Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Worst blend

Comments

• Options
    I guess my worst blend would be Captain Black Cherry, however mixing it with another blend made it tolerable.That is about it for bad blends.I am always trying new blends but so far CBC Is the one that stands out for me.
  • Options
    I have a hard time with any blend with latakia in it. Last year I tried one of the English Flakes in the Chicago Bowl contest. About 1/3 in the bowl, the tent started to spin. Others liked it, but that blend sent me out of the tent for the rest of the night. 

Actually, I occasionally enjoy Russ's Match Presbyterian. This has only a whisper of latakia in it, per the description. 
  • Options
    My worst was Uhle's Burley.  Tasted like burning rubber tires...
  • Options
    I'm in the Mixture 79 camp. I think it's the only tobacco I've ever thrown away. All other tobacco that doesn't float my boat ends up being smoked as a mixture with something else. I couldn't think of anything that would make Mixture 79 taste any better, other than the garbage can. 
  • Options
    Almost anything cherry. However, I have found doing a 50/50 with dark Cavendish can tone most of the cherries down and tends to make them more palatable. 
    Sidenote:  To me, Lane's Dark Red as a stand-alone is not bad (as far as cherries go)... IMHO...
  • Options
    As bad as Cherry Tobacco is, it can't hold a candle to Grape Tobacco in the awful blends category. Trust me, you don't want to try it.
  • Options
    @rumrum4me It's funny you mention something called Capt. Bob's Blend tasting like Nehi Grape Soda when that's exactly how "Captain Black Grape" taste. And although I don't like their cherry blend I really enjoy the Grape blend for the very reason you seem to dislike it ... that taste of Grape Nehi Soda or grape Jolly Ranchers candy. While many of the cherry blends have the chemical aftertaste of artificial sweetener - the Captain Black Grape mimics the taste of Grape Soda without the chemical aftertaste.  
  • Options
    @thebadgerpiper Another vote against Grape ... I'm beginning to feel bad for the old Captain. Now don't get me wrong, Captain Black Grape isn't a personal favorite or something in my rotation ... but I do find it a nice change-up now and again. Maybe my sights were set so low that the fact that it wasn't the aberration I was expecting and didn't taste like ragweed soaked in kerosene and grape juice I was caught off guard and pleasantly surprised. I've smoked it several times since then half expecting me to change my mind and agree with the masses who find it appalling ... but each smoke have been quite enjoyable. And I'd have to say that the grape flavor lasts the length of the smoke to the bottom of the bowl. Unlike some aromatics that loose their flavor midway through the bowl. So if you hate the taste of grape tobacco - the flavor stays with you throughout the smoke.   

• Options
    @ghostsofpompeii If you enjoy Captain Bob's Blend, then I'm glad C&D produces it. I normally like grape products like grape jelly and grape soda, but Captain Bob's Blend was a no go for me. The aroma reminded me of a cheap grape cigar someone once smoked around me, and I hated that smell, too. There is a fan base out there that likes the grape tobacco, but I'm not part of it. It's the only tobacco I've ever had that left a ghost in a cob.
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    I have some CB Grape I've never tried. Sounds as if I need to try it in an old no-name in case of ghosting... Thanks for the heads up @thebadgerpiper ...
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ Haha, by all means, go for it! As long as I don't have to.
  • Options
    OlePopsOlePops Master
    edited May 2019
    @LostMason - I have a friend who affectionately labeled Cult Blood Red Moon as "Pipe Crack" on YouTube and it has caught on and is being called that across the country. You guys know him it is @Corvettejim
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited May 2019
    Cult Blood Red Moon is rumored to be Lane's bulk TK-6 in a tin.
    Both are made by Lane
    @pwkarch's beloved Lane Limited Dark Red appears to be a cavendish-only version of TK-6
    Of course that's just my opinion; I could be wrong......
  • Options
    OlePopsOlePops Master
    @Winston - Please give The Country Squire's P.S. Blend a try. It is Black Cav., Lat. and VA. Very light on the Latakia. You will be most impressed. They consider it an aromatic.
  • Options
    Cult Blood Red Moon smells like cherry wax candles smell when they burn, and it tastes like I surmise the petroleum based wax cherry candle would taste if you took a bite.  Maybe I need haul it out and try it again.  It has been a few years since I smoked some it was so off-putting to me the last time.
  • Options
    OlePopsOlePops Master
    @motie2 - You are not wrong. Cult Blood Red Moon is Virginia strong. It is also casing strong. Although I do like Virginias The Dark Red is much tamer.
  • Options
    OlePopsOlePops Master
    TK-6 is a Burley Cavendish but the casings are identical.
  • Options
    OlePopsOlePops Master
    Wow! There is an assault on the ole'79 going on here. What is it that you guys don't like about it? Is it the Anisette? The liquorish flavor?
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    I was taught that friends didn't let friends smoke Mixture 79 when there are about eighty bazzilion better alternatives available.
  • Options
    OlePopsOlePops Master
    @motie2 - Ohhhh, Yes, Master, but were you taught...why? Just curious! If it's the Anisette, what was it about the anisette that made Velvet such a rage? That was part of it's initial point of interest. Not so much anymore, but if you can get your hands on the old vintage Velvet you can still pick it out. It isn't a liquorish enema like Mixture 79 is, but reminiscent...
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    I think you've put it in the best possible way:

".... a liquorish enema like Mixture 79 ...."
  • Options
    The worse tobacco that I smoked was Savinelli 140 Anniversary. It is too spicy for me.
  • Options
    @OlePops If Mixture 79 had either an anisette of licorice flavor I'd be alright with it ... I like both flavors and actually have a Sutliff blend with an anisette flavor which is okay. But the dominant flavor I get from Mixture 79 is potpourri or a floral taste. Almost the way you described that grandmother's purse with spilled TABU. And the worse part about it is that it ghosts so badly most estate pipes I've purchased that were heavily ghosted by Mixture 79 refuse to give up the ghost. I've tried salt treatments, coffee ground treatments, and in one case simply filled the bowl with 151 Rum and let it set for a week. I'm almost afraid to light the pipe for fear it will burst into flames from the alcohol absorbed in the briar. So I'm planning on giving it another coffee ground treatment and let it set for a couple of days before hitting it with a match. If that works I have three other pipes in desperate need of a Mixture 79 Exorcism.
  • Options
    I have to admit, all this talk about Mixture 79 has piqued my interest. I enjoy floral blends, though this one sounds like it's a powerhouse.
  • Options
    @thebadgerpiper
    I'm with you on Mixture 79.
    The floral part sounds similar to SG Grousemoor.  I had a few candy bars that I got at World Market that were called "Turkish Delight".  I think they were from England.  The aroma and flavor of Grousemoor is spot-on to the candy bars, and "rose water" is suppose to be one of the flavors in the candy and the tobacco.  I am told they are a like it or hate it kind of thing.
  • Options
    jfreedyjfreedy Master
    I like Mixture 79 but only rarely if that makes sense. Nothing wrong with it, but I have to be in just the right mood to really enjoy it. I have exactly 1oz in a jar, and that will probably last me years.
  • Options
    jfreedyjfreedy Master
    Probably my worst blend so far is C&D's Epiphany. Smoked it twice and both times... bluck!!
  • Options
    @jfreedy ~ Good to know your thoughts on Epiphany. I actually put it on my wish list on one of the tobacco sites. I heard it was a match of Revelation, which I never had so was curious to give it a try. I may move it down the list now.