Home The Pack
Options

Welcome to The Pack!

Comments

• Options
    It's conversations like this which restores my humor after dealing with clients who think I can redesign an entire page of a print ad in 5 minutes or less. Oh! Did I mention they think I can do this while reading their minds and determining that what they sent to me in an email is not what they really want?
  • Options
    I know the feeling PappyJoe but mine is with Doctors who have to follow rules set by the hospital that controls them instead of doing what is right for the patients!  I can tell you this, St. E. Hospitals in the Northern Kentucky area are part responsible for people getting on heroin and dying!  They cut everyone that was on any kind of pain pill, they cut them cold turkey without warning and never gave them anything to deal with the pain or being pulled off a controlled medicine.  They did it because a bad few were abusing the meds and/or selling them, not thinking of those like me who needed them or others who had been on them so long they became addicted.  I was strong and dealt with the pain and days I couldn't I drank but a lot of people went to the streets and started buying pills and at a high cost, then heroin came along for a lot less so they went to that!  Families should sue the hospital for making all the doctors stop giving pain meds without giving something else to help! 
    I didn't do drugs but on my bad days which I have a lot of them I drank, but being responsible I only drank when I knew I didn't need to go anywhere and stayed in, but all the drinking helped me become diabetic I am sure, also can't be good for my liver and kidneys but it is a lot better than going and shooting up with heroin!  A single Hospital should not control EVERY doctor in 6 Counties!  I thought that was a monopoly and I thought that was illegal?  Guess not?!

So yeah coming in here, reading these posts and enjoying my Pipe and Cigars helps relax me from the stress, I also have less to drink when I smoke, I drink just enough to go along with what I am smoking. 

• Options
    @Wolf41035 wrote: <<I know the feeling PappyJoe but mine is with Doctors who have to follow rules set by the hospital that controls them instead of doing what is right for the patients!>>

Rather than the hospitals, blame should be directed at the legal profession and the insurance actuaries who took over control of the medical profession some years ago. Lawyers and actuaries get to decide how long you stay in the hospital and what kinds of treatment you can get. 

Excellent reasons to try to avoid doctors and lawyers.    ;-)
  • Options
    @motie2 - my belief is that most laws are written and passed by politicians (who were mostly lawyers) so lawyers can make more money suing people.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe -- Seems to me that I remember Shakespeare having something equally unkind to say about lawyers......   ;-)
  • Options
    Deadpool57Deadpool57 Apprentice
    A smokey hello to all new members!
  • Options
    My best friend (Sadly, long gone.) was a doctor, I was visiting his house and he had gone out on an emergency at a hospital. When he got home he was very angry, he turned to me and said"  Frank, don't ever let a hospital get hold of you, it's a lousy way to die. His prophecy has proven true, if you're going to be hospitalized and you're awake/alert, familiarize yourself in what they're going to do. That way you can spot their errors.
  • Options
    This is Moll from Hot Springs, AR, new back to the pipe after 25 years or more, the wife and kids bought me a lovely Savinelli 320 for Christmas this year with a selection of Lane when it was in sale from CI... I sit in the leather chair I inherited from my pipe smoking grandfather and enjoy a good book, or something from the Good Book, and appreciate the smoke, the comfort, and the meditation... my wife says she can see me physically relax and encourages me to smoke more often...  that's what 30 years of a great marriage and the love of the Lord can do for you my friends!
  • Options
    @Oneofsevens -- Would you be interested in "Towards a Theology of Pipesmoking," a .pdf? I've sent it out to others here. If so, just get me your email address....
  • Options
    Good morning everyone.  I'm John from the central valley of California.  I am very new to pipe smoking.  I bought my first pipe (CAO Meerschaum) about 10 years ago and only smoked it a few times.  However, I just started smoking it again about a week ago and I have really enjoyed it.  Therefore, I am going to dive into this new found obsession with vigor.  I have already bought a couple more pipes, got a bunch of tobacco, and I am irritating the wife.  Good Times!
  • Options
    @jhubb10 - Welcome to the Pack. I would ask if smoking tobacco was still legal in California but some might not recognize it as humor. 
    As for irritating the wife, it depends on if its fun or not. 
  • Options
    PappyJoe Thank you.  It is still legal to smoke in California, but they are working very hard to criminalize tobacco and legalize weed.  I have been ordering my tobacco online to skirt the CA tax.  I try to do everything I can to avoid giving CA anymore of my money.
  • Options
    Hello there --- I've been smoking a pipe on and off for close to 50 years.  I bought this pipe in Austria back in 1966.  Some how it has survived all the years and all the moves.20120106074521
  • Options
  • Options
    Welcome to the group.
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    Mr. Ruark,

Thank you for the photo and welcome to the group. Austria has long been known for many very good pipe makers. Is this Austrian made or did you just purchase it there? It is both unique and beautiful.
  • Options
    I thought you guys might get a kick out of this photo... It's my dog standing guard over my favorite Peterson.008
  • Options
    Phillip:  There are no maker marks on the pipe.  I bought it in a little store on the way from Venice to Salzburg.  My best guess is that it is a cheap briar that a local Gipsy tinker tinkered with. 
  • Options
    SimpleSimple Newcomer
    edited April 2017
    Hello. My name is Tim and I only enjoy the finer things in life so naturally tasting quality tobaccos fits into my connoisseur lifestyle.

I enjoy such fine foods as nuggets of chicken, macaroni et frommage, and spaghetti ala o's.

My hobbies include: driving expensive tiny people transporters and playing "is it pudding or poop?"

After a rough day of excess pleasure I retire to my smoking lounge (patio) and put on my smoking jacket (parka) and enjoy a nice bowl while listening to some of my favorite bands like Sir cries a lot, Monitor for my baby, Two live poo, and Bring me the Desitin.
  • Options
    @simple - Hi Tim. It sounds like you have activities which make you a responsible adult.

Your kind doesn't fit in here. 

(that's a joke, people.}
  • Options
    @simple - a follow-up.

If it looks like old mustard and smells worse than Limburger always err on the side of caution and treat it as if it is Poop.
  • Options
    SimpleSimple Newcomer
    edited April 2017
    @pappyjoe - Fine! I'll go back to the moms.com forums then and ask all my pipe and tobacco related questions there. I'm sure I'll be met with copious amounts of "information". Lol
  • Options
    SimpleSimple Newcomer
    My wife and I are waiting for the demand for alternative biofuels to catch up to our supply.

Between the kids, the dog, and the cat we could get to mars in a week.
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    Always assume it's poop. Now that's some great advice. Half the time you'll be right and the other half can only get better! 

Mr. Ruark, cheap or not, pipes that come with stories are always my favorite. Plus I'd be will to bet there are very few, if any, people with a pipe like that one. I hope you have other stories and pipes like that to share.
  • Options
    Hi folks,
    just joined this forum today.

Started smokin pipes and cigars back in 1982 while in the Navy.

Stuck with cigars over the years and have smoked em pretty much weekly since then.  Although I smoked a pipe pretty regularly for several years, for the last 3 decades I've pretty much only picked up the pipe 5 or 6 times a year.

This all changed back in October of 16.  I was up in the mancave one Sunday evening and realized that the only cigars I had were Cubans.  I like to save those for special occasions, so I picked up my ol Nording Freehand Signature and loaded er up with Borkum Riff Bourbon. 

As was usually the case, by the end of the bowl I was experiencing some tongue bite.  This got me curious so I got online and started looking for ways to prevent it from happening.

Before I knew it, I'd been online for hours and discovered the YTPC (youtubepipecommunity).  Lot's of interesting characters out there but also many well intentioned folks as well as many videos on restoring estate pipes.

Fast forward to today, my pipe stable has gone from the one Nording to over 40 estate pipes, half a dozen cobs and a brand new Luciano rusticated Bulldog I won at the TAPS pipe show in Raleigh NC a week and a half ago.

Initially I was more into restoring and refinishing pipes and now seem to be working on my modest cellar.  It too has grown, up from one pouch of Borkum Riff, in October, to over 30 jars of tobacco and a dozen or more tins.

Along the way my 20 y.o. son, Nick, has become my regulay pipe pal.  He started out with cobs and now has half a dozen briars, all estates that I refurbed and gave him.

Good to find this site, looking forward to getting to know ya'll and learning more about this wonderful passtime.

Dino
  • Options
    Bonanzadriver  -- Welcome! We look forward to your posts.

BTW, there's a lot of reasons for tongue bite -- the tobacco, your pH, the pipe draft, etc. -- but here are some remarks from another folder:

Our own website (TPL) has this to offer on tongue bite: https://thispipelife.com/tpl-article/12/
    Hank at http://pipesmagazine.com has a theory that there are <<a couple of different schools of thought around tongue bite: 1) The school of arrogance says, “You’re simply smoking too fast, slow down and puff at a much lower cadence and you’ll notice everything gets better.” 2) The school of baccy says, “It’s a chemistry thing and you just need to change what you’re smoking.” In this thinking, blends from another manufacturer might just not bother you. 3) The school of wise old pipe smokers says, “You’re not drinking enough whiskey.”
    While I think number 2 is probably the most accurate, I always prefer to first extensively test that the problem isn’t related to number 3. Then I work my way backwards on the list. >>
  • Options
    Thanks @motie2.

I've come to realize that although ph definitely has a hand in it, technique and moisture level were my biggest offenders.

Once I started packing the bowl more loosely and slowed down, my issues went by the wayside.  I still experience a bit of bite now and again, but letting the tobacco dry out has improved both the bite and have enhanced the overall experience.  I'm tasting the different characteristics of the blend, not the burnt tobacco I had been experiencing.
  • Options
    Welcome to the group. Sounds like the forum is growing well.
  • Options
    @bonanzadriver - Welcome to the community. 
  • Options
    Welcome new people, I think you will like it here.  lol