like the fact it sort of implies I'm here to learn, which I am. I haven't given it too much thought but I wish there was a way to stay at the enthusiast level. I suppose when I get to 100 points I will abandon my account and reemerge as Philip2 or something. Too bad it wasn't possible to give my "points" away. I like coming and reading what everyone writes, plus you know what people say about Professors that get tenure? 
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @Philip -- Great attitude!!! Like you, I'm here to learn...... and to share with others what's been learned. 

Yes, it's obvious that TPL places a greater value on starting discussions than on contributing to them.  I earned "Professor" by exercising in type what my father called my big mouth. (I was a challenging child). But it takes the creative types, like @ghostsofpompeii and @PappyJoe, to open up new and engaging discussions. I don't have it in me.  I'm happy to comment and remain "Professor." (It pairs nicely with my real life doctorate. <humble brag> ) I promise that I'll try to avoid the "Stuffy" prefix that often accosts tenured Professors.
  • Options
    We'll see what happens - I am not gonna lose sleep over it!
  • Options
    Looks like Imagonnabe an enthusiast fer a while.  :-P

Only 72 points so far.

Oh well, the title of enthusiast fits.  As new as I am to all of this ( less than 9 or 10 months since getting serious about pipe smoking ), and still in the process of building up my stable and cellar, I reckon that the title of Professor is a bit lofty.  But then again, maybe sumpin like...

Adjunct Professor?    :D
  • Options
    And all of a sudden I have been DEMOTED from Connoisseur to Enthusiast? What's going on? I had 154 points...
  • Options
    I contributed and earned the badges and points to be a connoisseur. Now I lose over half of them? If they are going to reboot the badges and rankings do it for all.  
  • Options
    randellirandelli Enthusiast
    Badges?

We don't need no stinkin' badges!
  • Options
    daveinlaxdaveinlax Connoisseur
    We don't need no stinkin' badges!
    agreed!
    :o 
    I contributed and earned the badges and points to be a connoisseur. Now I lose over half of them?
    suck it up snowflake!
  • Options
    @PappyJoe The developers are working to fix your ranking level. Patience, Kemo Sabe, patience.
  • Options
    @NicoleSTGLaneLtd
    I am patient. 
    You guys forgot to ad a sarcasm button.
  • Options
    Wow Apprentice? Really?  I was the one that mentioned these changes and I get knocked back to a newbie......WOW!  LMAO  B) 
    It would be nice to see the new rankings and points system, you going to post them soon @NicoleSTGLaneLtd or do we just guess them and sit here with our ranks going backwards?  

Last time I ask for changes on the site....  Does look better though!  

Also Nicole, what about those you listed on the winners page, I am sure it was not meant that we won because I have not gotten a request for my address or anything in the mail.  Also didn't see any pop up saying we are entered, are all the giveaways gone now?
  • Options
    @Wolf41035
    Careful! You may get called a snowflake.
  • Options
    I like the improvements.. I can live with the bugs for now!  >:)