Home Pipes & Tools
Options

What's your pocketknife of choice.

Comments

• Options
    I generally carry a Benchmade Griptillion with a sheepsfoot blade in desert tan and black.

• Options
    Anyone watch NCIS on CBS? Leroy Jethro Gibbs has rules for his team to follow. In Season 3, Episode 5 "Switch" he told Ziva David that there are approximately 50 rules. Rule #9 is "Never go anywhere without a knife," as revealed in a Season 1 episode.  Rule #9 is sometimes quoted as "Never leave home without a knife" or "Always carry a knife."

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 10.0px 0.0px; text-align: justify; font: 13.0px 'Lucida Grande'; color: #151515}
    span.s1 {color: #003ccc}
  • Options
    Daihimah,
    I have that same ZT knife. I'm an electrician. It will strip large wire, cut anything I need and skin a deer. I also carry a 3 blade Old Timer made in USA. They are now made in China after a brief time being made in Ireland.
  • Options
    I bought a case folding hunter, carbon steel blades when I was 18 for 8$ carried it until about 5 yrs ago and bought a cold steel folding hunter, carbon steel blades. I dressed many deer, hogs, cows with both. I worked for 6 yrs in a slaughterhouse, and you can shave with my knives and I don't like stainless.
  • Options
    This is a great question. I'm another one of those guys who has had a knife in his pocket every day since Cub Scouts. Because of my busy work travel schedule this has proven to be quite a challenge. To date I have lost 27 pocket knives and one Pocket Monkey to TSA! Yes, you'd think a guy would learn, but apparently not!  

My go-to knife for the past several years has been the Junglee Z-Knife, which was originally imported by a cutlery company that was started by the owner of Grizzly tools. It's a stout little knife with a firm lock back, which I prefer, and has a razor sharp AUS6 stainless steel blade that is almost maintenance free and the price was reasonable enough that even if I lost one to TSA it wasn't too painful. The problem is Grizzly discontinued this knife, so after buying up a small stash of them from Grizzly, Amazon and eBay the market adjusted the price upward and it became too expensive to lose. Here's that knife on Amazon, but as I said, it's no longer available: http://amzn.to/2gh90Nb

After losing so many I started investigating disposable blade knives, so if I found myself standing the the security line only to realize that my knife was in my pocket all I would have to sacrifice is the blade. I started with the Gerber EAB (Exchange A Blade) which is essentially just a folding utility knife.  It is small, relatively light, always sharp and does have the desired disposable blade, but the down side was it is a liner lock, which I hate, and it takes the removal of a small screw to remove the blade.  After a few weeks with this knife I was back on Amazon looking for another solution. Here's the Gerber EAB knife: http://amzn.to/2ggWu0h

From there I purchased the Gerber Vital, which utilizes actual scalpel blades. The blades go on and come off quickly and toollessly and it is a lock back, but it is a bit large for it's small blade and the orange plastic turns me off. The last straw was when I needed to use the knife to do a little gentle prying and the blade just wouldn't have any of it. Here's the Gerber Vital knife: http://amzn.to/2gHFhOG

Back on Amazon I found the Outdoor Edge Razor-Lite, which is similar to the Gerber Vital, but it uses a larger proprietary blade.  This is the largest of the three knives I've tried but it is one solid knife. It is a lock back, has quick, toolless blade change and best of all it would allow for moderate prying, if needed.  I carried this knife for a couple weeks and as I was showing it off to a broworker who also flies a lot he said "Will the TSA let you on with that even if the blade is removed?" That's when I finally noticed what it looked like when the blade is removed: It looks like a knife! Even I wouldn't allow me on board with a knife like this, so it's not even worth having the conversation with TSA. Here's the Razor-Lite knife: http://amzn.to/2gimihv

So after all this I'm back where I started and am carrying the Z-Knife. On a recent trip to Washington state I dropped by Grizzly's showroom and found that they still had a couple left on their clearance rack, so I purchased the last 8 they had.  They said that their Springfield MO store still has a couple and as I said, they pop-up on eBay from time to time, so I keep an eye out for them there. 

Scott

A quick note to the admin: Though I read the terms of use I'm not clear if my links are allowed, so feel free to remove them, and if the links aren't visible I'm sure you could copy and past the name of the knives above and simply Google them.  
  • Options
    A good friend gave me a HK axis made by benchmark love it!!
  • Options
    I would suspect, from the pictures of the cutlery shown that not one of you live in New York City and more specifically the Borough of Manhattan. The way the ordinance is written a knife...ANY knife...can be viewed as illegal. I've carried all sorts of pocket knives since I was a kid and I live the idiom shared earlier...a knifeless man (or person...) is a lifeless man (person). I feel...undressed...without a blade of some sort.

I also DO NOT want to be in the general population at Rikers...TRUST me on that...

So, while I will endure the snickers and mutterings...I found this little multi-use carabineer. Serves the purposes I have. Perfect "urban dweller" (read Manhattanite) carry. Lots of folks have carabineers hooked to backpacks. Not that I got a lot of trees to fell in Manhattan...

And for the record...I generally carry one or two these with me as well...

Top to bottom--Cass-ette knife (fits nicely in the watch pocket of most jeans), JP-TAC tactical pen and OF COURSE---a GBD pipe tool.

• Options
    I usually say "if I'm wearing pants, I have my knife". I have been a pocket knife guy since I was 10 years old. For maybe the last 30 years it's been the same Victorinox Soldier, Swiss Army. It started its life with red alloy grips but long ago turned silver. It's one of my "favorite things"
  • Options
    A Spyderco saved my life a few years ago .I was fouled up in a boat prop under water. So anytime I am near water I have a spyderco on me . Other days I carry a stockman or trapper of some kind in front pocket and a Chris Reeves , Spyderco, or a Cold Steel voyager in my back pocket

• Options
    IndyJGIndyJG Apprentice
    WIN_20170116_14_38_15_Pro

Currently these are the two knives I tend to carry. Top is a Buck 501 Squire lockback with 420HC steel that I carry when working at my job. Bottom is a Queen Cutlery #41L with D2 steel. I really like the birds eye maple handle scales on this one. I carry this knife whenever I'm not at my job.
  • Options

My nine year old daughter just got her first pocket knife for Christmas. A smaller simple Buck knife.  She wasn't happy with the pink camo, she wanted regular camo no pink.  But that's what Bass Pro had on the shelf, and she wasn't wanting to wait.  I even told her we could go try another store but she was too excited that she was getting one that she was willing to overlook the pink.  #Proud-Dad

• Options

sorry I put a pic but for some reason I have so much trouble posting pictures.

• Options
    By the by, I carry a Spyderco Cricket with the Spyderco (serrated) edge, shown here actual size..

Screen Shot 2017-03-07 at 7.29.03 PM
  • Options
    Sorry guys, but I'm a Sicilian living in Gary, Indiana and we live by a different credo ... "never bring a knife to a gun fight". But I also carry a pocket knife that was gifted to me by my son - a Magnum Stainless. It's a nice little push button folding knife - but was made in Taiwan so I don't know how reliable it will be in a situation when really needed. On more than one occasion the blade didn't immediately release when I pushed the button. The main reason I keep it with me is fear of getting in a car accident and needing it to cut my seatbelt if it becomes jammed. I know it sounds like a stupid reason to carry a knife but I must have seen a movie where someone gets trapped inside a burning car and died horribly because they couldn't get their seat belt off.    
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii -- Your rational is right on target. A knife -- especially a serrated blade -- will cut a seatbelt better than a bullet. Guns are also inefficient when used as rope cutters or box openers.... especially boxes from pipe/tobacco shops, neh?
  • Options
    paulwansingpaulwansing Enthusiast
    I have an old no name pocket knife I have carried since I was a teenager.  It had a golden eagle on each side of the handle and another eagle etched onto the blade.  I now use it to pop the plastic ties off my kids toys at birthday and christmas more than anything else! 
  • Options
    JdalenJdalen Newcomer
    A Benchmade 710 McHenry & Williams design

Benchmade
  • Options
    I had an original Benchmade Mel Pardue that I let someone use (never do that)  that they basically destroyed.  I sent it back to Benchmade and they sent me a brand new one of the updated version, I strongly recommend them... I also have a custom Doug Stice Damascus Rakurai that I have carried in neck knife mode for the last four years.  An amazing tool of beauty... 
  • Options
    @Jdalen I used to have one just like it, its a little on the large side but I loved it.  I found it hunting in the woods one day, took a little cleaning up but got it back in shape and a few years later I lost it.  Hopefully someone else picked it up and got good use out of it. 
  • Options
    JdalenJdalen Newcomer
    @Darmon I'd give it back to you but i'm just too dog-gone fond of it now ;)
  • Options
    That's alright, I wont hold it against you.
  • Options
    Deadpool57Deadpool57 Apprentice
    Definitely a Cold Steel Pocket assist open 6".  Opens fast and I don't have to worry about it getting taken away since spring assisted knives are illegal in MO
  • Options
    I just got in an amazing custom made knife, LEDLYL knives, the handle scales were made from the skin of the rattlesnake that killed my dog.   Turned out beautiful.   You can look them up on facebook if anyone cares too,  Amazing work.  this one is a one off design, he worked with me to get exactly what I wanted.  Its total length is 8in. the blade thickness is 3/16" so a pretty stout blade.  Can't praise LEDLYL (Live Everyday Like Your Last) enough.  
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited February 2018
    Spyderco CS29 Cricket Serrated Edge, for every day carry

Also, sometimes a Baby UUK Neck Knife

Baby UUK Neck Knife NOT ACTUAL SIZE, ACTUALLY SMALLER THAN SHOWN
  • Options
    With dress pants I typically carry a flat Gerber or Smith & Wesson lock  blade. I also inherited a couple of my grandfather's knives. The one I carry most of the time is this very small knife. It's about 2.5 in. long closed, and any identifying markings have been worn off. This mystery knife was one of his favorites.... mine too.
  • Options
    I tend to carry something small.

Image result for switchblade
  • Options
    I carry a Kershaw 1989 Tactical as my EDC.