Home The Lounge
Options

Music

KABUL07KABUL07 Master
edited November 2022 in The Lounge
Hello Pipe and Tobacco Aficionados, hope all is well during this holiday time of the year. Question, can any member share with me, what happened to the "music" section within the "This Pipe Life" formate. Has it moved or is there another way to get to this section ? Members use to discuss pipe, tobacco and music in this section at one point and time. Thank you and remember, smoke what you like and like what you smoke, and take time to contemplate. Be safe out there.

Comments

• Options
    vtgrad2003vtgrad2003 Master
    edited December 2022
    I know some of you aren't very big into Bluegrass, but my wife and I are huge Bluegrass fans. Here is a few from a band that we follow; the guitar player in particular is a fella by the name of Zeb Snyder...he's the best flat picker since Doc Watson in my opinion. He's from just down the road from where I live and have been following him since he was 11 and played with his sister (fiddle) and dad (stand-up bass) around here a lot and at big venues like Merlefest and such. (In the 3rd video notice Barry's hand.) Anyway, enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VegkklUD3Vo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_91cr_J_zjc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSc1_wYx2pk
  • Options
    @vtgrad2003;
    WOW! Now, they have a new fan.
  • Options
    vtgrad2003vtgrad2003 Master
    edited December 2022
    @opipeman
    They are good, aren't they? They're the next big Bluegrass group for sure. About a decade ago we had the Steep Canyon Rangers take the spotlight, then Balsam Range about five years ago...these guys are next. 
  • Options
    @vtgrad2003
    I have a Fender acoustic that lends itself to some bluegrass from time to time. 
    I have a good friend that I golf with and we also graduated HS together.
    He is an accomplished player on the:
    Guitar / + 12 string
    Banjo 
    Fiddle
    Mandolin
    and Upright bass
    He is on a very exclusive and short list down at Branson and Silver Dollar City to fill in for bluegrass groups that have contracted to play there and, for one reason or another ( sickness, etc.) , he gets called as a fill-in for various groups.
    He knows or is familiar with almost every bluegrass song out there. 
    All he needs from the group is:
    Song list
    What keys they're in
    What instrument is needed
    Plus any special Riff not normally with the song(s).
    Sidenote:
    Our golf group makes 2 major trips a year.
    I bring my acoustic and he brings 3 instruments, and we jam every night while on the trip.
    Naturally, at least half of our songs are bluegrass. And trust me when I say, he is REALLY good (with any of his instruments)!
    Oh, and thanks for sharing those videos...👍🏻
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    edited December 2022
    @vtgrad2003
    Great videos indeed.  I play a fair amount of OCMS and Dylan style folk rock.
    I am also a fan of Chris Thile
  • Options
    These guys are quite tight, and the gallows pole was indeed a great version.
  • Options
    @mapletop

That's what I look for in a great Bluegrass/Old Time band. I always judge them with 3 criteria:

1. How (as you said) tight are they...are there any parts of the song that could have sounded better than it did, etc. 
    2. How 'original' are they, not in their music, but in their character. There are way too many ensembles out there that claim to be Bluegrass (to a lesser extent, Old Time) but really aren't--they're basically a bunch of libtards that got together and think its cool to play their versions of the 'songs of the mountains'. To them it's somehow their way of 'connecting to the common man' to play Bluegrass music and nothing else (it's about as demeaning and condescending as you can get, frankly). You see it today in many of the old Bluegrass festivals that have been hijacked by groups like Donna and the Buffalo, Old Crow Medicine Show, and crap like that. You see the idiots watching them (nearly all city people), thinking they are listening to Bluegrass when what they are really listening to are warped versions of folk music in between flipping through their cell phones. If you asked anyone in the audience at these shows "what's the difference between Old Time and Bluegrass" they couldn't tell you. 
    3. Are they afraid to play any of the old ballads that today would be considered taboo (and most of them are). A good, true, Bluegrass/Old Time band will play those old songs without thinking twice about it, even in large public venues. There's a ton of history stored up in those old pieces and they want that to come out. 

Fortunately, and unlike rock and roll these days, there is still some really awesome talent coming out of the mountains. These guys have been around for a while, but my wife and I get a lot of pleasure going to see young talent at local Fiddlers Conventions and small Bluegrass events--young, true mountain talent and NOT someone that went to Julliard.