Home Pipes & Tools
Options

What's your pocketknife of choice.

124»

Comments

• Options
    @KA9FFJ
    A co-worker has a similar TSA experience, however he remembered before he tried to check in.  He opted to drop his knife in one of the many "Travel Brochure" pockets that were mounted on the wall around the airport.  He returned days later and retrieved it as well safe and sound.
    I love my daily carry knife enough that if is was a choice between surrendering it or not flying, I would not fly.
    My knife that I have carried daily for over 20 years is a Benchmade Elishewitz Sentinel.  The last time I traveled by air I was able to carry it on the plane (it had a 3 7/8" blade..it has been sharpened so much now that it is only about 3 3/4" long though).  Last year, Montana changed the carry law and it is now legal to carry a blade of any length concealed.  This year they also changed the "automatic" knife law.  Previously a switchblade had to be under 1 1/2" blade length, now switchblades/automatics are legal as well.  I have waited for this to happen for 30 years, now that is has, I have tried to carry one of my automatics (I have three) but they are more awkward than my Sentinel.  I can flick the Sentinel open with one hand quicker than I can operate any of the automatics.  The Benchmade Striker automatic is a nice knife of similar size, but the pocket-clip is on the opposite end compared to the Sentinel, 20 years of "muscle memory" is tough to overcome.  
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ The same thing happened to me back in the early 2000's where I was flying out of Chicago Ohare almost every week.
    In my case I remembered just before the security line and went down to departures, walked out side and saw a utility box in the side of the wall where there was a hose spigot, tucked it in there and closed the door; happily it was still there when I returned at the end of the week.
    I have wondered over the years why no one has started a forwarding / short term storage  business at the US Airports.
  • Options
    I remember when Airport concourses were lined with key lockers. It was the first thing TSA pulled after 9/11. 
  • Options
    I have had these two for years I always have one on me. You can't go wrong with an Opinel or a Laguiole. If there is two things the French do right, it's knives and pipes.
  • Options
    @Zouave
    I have been eyeing the Laguiole pipe knives, but they are pricey and kind of scarce.
  • Options
    mapletopmapletop Master
    edited September 2019
    I own so many and have given my son some of them, but these days I carry either a Leatherman Wingman or a Case Stockman or both daily.
    My better pocket knives I carry depending on where I will be and what I will be doing, I have several that are self protection models with VG-10 Damascus  stainless steel which is a favorite blade steel for me..
    Back when I was in the Navy I always carried a Mariners knife that had a Marlin spike and a sheepsfoot blade made of 440 stainless with a large bale to attach a lanyard to; I think Schrade made them for the Navy.
    I got mine early on when I got sent to the life boat repack shop on 32nd street base for two weeks after we got back from going through the panama canal where we tore a few of them (rafts) off the ship during transit,
    There was one or two of them packed in the ration bags inside each raft and the guys who ran the shop gave me one, wish I still had it.

• Options
    @RockyMountainBriar the Laguiole knives were easier to find before. There was a company called Laguiole Southwest that I used to get them from.  whatever reason I don't see them as much anymore. The opinels make a good knife/tamper if your in a pinch and they are usually under $10-15. I don't mind messing them up a bit. 
  • Options
    @Zouave
    I have been eyeing an Opinel slim recently, like I need another knife.   Man I have a bad habit of collecting things.  I don't even know how many knives I have?
  • Options
    Knives are one thing, but just the other day, I realized that I have acquired waaaaaay too many tampers.
  • Options
    @motie2
    Ahh...yah...I have those too....
  • Options
    Too many tampers! Blasphemy!  Is it even possible to have an overstock of tampers?  
  • Options
    Victorinox Swiss Army knife ftw!
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Ok, raise of hands....whom here does NOT carry or have a Victorinox Swiss Army knife.
    I admit, am not raising my hand, I have several. I carry three EDC.
  • Options
    I still have an old victorinox Swiss army knife that my father gave me when I was 16! I can't believe I haven't lost it over the years.