Home General
Options

Books

Comments

• Options
    I prefer paper, although my NASPC sub is on my iPad. There is just something about being around books and the smell of older books. Eventually I'll have a wrap around book shelf with desk in my house.
  • Options
    After watching the Lifeboat Training Documentary, I'll fully believe anything that they do.
  • Options
    GordonGordon Newcomer
    @LostMason -- In spite of not having read LOTR, you might enjoy these two websites:
    p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Arial}
  • Options
    LostMasonLostMason Apprentice
    Thank you @Gordon , I will check those out. Currently dealing with some
    intense pain. Pulled a muscle in my chest/shoulder and finding it difficult
    to breath let alone concentrate. But I will look into those, never write off
    an author just because they wrote one or two I didn't like.
  • Options

I prefer an actual book to an iPad. I like the feel of a book, the act of turning the pages, and even the smell of the paper. I'm a stickler for owning physical media be it CDs, DVDs, or books as opposed to digital media. I have a love/hate relationship with computers (mostly hate) and have lost so many files and pictures over the years because my computer crashed. I'll forgo the convenience of transferring my complete music library on some portable device - and keep the actual CDs instead. Even though they take-up more space. 

And as for the last book I've just read I just completed a pair from the author William Meikle who has continued the tales of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's second most famous character - Professor George Edward Challenger of "The Lost World". Most people are unaware that Conan Doyle wrote four additional tales featuring the further exploits of Professor Challenger: "The Poison Belt", "The Land Of Mist", "The Disintegration Machine" and "When The World Screamed". I loved them and wished he wrote more.

And just as a variety of authors are penning new Sherlock Holmes tales from supposedly recently discovered manuscripts of Doctor John Watson, William Meikle has resurrected Conan Doyle's other great character and wrote one novel "The Island Of Terror" and a short story collection "The Kew Growths" with 13 new adventures featuring Professor Challenger and William Malone (also from "The Lost World"). Both books are a throwback to the type of action packed pulp fiction that made "The Lost World" such a fun read. A real page-turner. A term I couldn't use if reading from an iPAD.         

• Options
    dbh1950dbh1950 Newcomer
    I have to cast my opinion for the printed media. I have found e-reading more for informational material whereas a book is an intentional commitment of money and a declaration of values. Much like pipe smoking, it is a definite commitment of money regardless at what level one participates, and certainly a declaration of values in that life is more than quantity, but it is also about quality.
  • Options
    @LostMason -- are you still looking for part two of Theology of Pipe Smoking? I'd be happy to send it to you. Get your email address to me.
  • Options
    LostMasonLostMason Apprentice
    @motie2 , I did get them both, Thank you. I'm definatly one for the printed media.
    I've gone so far as printing out material from the web so as to always have it handy.
    Printed out Stephen King's "The Plant" in fact. And bought and printed out "The Green Mile"
    when it was available. I haven't bought a book in a few years though, but have reread
    several of the books I have. I can say that My tastes have developed more yet still
    fall more along the sci/fi genre. I do enjoy the old detectives though and have a
    set of "Sherlock Holmes" movie dvds. And yes I have the ones with Robert Downey
    Jr. Actually think he did a fantastic portrayil of an eccentric complusive egomaniac.
  • Options
    I prefer having an actual book as well, I like the way they look on the shelf and admiring the cover art.
  • Options
    Deadpool57Deadpool57 Apprentice
    I'm definitely a hard cover guy.  I read war biographies mostly.   My favorite is "Raider" by Charles W. Sasser.  I can't seem to keep my mind in a fictional book.  
  • Options
    Hiker007Hiker007 Enthusiast
    I enjoy printed books. I have three rooms filled from floor to ceiling with books. However, most recently I have been reading more ebooks. Especially, since I have started smoking. I smoke outside and it is just easier to grab my iPad. I can check email, surf the web, and read Ebooks all while enjoying my pipe or cigar.
  • Options
    For those interested, I just came across a 70 page .pdf entitled "The Improbable Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, Comprised of Eight Documents" 

A Sherlockiana Primer by Christopher Roden

The Horror of the Many Faces by Tim Lebbon

The Adventure of the Death-Fetch by Darrell Schweitzer 
    The Adventure of the Lost World by Dominic Green 
    Dynamics of a Hanging by Tony Pi

Merridew of Abominable Memory by Chris Roberson 
    The Adventure of the Green Skull by Mark Valentine 
    You See But You Do Not Observe by Robert J. Sawyer 

Yours for the asking; just get your email address to me. 
  • Options
    I've tended to read books exclusively on Kindle apps...on my Mac and iPhone. I'm at a point in my life where I'm downsizing and don't like having to pack boxes of books every time I move. Moreover, I like being able to pick up where I left off among devices. I also read newspapers online. So few physically printed items to read these days.
  • Options
    Books, hardbound books are my preference.  I been collecting books since I was 14 and prefer hardbound copies.  I was given an e-reader a couple of years ago by a friend who was upgrading to a new model.  I used it maybe twice and have yet to read an e-book in its entirety.  I much rather hold the actual book in my hand than the electronic device.  I am very old fashioned for my age and cannot seem to fully embrace technology.  In some instances, the old ways are better.
  • Options
    I have a nook from B&N,but I still buy books also,I guess it's the best of both worlds.
  • Options
    I love walking into a used book shop. That smell of old books is better than incense or potpourri.
  • Options
    I love to have a book in my hand to read, to me, it's a better experience.
  • Options
    I've tried reading on a variety of devices. Feh.
    Give me a book; I even underline stuff and take notes in the margins. (And yes, I know one can do that on some  devices.....)
  • Options
    @motie2 Just don't do it to the library books, it's distracting and Librarians tend toward anger when it's done.
  • Options
    Without a doubt, gotta have a book in hand. To me, that's part of the experience. Also, there are no alerts or other distractions that you will get from an electronic device. 
  • Options
    I’m ebooks (usually Kindle) for pleasure reading. Typically, paper copies for business or reference books. However, the latter is shifting to audiobooks. I find it hard to stay awake reading business books these days. I’m currently listening to Grit on Audible. 
  • Options
    With the.hundreds of books I have storage can be a problem,this was the reason I bought a Nook.As stated above I still buy books.
  • Options
    @buflosab I agree I have a vast amount of books on the Hard Disk and I still prefer the hand held book. Our library however even with large expansion, has very few books in my preferred genre and mainly is now a DVD/Bluray dispersal center. I'd say I average a ratio of 1 print book to 3 PDF volumes.
  • Options

Don't know if this author has been mentioned already, but if you enjoy action/mystery/intrigue, check our David Baldacci. In my humble opinion, he is a great writer and an easy read. But before you grab any of his books (there are several), check out the sequence of his writings since he tends to write in series. Some of his works are stand-alones, most are not...

• Options
    I live in both worlds.  I have quite an extensive theological library in print.  Love being surrounded by my books!  But I also have about a $60,000 digital library via Logos that cost me a fraction of retail print cost.  Hard to argue with that.  And I read my Kindle daily.  Right now I am reading hardcopies of: Farther Than Any Man: The Rise and Fall of Captain James Cook by Martin Dugard, The Paradigm by Jonathan Cahn, and Crucifixion of the Warrior God by Greg Boyd.  And on my Kindle I'm reading:  Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown, and The Bride Collector by Ted Dekker.  I guess I'm pretty eclectic in my tastes.
  • Options
    I love going to the County Library. Reminds me of when I was a kid. Used to go there twice a month back when I was part of a Writer's Workshop. That was a lot of fun - don't know why I ever stopped going.
  • Options
    Jack Finney the man responsible for the novel "Invasion Of The Body Snatchers" also write two excellent time travel books. The first written in 1970 "Time And Again" tells the tale of a Secret Government Project to achieve time travel through methods more akin to self-hypnosis by emerging the subject in the sights and sounds of the period they hope to explore. Placing the subject in a controlled environment, surrounded by period furnishings , clothing, magazines and newspapers, and décor. The subject then places himself in a hypnotic state until he actually achieves time travel. For those familiar with the movie "Somewhere In Time" with Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour - it's a similar method used by Reeve. "Time After Time" is an excellent story loaded with actual photographs taken from the period as well as pencil sketches supposedly penned by the time traveling subjects detailing historical events. Twenty-five years after writing "Time And Again" Finney wrote a sequel to the novel in 1995 "From Time To Time" bringing back the same characters in a new adventure. Something is wrong. There appears to be a glitch in time, and they need to know if it was something they might have done in the first experiment. Certain events have been altered like the safe passage of "The Titanic" and a variety of unexplained altered events. I've read these two book several times and as winter approaches I tend to pull out some of my favorite novels and sit back for a good read. These novels were the first two taken down from the shelf and set on the end table next to where I sit.     
  • Options
    @FatherBriar I don't know if I could pass my Greek and Hebrew classes without Logos. Would you recommend Boyd's work?
  • Options
    Call me old fashioned, but I definitely prefer a good old hard back book.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a pretty voracious reader and will read just about any form of print, but I derive much more satisfaction from the printed word on paper in a real book.

Although my interests are extremely varied, as I look around the bookshelves in my mancave I must admit that the majority of the books in my collection deal with history, leadership and management.