Home General
Options

Any Coffee Connoisseurs Here?

Comments

• Options
    I’m at work, and have lowered myself to drinking Folger’s 100% Columbian.  Being that it is free and all you can drink, it taste’s better that way😬.  I didn’t feel like sharing my Ethiopian “Wush Wush” coffee, a Christmas gift from my nephew, with the jamoke’s I work with.  I went to the Revel Coffee Website to maybe order some more….ahh….$33.00 for 12 oz. of roasted beans😳.  I must rate pretty high with my favorite nephew🙂
  • Options
    mhajecmhajec Enthusiast
    My wife got me a flair espresso maker for my birthday. I've been using it for a few months now and wanted to know if anyone else has a manual espresso maker.
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    I'm a coffee snob, does that count?
  • Options
    mhajecmhajec Enthusiast
    I'm not much of a snob but apparently I am picky. Manually grind (only) my bean, I only do pour over, french press, manual espresso, and turkish in a copper cezve heated over coals in my fire pit. I own 4 manual grinders one for each grind size and usually only buy coffee that has been air roasted (personal preference). I haven't roasted my own bean yet but it may be something I might try to do in the up coming year.
  • Options
    @mhajec
    I have a Wacaco Nanopresso.  It turns out a good espresso with my home roasted (light), hand ground, Yirgacheffe beans.
  • Options
    mhajecmhajec Enthusiast
    @RockyMountainBriar

I thought about getting one of those for travel. Maybe I will revisit the idea now that I have met someone who owns one. The flair is supposed to be portable, it does have a smaller footprint but portable is a stretch.
  • Options
    @mhajec
    I have the “Barrista” kit for the Nanopresso too.  It has the ability to make double shots too.  Ground coffee can be stored in the porta filters too…maybe not as good as fresh ground, but handy.  I have the little dual wall thermos/tea steeper that holds the correct amount of water for a double shot.  The only real p.i.t.a. Is cleanup, though really no worse than a home espresso machine.  I would like to get the adapter for the “Nepresso” cups, just because, even though I don’t use them.  They could be handy when camping.
  • Options
    mhajecmhajec Enthusiast
    @RockyMountainBriar

I decided I am going to get the nanopresso. I just need to decide the color and whether I want to get all the accessories now or wait until I've gotten to use it a few times. Any suggestions on grind size? I know grinders vary in their abilities. If it helps, I own a Comandante C40, a 1Zpresso JX Pro, and a couple of generic ceramic burr grinders.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    @mhajec
    I just use a ceramic hand grinder with a “large” espresso grind.  The same grind that works in my Capresso Espresso machine.
  • Options
    Would you consider a Connoisseur someone who goes to Manards and buys the K-Cups that are $3.99 a box?
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
  • Options
    I go to Maxwell's House everyone morning for coffee, so I'm with ya' there! LOL

• Options
    @Montecristo got to love a good eclectic coffee mug. I'd call myself a coffee snob but that's not really accurate. If it's coffee i'll drink it. However, I grind freshly roasted beans from boutique roasters when I can afford it and have the time to do it justice with appropriate grinding and brewing. For any member of TPL who hasn't gone to a nice cafe and had a "pour over" of a specialty roasted coffee I encourage you to do so. All of the nuance that you likely appreciate in pipe tobacco can be found in coffee. But then again, never be to good for folger's.
  • Options
    I'm no Connoisseur, as a matter of fact I had to look up how to spell Connoisseur. Any convenience store brew that is hot, black and cheep, works for me.
  • Options
    @Whoispra

We are in total sync. Thanks for the response. I went from Mr. Coffee, to Melitta, to Coffee press, to macinetta. Now I brew my “good stuff” in a phin, a Thai coffee rig. Ever heard of/tried one?
  • Options
    @Montecristo I have not but i get pumped over coffee gear. I'll have to google it. I don't need a siphon brewer but the glassware and the open flames and the whole aesthetic makes me want one. I'm more likely to buy an Aeropress or an Orea if I were in the mood to hemorrhage money on coffee gear. Though neither are super expensive.
  • Options
    @Whoispra
    WOW, more likeness’s.  I too have lots of different brewer types, including a siphon, but not a pour over…..yet.  I have also roasted several pounds of beans using the cheap aluminum WhirlyPop and a cast iron heat diffuser (I want a stainless WhirlyPop with the metal gears).  I have cranked it by hand, but I have since made a motor drive…well two actually, with a third, improved design, in the build process. It surprised me how easy it was to roast beans and how well it turned out.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar beginning to think we're the same person. I did draw the line at roasting. Coffee is another rabbit hole you can go down and I love the nuances of brewing and how bean processing and roasting contribute to flavor but I will likely never start roasting. I am good friends with a local roaster in my part of NC so i guess it's possible. Pour over is an easy but nuanced way to brew. Produces a good clean cup. I will say though that sometimes I like the richness of french press even at the expense of all that sediment.
  • Options
    @Whoispra
    Ahh, french press… go to youtube and look for James Hoffmann’s method of french press brewing….if you haven’t already.  Go to James’ site, not some other jamoke riding his shirttails. 
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar James is a treasure. I've watched most of his videos at least had. I use his pour over methodology. 
  • Options
    @Whoispra

I use a cheap metal phin from Amazon. You can get one for around ten bucks. It is my preferred method when I've got good beans and am not in a hurry.
  • Options
    Like @pappyjoe, I frequent local antique stores, locally and especially when I (infrequently) travel. Here is an antique coffee grinder . It works real well, but won't produce a really fine grind, as for pour over. It;'s excellent for French press and perc.

• Options
    Wow. That’s a statement piece for sure. Needless to say you grind coffee with that for the experience not for speed
  • Options
    I was. I started drinking coffee before I started kindergarten! About 15 years ago I was thinking of opening a coffee shop focused around micro brews. That's when I started roasting coffee and trying various single orgin coffee beans from around the world. Health problems axed the shop but not the love of roasting fine single origin coffee. Now that we've gotten older I roast a good quality Columbian and we use an SCA tested and approved coffee maker. Not the best cup of coffee but consistently delicious! 
  • Options
    If it tastes good drink it! Shame about the shop. I got to work in coffee but before all the specialty single origin stuff got off the ground in a big way. I think most people don't actually like coffee they just want coffee to be near a cup full of milk product and sugar but that may be a symptom of delicious coffee not being largely available. Or just modern day vogue to get a fru fru latte over a cup of black coffee.
  • Options
    Ethiopians (who make the best coffee in my opinion outside of Turks), use a hammer. I, on the other hand, grind my beans at Maxwell's House...he does a great job. 
  • Options
    Like your coffee over-roasted?   Starbucks!

• Options
    @Montecristo I don't think there has ever been a more burnt tasting cup of coffee than that of starbucks. Overpriced as all hell and tastes bad to boot.