Home General
Options

Books

Comments

• Options
    LostMasonLostMason Apprentice
    I had been reading the Wheel of Time series until it got about 5 or 6 books ahead of me,
    I lost track of characters and then lost interest.I am not a good reader when it comes to
    picking up the story line several years down the road.
  • Options
    @pipeprofessor and @ drac2485, I just finished reading Towards a Theology of Pipe Smoking.
    We need a means to post files like these to share easier.This is a fun informative and
    insightful work.The final chapters get a bit heavy but I think the old boy has a sound
    argument and should be at least considered.Thank You again for pointing me in that
    direction.
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    @lostmason I can understand with the wheel of time series.  If I wasn't just going straight through I could never follow the characters.  I honestly have a hard time anyways and have learned not to care to much as new characters usually die in the same book.
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    @lostmason Your very welcome.  I can't wait to have time to sit and read that as well
  • Options
    @lostmason, I agree, the last chapter is heavy and kind of doesn't really flow with the rest of the book. I am glad you enjoyed it though...we do need to post the files on here somehow, I think many would really enjoy it.
  • Options
    Mabe if we were to tag @NicoleSTGLaneLTD and asked about a file sharing thread
    She could ask the programmers..
  • Options
    mhajecmhajec Enthusiast
    @LostMason that's a good idea, tagging @NicoleSTGLaneLTD may help get her attention
  • Options
    I love physical books, but also enjoy my Kindle. I've recently embarked on the one year reading plan for the set of Harvard Classics (The Five Foot Shelf of Books) the my wife inherited from her grandfather. 
  • Options
    dstribdstrib Apprentice
    I love paper books. Yet I find it amazing I can fit 100s or thousands of books in to one e-reader. The wife picked me up the Kobo Aura H20 over a year ago and I honestly use it almost every day. Things I like about it is the expandablity of an external card, being water proof is a major plus and battery life is amazing with the back light turned down low on about 3% which I find more than enough to read at night without keeping the wife up. Back light is easier on the eyes than the Nook Color I had previously. Wish it could do PDFs better. Also a plus to digital books is I can get out of print books.
  • Options
    If anyone likes reading creepy, old ghost stories, I highly recommend the works of M.R. James. His ghost stories are simply the best I've ever read, with plenty of fussy antiquarians uncovering something dark and evil from the past. Plus, James was a pipe smoker, and a few of his stories feature a pipe smoker as a protagonist.

Recommended stories are: Whistle and I'll come to you my lad, Count Magnus, A Warning to the Curious, and The Treasure of Abbot Thomas.
  • Options
    @mhajec @LostMason I'll pass your idea along to the developers. In the mean time, you guys can upload things to any file sharing site (Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.) and share the links here.

• Options
    @NicoleSTGLaneLtd , Thanks for the response,please understand that
    to some extant we're just jerking your chain.I've been conditioned by
    other forums not to share links that in any way detract from their own.
    The logistics of a file sharing thread would probably be prohibitive,also
    the content would open your server to possible infections or hacking.
  • Options
    I recently read an article about the history of Meerschaum that said there were guys paid to smoke wealthy people's meerschaum pipes in order to age and color them. One example was paid a stipend of 1500 British pounds per year (when that was probably a lot) and all the free tobacco he could smoke. WHAT A JOB!!
  • Options
    @tomatobodhi,I've read that as well with the exception that the "smokers"
    were employed by the Tobacconist .I could do with a job as a Tobacco Reviewer,
    but the reviews would be something like "Yeah ! Buddy ! this ones GREAT" and
    "Oh well they do make that other blend". So you can see why I don't get paid much.
  • Options
    Any one into good detective type books? I recommend the J. P. Beaumont series by J. Jance
  • Options
    jace68jace68 Newcomer
    Wondering if any of you guys have read Killer Angels by Michael Shaara? It may be one the best books I have ever read. It's about the battle of Gettysburg. Won a Pulitzer too. HIs son Jeff also writes historical fiction/fact.
  • Options
    No @jace68 I have not,yet.It sounds interesting.These guys are making
    a killer list for me to look into.May have to get one of those e-readers just to fit all
    the books into the same house.
  • Options
    I use both I have a Kindle FIRE due to eye sight and the ability to enlarge the print but I still like to have the book itself to have on my shelf, I also use audio books because sometimes my eyes hurt even using the FIRE with print enlarged. 
    As far as types of books....all kinds, even cook books and how to books.  LOL
  • Options
    I'm with @piperdave...I really like a hard back, physical book. I do do audio books to sort of supplement my physical book reading, but usually it is of the same book. I do a lot of re-reading. I rotate through three types: New Fiction, Classic, Theology. I often re-read a chapter over and over again when it is of a heady author. Right now I am reading GK Chesterton's "Heretics". It's more like a collection of essays so the re-reading is of chapters. Before that was Fyodor Dostoevsky's "Brothers Karamazov." I really love contemplating the stuff while I'm smoking my pipe, marking up a book, but at this point, after those two books, I'm looking for a reprieve of New Fiction.
  • Options
    I highly recommend "The Tao of Willie" by Willie Nelson. 

Read it and you'll see why.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe, do you know if that comes in Audio book or large print?
  • Options
    I believe it's available through audible.com and amazon
  • Options
    IndyJGIndyJG Apprentice
    I much prefer reading a traditional physical book over e reading. I like holding and owning a physical copy and find it easier on my eyes. Most of my reading is nonfiction: mainly military history and books on silent film as well as some art history. I have a few fiction authors, largely classical literature, that I like and read as well.
  • Options
    Hi @IndyJG , I recently had a copy of Brady's Civil War Journal,
    Photographing the War 1861-65, by Theodore P.Savas given to
    me by my sister.Interesting pictures that didn't quite make into
    our school histories.
  • Options
    I've been re-reading Ross MacDonald's Lew Archer novels. I'd forgotten how good they are.
  • Options
    I like a book in my hand, plus they look good on the shelf. I like mystery, there is a local author here in Cleveland named Les Roberts, he writes the Milan Jackovich series about a local PI in Cleveland who is handed difficult cases, it was a 15 book series , in order to understand and enjoy this series you have to live or be familiar with the area as all of the references and locations are in Cleveland. I also enjoy books about pipe smoking , of course. 
  • Options
    I prefer paper, Mainly Science Fiction. I also do a lot of reading online if I don't have a book handy.
  • Options
    Here's a couple of book suggestions for you guys.
    1. The Finest Hours: The True Story of the U.S. Coast Guard's Most Daring Sea Rescue by Michael J. Tougias and Casey Sherman. This is the book the Disney movie last year was based on.

2. The Medic: Miracle on Hacksaw Ridge - The book the movie is based on. The story of Desmond Doss, a Seventh Day Adventist and Conscientious Objector who won the Congressional Medal of Honor in WWII.

Do yourselves a favor and read the books. Movies leave a lot out.
  • Options
    If you want to enjoy the movie, don't read the book before the movie. A book lets you see so much more in your mind, the movie may wind up infuriating you by all they leave out.
  • Options
    @woodsman - not only that, the movies tend to change basic facts in order to make it "more" exciting or add something that is not there. Spoiler Alert - For example, in The Finest Hours the movie had the "fiancee" of the main character - Bernie Webber - storming into the Coast Guard station demanding the small boat be ordered back. In reality that didn't happen. Webber and his wife had been married for some time when the case happened. She was home, sick in bed, and didn't know anything about the rescue until 3 days after it happened.

Just about every "true-story" movie I have seen has taken what the call "artistic license" with the facts and often ruin the story as a result.

And for the record, I did like the movie for it's entertainment value even though some critics thought the special effects were over the top and unrealistic. Having served in the Coast Guard for 21 years and having read the historical case report of that incident, I would say the special effects didn't even come close to matching what those guys went through.